Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Driving on the beach at IBSP question

Now remember, you guys said no dumb questions...

My plan this year was to get a beach pass for my jeep so that I could fish in the spring and fall and take the dog, girlfiend and friends to the beach in the summer. After reading the rules of beach driving it seems that they're very keen on driving privildges used only for fishing. How strict is this policy? If I have two poles in the sand will anyone care that my girlfriend isn't killing clams? Do the other people fishing mind beach-goers with buggies? I've fished IBSP in the summer and I can't imagine that all those trucks were there because of the amazing striper action, though I could be wrong. Could someone give me a sense of how things work?

Chris
Old 03-14-2007, 04:47 PM
SS/Insider

Default Re: Driving on the beach at IBSP question

There was a big discussion about this in the following thread...
http://stripersurf.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22781

You might have to go a few pages in to find where it starts...

There are people who don't mind this and others that take a major offense to it.

I don't fish much at IBSP so I don't have much of an opinion on it.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Thats a slippery slope my man. Me, and my ilk dont care much cause no one gets a tan at night or in the cold, rain and snow.

If you are fishing and the significant other is reading James Patterson, no harm.

After that it goes downhill fast. The fact is it is a sportfishing permit and thats what the focus of what are doing with a buggy. If that means having a ho-down with the family getting them to love fishing by campfire and goofing around that is all good.

What is uncool during the bennie-googan season, is to spike a pole with no bait just to get a tan with no intention to fish.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
SS/Veteran

Reitz, if you mind your own buissiness, keep the dogs under control, and get there early to find a spot, you'll be alright. Go south of A23, no walk ons there.

Lots of judgment calls, get on the beach before any one else and you'll be fine.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tank View Post
get on the beach before any one else and you'll be fine.
Or stay after they leave
Old 03-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Moderator, Team SS

They dont need to know how to use it but have fishing equipment for all adults stay below A7, the first acess, Gilkens is in the Northern Natural Area and swimmers and sunbathers shouldn't be their. In the daylight hours of the summer don't think you will have a problem, then again I don't know if I've ever been out front between the middle of June till after Labor day, I chose to go out back or find less busy palces and during the summer in Jersey that is out of the way freshwater.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM

That's exactly what I was looking for--thanks a lot. Believe me, if I'm on the beach there's a clam in the water. Even if the intention is to do some grilling, maybe sunbath a bit, I still want to catch a fish if a school of blues happen by. It's just that the little lady doesn't feel the same way in the middle of August.

Terrific info again. Thanks.

Chris
Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 PM

Reitz,
Dont forget that you have all those suffolk county beaches in NY,probably alot closer to you.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Reitz,
There are actually specific regulations pertaining to the mobile sportfishing vehicle permit at IBSP. (chris c, I haven't seen that thread so sorry if this is a repeat.) I just happen to have the ones you get at the gatehouse right in front of me. All persons over 12 must have gear, are restricted to fishing and related activities, shall be actively engaged in fishing activities when on the beach midnight to 4am and when at Gillikin's anytime. (Paraphrased but close enough.) If you have a rod and reel for her you're good. (I included the reel...family site.) Now, in the Summer I'm not too sure it would go over too well if you drop $195 and can't bring a guest because the state park police strictly enforced these rules. Plus there's the walk on folks in the mix. Plenty of folks aren't fishing. Some guys bring enough gear and just put them in spikes and perhaps throw out a line. Others don't. I've seen people being checked but maybe for alcohol or no leash or who knows.

Does everone know and conform to this? Not always.
Can you get a ticket or lose your pass? I'm not sure.
Will this be enforced more this year? We'll see I guess.

Personally in the Summer, I leave the beach shortly after sun up or go on near sundown. If I bring the kids we're out before lunch. It's a zoo down there at times and I avoid the major crowds.

(I haven't posted in a while. Hi all!)
Old 03-15-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
Or stay after they leave

Best time of day to hit the beach! We walk on aorund 3pm and most people are leaving within 2 hours of that. Less corwded, fishing is better, and sunsets rock!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Tank View Post
Reitz, if you mind your own buissiness, keep the dogs under control, and get there early to find a spot, you'll be alright. Go south of A23, no walk ons there.

Lots of judgment calls, get on the beach before any one else and you'll be fine.

Chris,
What everyone else said is true, but Fishtank sums it the best. Get there early, find a spot set up. Keep the dogs and/or kids under control. Have fishing equipment for all the adults. Just basic common sense stuff. During the summer, the park police aren't that interested in busting horns over someone sitting on the beach, just making sure everyone is getting along. A7 south is the "southern recreational zone", and they are pretty liberal in the interpretation. Gillikens is fishing only, so dont expect them to look the other way if the kids are playing frisbee, or you are just walking your dog, etc. Seems reasonable to me. Gillikens is maybe a mile and a half, A7 south, you have about 4 miles or so to do pretty much what you want.