Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: National Rifle Association -- extremists?

I get upset when people blame the guns. Another thing happening that is scary is that the anti-gun extremists have sued Remington Arms into bankruptcy. There goes the peaceful use of firearms.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:41 PM

Well, that’s understandable, but there are more guns than people in the US currently and I’m not sure that’s a good thing.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM
SS/Veteran

We have a safe full of guns. Reason for this is that one does not use the same gun to shoot ducks as one does for deer as clay targets. Then there are special seasons, like muzzleloaders. There are spares in case one breaks down. There are two of us so everything is times two. Pretend that I am a whacko: how many guns can I use at one time? Point is that counting guns proves nothing. That line -- too many guns -- comes from the anti-gun movement.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:31 AM

Well, now we’re onto guns, which in my opinion is a completely different conversation than the NRA. However, you may see it differently.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
You don't have to leave, Bob. We allow differences of opinion. Our guns are not going to be taken away as along as there are Republicans in Congress and Whitehouse. I don't want to hunt with a sharp stick and I love hunting just as much as I love fishing.
Your guns might not be taken away, but our Democratic Institutions sure are,
Old 06-05-2018, 01:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuz66 View Post
Your guns might not be taken away, but our Democratic Institutions sure are,
I don't understand your remark. I assume, from what you say, that you oppose the NRA, the recreational use of firearms?
Old 06-05-2018, 01:16 PM

"The Buying of Public Policy" is abhorrent, and may be the #1 reason the Govt. seems so dysfunctional at times.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 PM
SS/Veteran

I agree with your opposition of buying public policy. The unions do as much of that as does the NRA. Then we have the pharmaceuticals lobbying in Congress. Never forget that the voting booth remains. Incidently, do you ever think of how few people actually vote in elections?
Old 06-08-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I agree with your opposition of buying public policy. The unions do as much of that as does the NRA. Then we have the pharmaceuticals lobbying in Congress. Never forget that the voting booth remains. Incidently, do you ever think of how few people actually vote in elections?
Good point, so if Big Pharma can get sued, why not the NRA? Discussion for another time perhaps. Yes, too many people do not vote. I think it was John Boehner who said, elections are won by how many people you can get to come out and vote.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:52 AM
SS/Veteran

The NRA can be sued but those who do are going to lose because of the Second Amendment. Again, I don't want to keep my guns because of the need for protection; we just want to keep hunting which is a cultural activity.

Incidently, all those gun deaths our critics keep talking about are more than half suicides. Not really planning to kill myself but there are better ways than blowing your brains out with a firearm.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:26 AM

Why would they lose on the 2nd amd? I'm not talking about ownership. Hunting is a great sport, not for me anymore. I do however take issue with killing something (fish included) if you don't eat it. So, if your a trophy hunter, sorry, but your not really a hunter at that point.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Senior Fellow

Be it hunting. target shooting, protection or collection I have greater fear of those who fear guns and the 2nd Amendment than I do all of the artillery in my state, and NC is loaded. I've chatted with Wayne LaPierre, an intense, articulate and bright guy, and could understand how his opposition holds him in distain just like they probably do many others who are on the right side of an issue.

The NRA lobby is a fraction of the size of planned parenthood yet so many of those opposed to the NRA because of a relative handful of gun deaths are in favor of planned parenthood, planned infanticide, and ripping millions of babies a year from the womb. Don't get it, never will but the hypocrisy is colossal.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 06-08-2018, 02:02 PM

"A relative handful of gun deaths??" Really??? Are you from Australia? Yep NC is loaded with guns and guess what?? They rank #4 in states with the most school shootings from 2013-15. That's not meant as a slight against NC, but rather pointing out that states with lax gun laws have higher rates of gun crime. Because it's legal, doesn't mean it's the ' right side of an issue '. IE: your abortion argument.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:44 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: National Rifle Association -- extremi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakuz66 View Post
"A relative handful of gun deaths??" Really??? Are you from Australia? Yep NC is loaded with guns and guess what?? They rank #4 in states with the most school shootings from 2013-15. That's not meant as a slight against NC, but rather pointing out that states with lax gun laws have higher rates of gun crime. Because it's legal, doesn't mean it's the ' right side of an issue '. IE: your abortion argument.
Rak, you're "cherry picking" your data here! School shootings are a subset of total gun deaths...and you're only basing your argument on a two year time span! You could take an area where there are a significant amount of gun deaths, but they may not have had school shootings. Just saying that you could make a better argument for yourself. Also, my understanding is that D.C. and Chicago have tough gun laws...and plenty of violent crime anyway.
Some gun laws are ridiculous: After one of the school shootings a while back the politicians reduced the number of bullets in a clip, and then patted themselves on the back...but forgot that you could still have more than one gun...

I agree with Biggestsquid on the abortion thing. A while back someone made a comment on another site that potential young gun owners should have to go through all the red tape that a young woman goes through to get an abortion: consent, waiting periods, availability only in certain areas...there's a long list. My comment to that person was that I agree...but keep in mind that most legal/responsible gun owners hunt and target shoot. Abortion on the other hand is only used for one thing...IT HAS NO RECREATIONAL COMPONENT.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Ain't getting into no abortion discussion, and most men probably shouldn't either. Bsquid wrote a "handful" of gun deaths, and that's just not true. You call it cherry picking, but I cited data from the state he mentioned, NC, and they score high. Off the top of my head, first thing Monday morning with only 2 sips of coffee in me, I *think* a vast majority of states with lax gun laws have higher gun crime rates. Also, I think a lot of people own guns for protection, and that's fine. My issue really isn't with guns per say, as I have stated, but I do take issue with the NRA.