Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Shrimp

Frank, I know we've mentioned shrimp in other threads, and I've read about your shrimp flies in FFtSS, but I was wondering if you've had any more recent thoughts and experiences with shrimp flies, shrimp jigs or bait, or striper dynamics when shrimp seemed to be the predominant bait?
Old 03-08-2015, 04:56 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Shrimp

Nothing more recent in the sense of there being anything new. Grass shrimp are a staple in striper diets and when they are around bass will swill on them. On average they are only about an inch long and are quite easy to tie a suitable rendition. If you fly fish even a poorly tied grass shrimp, you are going to clean up. Again, dead drift them in the current; no jiggling or movement should be imparted to the fly. What I do is watch for them in the estuary where they have been found in the past, Or, if you check stomach contents on a killed fish and find shrimp that is your signal that the party is on.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:21 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanx Frank! I've been thinking that I want to put more time into shrimp imitations...flies and jigs both. I figure when the bass are being picky, it couldn't hurt to try something small and subtle. I have some 3-4" scented rubber shrimp jigs I'm gonna try.
I saw some interesting patterns on some European websites. Letsflyfish (.com) has Ally's Shrimp...a wet fly with an elongated tail and golden pheasant tippets for eyes. He gets his color schemes based on prawns he netted on a trawler. He describes them as translucent whitish grey with a tinge of orangey pink, and distinctive guts that show up as a black blob. Ally Gowan has several color combos...popular fly for Atlantics and steelhead. I know prawns are different from grass shrimp, but it's something to possibly use as a base model.
The other site is Globalflyfisher (.com). They have several sparse wooly worm/bugger type patterns along with several different shrimp patterns. One called the Mini Pig looks interesting.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

here's a picture of our local grass shrimp:
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
here's a picture of our local grass shrimp:
The one on the right is a female full of eggs!
617-755-3740
www.littlesister1.com
Old 03-09-2015, 02:46 PM

Good one Salmon. I have been playing with grass shrimp imitation teasers for 2-3 years, they work well as teasers for me as I haven't taken up fly fishing (yet?). A good material to play with is the stretchy soft monofilament they sell in craft stores for bracelet making. It's clear and can be wound on the hook quickly and creates an effective translucent shrimp body...easiest and my favorite is the gulp shrimp - as a bait, teaser or on a jig head works great for whatever is around- bass, blues,weaks, fluke- they all love it.
When bass raid the back early season they are definitely swilling on them as are weakfish and fluke when they arrive. It is a major feed that doesn't get a lot of copy... I will be harassing white perch over the next few weeks or more and they love em' too!
-Phil
Old 03-09-2015, 03:12 PM

Phil, would be great to see a pic of your creation!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:11 PM

Name:  shrimp flies R.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  107.0 KB

Here are some good shrimp flies on the left I bought either at Rivers End or Kittery Trading Post. The scruffy, poor renditions on the left are the reason why I had to go to a B&T for nice ones. You have to capture that opaque look, though I did catch a lot of schoolies and mediums with all those pictured.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:53 PM
SS/Veteran

I find it interesting in that the least appealing fly, the one on the upper right, is the best imitation of the real thing by far.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Phil, would be great to see a pic of your creation!
Rob last time I asked about how to post pictures Frank put up a picture of a racy blonde with a hand cannon aimed at the camera and she had forgot to put on her shirt, which completely distracted me from any further instructions... I wanted HER to give me instructions!!haha Ok so I have pictures on my I-phone how do I put them up? I don't understand how it works honestly.... I know how to send pictures in texts and email so I am probably not hopeless.
-Phil
Old 03-10-2015, 07:56 AM

Phil,

The easiest way is to go to the reply box (where I'm typing this) and click on the "Go Advanced" button.

Then a new window comes up (where I am now typing this... still) and you scroll down and see "Additional Options"

Under there is a button labeled "Manage Attachments"

Click that and a box will come up, which says "Upload from your computer"

Click a "browse" button in that box, select your photo, click OK

Then you come back to the box and click "upload"

Seems like a lot of steps but try it once and you will see it's very easy
Old 03-10-2015, 10:02 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuaCLV5Ps3U

I like this 1
Old 03-10-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk Surf View Post
I find it interesting in that the least appealing fly, the one on the upper right, is the best imitation of the real thing by far.
That upper right shrimp fly is plastic sheeting, probably from a Ziplock bag, cut in strips and wrapped around the hook shank to suggest segmentation. Like so many fly renditions, it does not look pretty but it works. Something about a life like tie, as like the ones on the left, that gets an angler horsed. They work too.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
That upper right shrimp fly is plastic sheeting, probably from a Ziplock bag, cut in strips and wrapped around the hook shank to suggest segmentation. Like so many fly renditions, it does not look pretty but it works. Something about a life like tie, as like the ones on the left, that gets an angler horsed. They work too.
That upper right shrimp has the best silhouette and color...looks like it's been sharpened one too many times also.
That plastic sheeting is a good material for shellbacks on shrimp and on freshwater scud and Czech nymphs/flies too.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:04 PM

Burk Flex-o-Lure makes a cast rubber shimp around an inch long that is so realistic a wild shrimp will try to mount it Only thing wrong is that the hook is too puny for stripers. I used to use the Burk shrimp for sea-run trout in tidewater, back when the estuarine brown trout were managed by the Mass Division. For browns under ten pounds, which was about the upper limit, the hook worked well but the average sea-run could inhale that lure/fly and if I could see a brown holding in the current, it was a duck soup certainty the trout would pursue it with abandon. Moreover, these Cape estuaries were lousy with grass shrimp.