Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 AM

Default NPS Beach Night Driving Restriction

Frank,

I found the following letter on another website this morning.
If NPS is already enforcing a beach night driving restriction on Ocracoke (NC), I imagine it will only be a matter of time before NJ, RI, and the Cape follows suite...............

July 8: NPS Responds to SELC's Request to Padlock Your Seashore
Thursday, 08 July 2010 12:34
United States Department of the Interior

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
Fort Raleigh National Historic Site Wright Brothers National Memorial
Cape Hatteras National Seashore
IN REPLY REFER TO: 1401 National Park Drive, Manteo, NC 27954 252-473-2111
July 8, 2010

Julie Youngman and Derb Carter
Southern Environmental Law Center
200 West Franklin Street, Suite 330
Chapel Hill, NC 27516-2559

Larry Hardham
Cape Hatteras Access Preservation Alliance
P.O. Box 1355
Buxton, NC 27920

David K. Joyner, President
North Carolina Beach Buggy Association
P.O. Box 940
Manteo, NC 27954

John Couch, President
Outer Banks Preservation Association
P.O. Box 1355
Buxton, NC 27920

Dear Ms. Youngman and Messrs. Carter, Joyner, Hardham, and Couch:

This responds to your recent correspondence regarding the nesting loggerhead turtle that was
struck and killed by an off-road vehicle (ORV) on Ocracoke Island on or about June 23 or 24,
2010. Thank you for expressing your concerns. We appreciate how important this issue is to all
interested parties.

The matter is still under investigation. At the time of the incident, the National Park Service
(NPS) was in compliance and continues to be in compliance with the requirements of the consent
decree. The available information indicates that the incident occurred during the early morning
hours of June 24 and therefore was committed by someone illegally operating an ORV on the
beach in violation of the 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. night driving restriction. The death of the turtle is
absolutely reprehensible and underscores the necessity of improving visitor compliance with
resource protection requirements. However, it is important to recognize this incident for what it
was - a criminal violation of the night driving restriction that has resulted in tragic consequences.
While it is a clear example of the risk that night driving can pose to nesting sea turtles, this is the
first ORV-caused fatality of a nesting sea turtle ever recorded at the Seashore.

I appreciate the concerns about the adequacy of NPS law enforcement staffing and the request
for increased nighttime monitoring. We recognize that the presence of law enforcement patrol
staff serves as a deterrent to criminal conduct; however, no realistic amount of law enforcement
coverage can eliminate all criminal violations of resource protection measures at the Seashore.
We have a dedicated staff of law enforcement rangers who work varied hours to expand the
hours of coverage and conduct random patrols after 10 p.m. when the night driving restriction
begins. Though we do not advertise it for obvious reasons, we also deploy surveillance cameras
at various locations and times in an additional effort to detect violations of resource protection
measures. As of July 5. 2010, NPS rangers have already issued 9 violation notices, 33 written
warnings, and 21 verbal warnings for violating the night time driving closure this season, in
addition to issuing numerous violation notices and warnings for violations of other resource
protection regulations. Recently, through good investigation, the law enforcement staff was able
to locate, identify and charge two suspects with violating the night time driving closure and
vandalizing a turtle nesting enclosure in Rodanthe on July 1, 2010.

Therefore, we must deny SELC's request to immediately expand the hours of night driving
restrictions and erect gates to physically close all ORV ramps during those hours. As you are
aware, in March 1010 the NPS released a draft ORV management plan/environmental impact
statement (DEIS). The public comment period closed May 11, 2010 and NPS is not accepting
additional comments on the DEIS. The action alternatives (C-F) described in the DEIS
contemplated different hour options for night driving restrictions, as well as the installation of
gates at all ramps and access points (see DEIS, Chapter 2, Table 8, Ramp Characteristics, page
107). We are in the process of preparing the final plan/environmental impact statement (FEIS),
as well as the proposed special regulation required for the operation of ORVs at the Seashore.
The turtle incident, despite being a despicable criminal act resulting in a tragedy, is also a
learning moment that the NPS will seriously consider in making a final decision about night
driving restrictions in the ORV management plan and special regulation.
In closing, we appreciate your interest in the management of Cape Hatteras National Seashore
and look forward to your further involvement.

