Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Team SS

Question Spring plug-bag, what do you pack

So I'm looking at my piles of fishing gear all discombobulated. The fall wood, winter metal, etc., etc.,....
With some upcomming trips to IBSP on the calander its time to reorganise...I couldn't help thinking that I may not be the only one in this mode.

Beach Jetty, inlet & outback....Bunker are around, some schoolies, a couple keepers, blues and perhaps a weakie or two

As we enter into the spring season, what don't you leave home (or buggy) w/out? Whats in your spring plug bag & what are your go to lures
White bucktails, big poppers, medium to large rubber shads....
Please help me pack my bag

Thanks
JD
Old 05-03-2008, 12:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Spring plug-bag, what do you pack

Tins & metals in varried weights and profiles ranging from 1.5oz. to 3oz

3oz. Bucktails with paddle tail shads like used on umbrella rigs, 6" in length.

Pre-tied teaser rigs and leaders

1 big home made pencil, 2 megabait poppers, 2 big homemade metal lips detailed by Bennyraw

2 snagging trebles

assortment of calcutta shads.

95% of my plugging this time of year is done in the Barney inlet from the rocks, or the ocean side from the jetti. If I'm headed to the back it's almost exclusively long rod.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:22 PM
SS/Veteran

Day Bag (All whites, yellows, & parrot):
4 Plugcaster Pencils (Large)
1 Tuna Hunter
2 SS Poppers
2 Smack-Its
4 Metal Lips (Though I don't use them much in the Spring)
10" & 14" Hogy's (Pink & White)
1.5-3oz Andrus Bucktails (White, Green, Yellow)
2 T-Hex Metals (1oz & 2oz)
1 3oz Krocodile Spoon
6" Pearl Storm Shads
1 Snagging Treble

Night Bag (Black, Burple, Rootbeer, Black/Orange, & Some whites):
2 Needlefish
2 SS Little Necks
2 SS Darters
2 Metal Lips
2 Bombers
2 Tattoo's Jointed Eels
10" & 14" Black Hogy's
1.5-3oz Andrus Bucktails (White & Red)
1 Snagging Treble

I just stick with what works for me, w/ the occasional "new" plug thrown in here and there. My plug collection is loaded with things that I will probably never use

Member - Jersey Shore Surfcasters
Old 05-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Some BT
Some twister tails for the BT
Some Metal
Couple swimmers
Couple poppers
Some teasers
Pretied teaser rigs
Needlefish
9" Sluggos
Snag Treble

Well tahts what I just packed for a road trip to some south jersey rock piles

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:42 PM

- I just want to add 1 more thing, I am sure it was just simply overlooked. - Make sure you tuck some Wire leaders in your bag - in case you find yourself snagging Bunker being harassed by Gorilla Bluefish, or although rare - Big Weakfish. Kind of a HUGE drag when you are in that situation without wire leaders with a snagging hook in your bag.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Team SS

Thanks for sharing everyone
So BunkerChunker, are you saying that you use wire for weakies
Keep those ideas flowing, we cal all learn from each other.
JD
Old 05-04-2008, 10:44 AM
SS/Veteran

I never carry wire because I'm just not a big fan of them. I always have 100# leaders tied up which have worked fine for blues. If I see the line is damaged, I just switch my rig.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Couple yo-zuri minnows
Yo-zuri popper
diamond jig
hopkins /w bucktail
needlefish
Finesse fish /w jigheads
always have 80lb mono leader and a few steel leaders
Old 05-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

I hate wire too but I don't care if you use 1/4" rope, you don't lip hook a gorilla and it's only a matter of time before they cut through...

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdbike View Post
Thanks for sharing everyone
So BunkerChunker, are you saying that you use wire for weakies
Keep those ideas flowing, we cal all learn from each other.
JD
If I am fishing for weakies with Fin-S or small plastics then no, I will not use wire. If I am fishing a school of large Bunker chances are the fish that will be on them will be large - large Weakies and Bluefish obviously have bigger teeth... so I will be using a wire leader when I am live lining or chunking Bunker in a pod of Bunker that I know is being harassed by Bluefish "and" Weakfish - for the record, I have never seen a pod of large Bunker being harassed by Weakfish alone, I have seen them tagged up with large Bluefish before though- so the wire leader is mainly for safety from the Bluefish's ferocious razor teeth. I always live line Bunker without wire at first... for the fact that Stripers can be spooked by a wire leader (or so myth has it) - but 2 years ago the Stripers were so aggressive I was catching 30 pounders on bunker with the weighted treble snagging hook in their side - normally, when I reel the Bunker in that I just snagged, I will transfer it to a hook to line rig at first... and if I get bit off I then switch to a wire leader. I agree with the comment that it doesn't matter if you are using 1/4" rope in a school of large Bluefish... eventually they will definitely bite through it - I don't see why throwing a wire leader on is such a big deal - but to each his own.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 PM
SS/Veteran

For one, when plugging, I'm usually targeting bass.

