Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 03-20-2000, 04:59 PM

I'm hearing 1 fish/ 30 inch minimum for this year. Is this confirmed, or only a recommendation at ths time??
Old 03-20-2000, 04:59 PM

I'm hearing 1 fish/ 30 inch minimum for this year. Is this confirmed, or only a recommendation at ths time??
Old 03-20-2000, 10:01 PM

I have the MassWildlife book in my hands at the moment.(Hubby just got his freshwater license). Anyway, says daily creel is 1 and minimum length is 28".....Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2000, 10:26 PM

Thanx for the info, but I heard this new

1 fish/ 30 inch minimum may have been passed

at a March 14th meeting.
Old 03-20-2000, 11:59 PM

Johnny, Your right. One fish over 30". I Too bad they went through all the trouble to change it for nothing. Maybe next year we will see 36-40" limit.
Old 03-21-2000, 12:40 AM

Cowboy Dave,

Is it official, or still in the discussion phase?

Scott B.
Old 03-23-2000, 12:08 AM

Its official.....For 2000 1 fish....30 inch min length. Paul Diodoti and the Mass. marine fisheries commision voted it into the new regs last month.
Old 03-26-2000, 03:12 PM

My question is ... Why isn't this type of information more widely available? At least it doesn't seem to be. I consider my self to be a fairly hardcore fisherman. Although it's relatively early for even thinking about fishing in NE MA I'll be doing it soon enough. If I didn't have a computer and a craving for information about fishing then I probably wouldn't know about the size limit increase. Last time I was at the DMF website the limit was still 28". Maybe it has changed since then. I guess it is the responsiblity of the fishermen to check the limits. I would guess for the "less hardcore fisherman" they will probably just hear about this by word of mouth. Maybe I'm just raving about nothing. If there was a saltwater licensing program then this information would probably be more readily available to anglers. Not that I need another bill to pay, or to spend more money on fishing then I already do. Oh well, 30 inches it is. I thought, and I think many others did also, that 28 inches was a little ridiculous. Especially when it was 34 before. 34 was good and I wouldn't have even cared about 32. I hope that 30 still isn't too small. Looking at my fishing logs I caught 4 fish over 30 last year. That will be good enough for me. Either that or I'll just have to do more fishing.
Old 03-27-2000, 01:19 AM

Manchester Dave,
They just voted on this proposal at the last Ma Marine fishery commission meeting on 3-14-00. The postings for public comment and meeting schedules are posted in the DMF quarterly newsletters that you need to ask to be put on the mailing list for.
You may call DMF in Boston and ask to be put on the mailing list of the MAMFC agenda. They will mail to you the meeting agendas a day or two prior to the meeting. Or you may call DMF and ask.
Old 03-27-2000, 04:23 AM

I don't mean to sound to forward big deal they raised the size limit!! The size limit is not the problem!Let's keep on protecting the stripers and raising the size limit it will do nothing except cause a lot of aggravation . Has anyone noticed how thin the stripers you've been catching are,yes we need to concentrate on the bait that keeps these stripers returning to N.E. every year!Over the last 5 years has it been just me or has the fishing from the shore slowed? Yes ther are good months where fish are plentiful in early spring and late fall but what about the middle of the season.If we slowed the catch of bait down there would be schools of pogies in every harbour around! I can still remember seeing lrage schools of pogies in the river and for that matter every where I went fishing.Every fisherman had a few pogie snaggers in there tackle box and even had an extra rod for snagging with them!I guess the point I'm trying to make is we all can't blame the pogie boats because they are reacting to supply and demand it can only start with us the fisherman I don't have all the answers but maybe if we start trying to use different baits instead of pogies constantly things will change.Squid is excellent nobody uses it anymore back in the old days thats was the preferred bait of the fisherman.My dad used sand worms and he has a pic. of a 38lb. bass that took a sandworm so these other baits work.Hey maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree but this sport is ours and we should do our best to keep it running for the next generation.
Old 03-28-2000, 08:52 PM

I here you Jnovo 75. My bait of choice is herring. Last year it seemed that the herring supply was very thin and when you could get it, it was days old and the quality was terrible. I've had some luck with the worms and even a few decent sized fish on them. Everything has it's drawback, I think you also tend to get a lot of crabs, skates, and bottom snags with worms. Squid only seems to work in areas were squid are normally plentiful. Eels, I don't think are worth the money. Your right about the bait scarcity and the small size of the fish. I guess the catchphrase is "managing the ecosystem". There are those that will say when the size limit went up, then the lobsters became threatened, etc. etc. I usually try worms early in the season before the herring are readily available, so I don't imagine this year will be any different. There seemed to be any abundance of snapper blues around last year. We may see a good run of blufish in the years to come. Who knows what effect that will have on the stripers. So many variables, too much to think about. Can't wait to go fishing!