Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 10-28-2006, 09:39 AM

Default That's All Folk's!!!!

Another season comes to an end - for me anyway....

Good luck to all of you fortunate enough to keep on fishing.

Friday was it for me. Ran the beach at PI from sun up to sun down. Got to see some familiar faces for probably the last time until next year.

Lost a nice Hab's 2oz. needle at Emerson's Rocks (white with red head, if anybody recovers it!).

TattooBob lost a teaser, but then he found a plug rolling around on the bottom in almost waist deep surf. Turned out it was one of his favorites that he lost earlier that week at the same spot. Some guys have all the luck!

Picked up schoolies here and there, and put this nice eating sized keeper in the box for dinner tonight.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: That's All Folk's!!!!

Very nice way to end the season.
I'm am trying one more time.
I may even run the beach instead of staying put.
Way to go Togue
Old 10-28-2006, 12:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Sorry your season is ending to soon, I will be out there for the next 4 days and then off to the south for more action. I will hang it up around 12/1.

It was nice fishing with you, I had a great day/weeks out there this year.

Keeper of the light
Old 10-28-2006, 12:43 PM

Likewise!

I hate to toss in the towel just yet, but the schedule isn't looking good for another shot out. Who knows though, it ain't over until it's over, right?

TattooBob, you didn't miss much. As you were packing up I was getting swipes at my lure every cast, picked up a couple more schoolie bass, then it got dark and top water shut down, surf kept on picking up. Just don't feel right standing in the surf plugging at night with no one else around, and I already had a pretty good day out. When it comes to fishing, my wife says I get too greedy and keep at it too long, so I gutted my take and called it an early evening, home by 9.

Plum, just keep at it. Patience and persistance. It is easy to get frustrated with lures because it takes a lot of effort to keep casting away even when things are slow for long periods of time. With bait things go through slow days as well, but you can always just chuck in a couple of lines, park them in a spike, then sit back and wait - which is much easier.

With lures, it also helps to stay mobile. Next season I will use bait only in very limited situations, and seldomly. I am starting to think that even putting in a bait line then fishing lures nearby is too restrictive, ties you down, wastes a lot of time with baiting hooks, checking lines, hauling in little fish, etc. Better to concentrate on plugging and travel light.

- So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:22 PM

not ready to give up yet,im mixing deer hunting in the morning and striper fishing at night, i love this time of year
Old 10-31-2006, 07:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Yep that's all folks

Time to shine up my gear and put it away.
Caught about 5 fish all day yesterday, all tiny.

It's time for me to go back to the real world of work and family obligations.

Nice to see Don and Tattoo and Togue out there yesterday.
Notice how great the buggy path was on the way out?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:46 PM

Storm wiped the trails and beach clean. The wind yesterday was erasing the buggy tracks almost as fast as they got laid down earlier in the day. Nice, like a clean slate. Also flattened out the beach and churned up too much sand, not good for the fishing.

That's it for me. I am completely done for the year now. Monday was an unexpected treat, got to get in one last run. Today is it for the drive-on season and I'm not even fishing. It will have to wait until May 2007.

Time to clean and put away the gear, lube the reels, replace hooks, whip up some bucktail/feathers/crystalflash trailer hooks, and watch the snow fly. Who knows, maybe I'll even try my hand at making a plug or two.

I'll definitely ice fish when and if we get any ice, then hit the salmon and lake trout again from the boat in April, but nothing compares to surfcasting!

See you all next year!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togue
Today is it for the drive-on season and I'm not even fishing.
You didn't miss a whole lot today. I was out there from 5AM to 3PM and got about a half dozen fish, all small. Had to work for every one of them. Everyone I talked to was doing about the same, or less. Really slow. The ocean was almost like glass, not much moving water out there.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Well as soon as a small blitz would start a seal would pop up and the fish were gone. I was a great day today, around 3:30 a rip of warmer water that came out of the Merrimac River went buy and we got a few small fish.
I was a really great fall on the refuge for me I fished 6 out of 7 days a week for 2 months, but like anything all good things come to an end.

Keeper of the light
Old 11-01-2006, 08:38 AM
SS/Veteran

Tight lines on your next adventure.
Let us know how you did