If I'm in a spot that has nothing but blues, I check my leader after I land every fish. If it's damaged, I have a half dozen more 100# rigs that I can replace it with. NTM I don't exactly throw out anything that I'll cry over losing or damaging. I haven't had many problems with blues biting through my line when I go heavier. Yes, they rip it up, but it holds.

I know a lot of you enjoy an hour or two worth of bluefish, but I'm not one of them. If there are blues ripping up bunker, trust me, the bass aren't far behind. A simple change in strategy will land you some nice bass in those situations.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAOSIN View Post
For one, when plugging, I'm usually targeting bass.

If I'm in a spot that has nothing but blues, I check my leader after I land every fish. If it's damaged, I have a half dozen more 100# rigs that I can replace it with. NTM I don't exactly throw out anything that I'll cry over losing or damaging. I haven't had many problems with blues biting through my line when I go heavier. Yes, they rip it up, but it holds.

I know a lot of you enjoy an hour or two worth of bluefish, but I'm not one of them. If there are blues ripping up bunker, trust me, the bass aren't far behind. A simple change in strategy will land you some nice bass in those situations.
... Well true, I am usually targeting Bass as well - I certainly don't use wire leaders throwing plugs... or anytime besides livelining around Gorilla Blues, unless it is rare MAYHEM of Blues like I mentioned in another thread, where they are biting anything that moves - at that point I will most likely throw leaders on with plugs etc. Kind of common sense - I don't think there are any secrets here. I always believed that Bass MUST be around when Blues are shredding Bunker... although, I have tried numerous times chunking on the bottom or livelining behind the school where Blues are present - targetting Bass that are picking up the leftovers... I have only managed 1 or 2 Bass doing this method from what I remember. Could you please share how you target Bass when Blues are ripping up Bunker? That would be very valuable information... I am glad you raised that point - because I haven't had much luck doing so. Thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 12:49 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerChunker View Post
... Well true, I am usually targeting Bass as well - I certainly don't use wire leaders throwing plugs... or anytime besides livelining around Gorilla Blues, unless it is rare MAYHEM of Blues like I mentioned in another thread, where they are biting anything that moves - at that point I will most likely throw leaders on with plugs etc. Kind of common sense - I don't think there are any secrets here. I always believed that Bass MUST be around when Blues are shredding Bunker... although, I have tried numerous times chunking on the bottom or livelining behind the school where Blues are present - targetting Bass that are picking up the leftovers... I have only managed 1 or 2 Bass doing this method from what I remember. Could you please share how you target Bass when Blues are ripping up Bunker? That would be very valuable information... I am glad you raised that point - because I haven't had much luck doing so. Thanks
Well, I'm not gonna claim I have it down to an exact science, but I've tried a couple things in the past, especially during Fall blitzes. Half the time it's a matter of being lucky.

For example; One day at Sandy Hook, we had a steady blitz for a few hours at North Beach. There were approximately 30 guys catching blues while at least 5 of us were catching bass. They were all using topwaters and casting right into the blitz. We were using bucktails & shads and casting to the outskirts of the blitz and even behind. If you work the outer skirts of the blitz, you CAN find bass. Of course, you're still gonna get some blues, but it's less likely because they are going nuts on the bait & topwaters.

I'm not by any means a genius when it comes to this tactic, but it's worked for me quite a bit in the past.

Another thing I do is slow my retrieve which I feel cuts down a bit on bluefish hookups during a blitz. I try to keep my presentation very low where the bass are feeding on the "leftovers".

Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 AM

hey thanks Saosin, I appreciate you sharing that.

I am going to focus on the outside and bottom of the pods this season, (hopefully I will get the opportunity to) - I've seen videos of charter boat captains using up to 16 oz. of lead to get a live Bunker to the bottom (considering tides/currents etc.) - I'm going to give that a shot... from a boat obviously. Although a nice 20-35 pounder is a SERIOUS fish, if I am ever going to score on a 35 + pounder I would assume my chances will be increased getting that Bunker on the bottom!

- Thanks
Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Team SS

Good stuff gentlemen.
Even thought this post was a question about what plugs we pack in early season, the issue of bite-off & big blues came up.
I'll say I've had great luck avoiding bite-offs while chunking gorrillas using 60lb floro & big circles. Now I do change the leader when it gets nicked. But the beauty of the circles is that it slides all othe way out to the corner of the mouth, leaving the hook in the bite of the blue and the line outside of the mouth.
Gotta out myself here, I'm still a bit of a goog when it come to pluggin' bass. When I compare the past two years of hacking at plugging w/ the previous two of bait chunking, life was simpler, MUCH cheaper, and I caught more (although nothing big w/stripes).
Man do I have a ton to learn about plugging. Hopefully I'll get a bit of a handle on it along w/ a bigger striper or two.
Thanks for all of the great input.
Now....back to packing my lure bag for this comming weekend and the next 3 in a row Wow, I even sound like a goog
JD