Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Shop Class > Amateur Plug Building

Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: I want to start making plugs need some advice

having built well over 10,000 lures in the past few years, can I give a quick lesson on through drilling??

OK. firstly clamp a piece of 4"x4" to your drill press base. Now drill a hole into the 4X4 that is the same diameter as the lure your going to use. This makes the center of the lure the center of the drill press automatically. Now make sure you use a brad point drill. They don't stray with the grain as easily as do conventional tip drills. I have the outside tips of my brad bits ground down at a machine shop to make it even less likely to grab grain.
Now drill halfway into the lure using 1/8 or 9/64 bit. and flip the lure and do the same from the other side. Now the best way is to round your stock first to what ever the largest dimention is of your final lure. i.e. 1 1/8" and drill the through hole first and then return your stock to the lathe for the final shaping. (you don't have to shape befor you drill).

It really makes life a lot easier.

Good luck and if you need any help, just give me a shout.

Armand
Old 01-05-2007, 11:46 AM
SS/Veteran

What's a brad point bit, and where do you get them???

Thanks

Old 01-05-2007, 05:18 PM

I found this pic on google, just click on the link to see a pic of a brad point bit:

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/data/tools/brbi10.jpg

Armand
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 AM
SS/Veteran

I have not built 1 plug yet, but I do woodwork. My Pops taught me whenever you are 'creating' something while woodworking, "a jig is always the answer". Thanks RI Popper for perfectly illustrating it.

I would imaging having a misalinged through wire would affect the lures action.

Do you have an opinion for a good airbrush? I have a bunch of good compressors. I also have a HPLV unit. Could/should I use that in applications of plug building?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:01 PM

The allignment of the through wire does effect the action of a lure with regard to the placement at the ends of the lure. If it's bent one way or the other it will force the lure to swim to the opposite direction of the bend. And depending on how high the loop is on the nose of the lip will dictace as to it's reaction on the surface and weather it wants to tip up or down.

With Air brushes I have little knowledge. I use the one I have and never tried another. I'm sure there are many experts on that here though. Probably Bay Stalker- he seems very adept at them.

Armand
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 AM

Pre drilleing works fine for some things like needles.
On some swimmers like danny's, the hole is off center.
The lip hole is low of center an requires drilling up towrds the top of the plug to keep the front swivel from hanging to low an tangling..
Cut a beachmaster danny in half an take a look..
Old 01-08-2007, 10:08 AM

Trying to help them out with the simplest way first NIB. Get some basics down then as they get more complicated designs like Darters and off center those are other areas. Origional question was to Start making plugs. Your absolutely right though, center isn't for all lures by any means.

Armand
Old 01-08-2007, 09:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Off center as it pertains to the top and bottom of the plug, not left or right of center.

I can see how a lower or higher placement and angles up and down within a plug can make it behave differently (in a more desirable way). Not left or right though.

Thanks for the come back. I worked on the man cave and the shop all weekend. My lathe is in real good condition considering it hasnt been used in a while.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Popper
Trying to help them out with the simplest way first NIB. Get some basics down then as they get more complicated designs like Darters and off center those are other areas. Origional question was to Start making plugs. Your absolutely right though, center isn't for all lures by any means.

Armand

A Danny is not a complicated design an is one of the premier wooden fish catching lures of all time..
In NJ,or anyplace Striped Bass swim.If u wanna make a plug u can catch a fish on make a 2oz Danny an paint it white,yellow or chartreuse.
Too much info is not a bad thing..