Sincerely,
Michael B. Murray
Michael B. Murray
Superintendent
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Old 07-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: NPS Beach Night Driving Restriction

I can only say, because I have not been in the ongoing dispute there, that I warned anglers in my 1989 book that "spoon fed in small doses they had their hands on the surf fisherman's knee. Otherwise there would have been riotious response had the NPS levied their restrictions all at once." Not only have they learned how but they practiced on Cape Cod.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I can only say, because I have not been in the ongoing dispute there, that I warned anglers in my 1989 book that "spoon fed in small doses they had their hands on the surf fisherman's knee. Otherwise there would have been riotious response had the NPS levied their restrictions all at once." Not only have they learned how but they practiced on Cape Cod.
Yes Sir, Frank, and you were so correct. The DOW, Audubon, SELC, and the NPS have been nibbling away at us for 5 years now, like a quiet mouse [Wharf Rat, to be more precise] on a cubic foot of cheese.
We've been fighting them hard, but they have too much money and way too much clout, and we OB fishermen, residents, and businesses have too little of both.
Thanks Stan for bringing that to the attention of our readers.
MULE.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:53 AM

Don't worry, Steve, they are shaking in their boots. They know how insignificant that they are in these times of wars all over the planet, space agency cuts, and government over-spending to the tune of huge deficits that the voters have grown tired of. Gates, closures, and riling the public is their feeble way of implying how important they are. They are struggling to maintain their Friday afternoon paper clip wars at the office. We have them all over the country riding horseback in uniforms with guns they don't know how to use. Its not just the Outer Banks.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Don't worry, Steve, they are shaking in their boots. They know how insignificant that they are in these times of wars all over the planet, space agency cuts, and government over-spending to the tune of huge deficits that the voters have grown tired of. Gates, closures, and riling the public is their feeble way of implying how important they are. They are struggling to maintain their Friday afternoon paper clip wars at the office. We have them all over the country riding horseback in uniforms with guns they don't know how to use. Its not just the Outer Banks.
Thanks Frank.
And I would like to give here my sincere thanks to all the fishermen and surf fishermen in the states North of North Carolina, especially the Virginia surf fishermen, who for the last 20 years have done more to help us in the bad situations at Hatteras, along with a few of us, than the N.C. fishermen. This is exactly why that when N.C. surf fishermen start complaining about all of the out of state license tags at Hatteras, I never fail to point out this tidbit of information.
I have, over the years, fished with and talked to untold dozens of Northern surf fishermen, down here at Hatteras, and the one thing that I admire is their aggression on any issue, and I am not talking about rude.
It seems that we good ole Rebels have a tendency to B**** and gripe, but you boys take far more definitive action.
That is one of the reasons that this is my favorite fishing site, over any other N.C. site that we have. Ya'll call it like you see it.
If any of you are interested in following this unholy mess that we are in on the Outer banks, that Stan [Va. Gentleman] covered so well, you can do so by googling in the ISLAND FREE PRESS, who now has an Editor that doesn't mind expressing her opinion on this fiasco, and allowing others to do the same.

Thanks. MULE.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
We have them all over the country riding horseback in uniforms with guns they don't know how to use.
Frank,

As you stated, the NPS practiced on Cape Cod...............

"Back in the day", (late 70's/early 80's), we were fishing at Long Point. As this was after the NPS closed off Wood End to OSV, we used a fourteen foot semi-vee (as a taxi) to get out to Long Point. Beached the boat and started fishing. Here comes the Gestapo (NPS), on horseback, and they both really did look like Gestapo! Hitler-style black boots, dark black sunglasses, military creases on their uniforms, and overkill sidearms

They ride up, literally within feet of us, and stated we cannot be "camping" here. My response: "We are not camping; we are fishing." Bottom line: we had to leave

Stan
Old 07-16-2010, 03:46 PM

What is getting scary is the growing contempt the average citizen is beginning to exhibit toward government. When the pendulum swings the other way we will have anarchey. Soon the eye rollers will outnumber the enforcers and everything will be whatever each of us thinks is right. It has already started in Marine Fisheries.