Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - New Jersey

Fishing - New Jersey New Jersey Fishing Reports and Information covering Sandy Hook south to Cape May

Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM

Default April 09 Fishing Reports

Ahhhhh,April the first blues and weakfish are sure to be landed,and the first surf caught stripers are a sure bet also,hit'em up....
Old 03-31-2009, 08:30 PM

Default Re: April 09 Fishing Reports

Fished today from 3-7pm near Keyport. No luck for me, however I did see a ton of birds crashing on bait in the bay. They were just off the pier. Too far for me to wade out too.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
SS/Veteran

went out last night from 6pm till 12am fished the whole incoming with only to hits on clams only saw 1 short pulled up very slow night compared to the last couple days i think the problem was lack of wind the water was like glass and no real wind at all water temp was good just no "bump" to the waterwell i got a dozen clams left so may hit it tonight if the rain isnt to bad
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 PM
Team SS '08,SS/Insider

Fished the Big-D 3/29 with plugs nothing. A friend had a really nice musky follow his lure to his feet but no strike. But was good just to get out. Water temps are just under 50 so its not gonna be long. FYI anyone that uses the Trenton boat ramp there is now a season permit $25 for city resident $50 for NJ residents and $250 for out of state.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM

where were you fishing
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Tried out Raritan Bay for the first time yesterday... no fish, but i learned quite a bit. Took one step too far and went in the flippin drink, luckily i was wearing wool and have a fully waterproof phone - it was swimming in my internal pouch. If anyone saw that, I hope it garnered a laugh and not the headshake of pity... going back today, definitely going to stay out of the water. That sht was very cold after a half hour!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM

those sod banks can be deadly, glad you weren't hurt

I was out in the wee hours Tues into Wed in the way back and had two taps in 4 hours. surprised as I banged 'em real good there last week with similar conditions. Seems like they've been off their feed for the last week or so, anyone have any thoughts on why and when they should bounce back?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Nice weather and a few shorts were all i saw today. Fished from 12 - 4, weather was taking a less-than-pleasant turn as i left. I'm going to try fishing closer to the ocean next time i go, maybe the bay side of sandy hook or something. I think thats where they are hanging out.

Does anybody have a preference when fishing the bay as to being on the windward or leeward parts of the shoreline? Any thoughts on how the fish handle that?

As for the dunking, it was a quick cold lesson to take baby steps into dark water.

Also saw a dude pull an inflatable raft out of a bucket and use a bellows to pump it up so he could cross this creek. A half hour later some guy who knew the spot waded right across. Pretty amusing.

Good luck folks
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 PM

Cliffwood Beach today, 7 till 1145 AM, nada, not even a tap. Didn't see any other action either!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 PM

Fished RB near keyport. Nothing but beautiful weather and relaxation. Fished from just before the top of the high and the out going for a couple of ours.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 AM

made it out after dark last night ,first i hit Perch Hole,got 2 monsters both ladden with eggs ,released to drop ,then i headed over to a hard super structure,chatted w/ a couple of old friends who had told me about a half hour or so bite w/Bass right at dark on small plugs,guess where i'm headed tonight before dark...<<
Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM

The last week and a half have been great. I have been out every day exept for two or three since the 17th its been a little slow with some finicky fish (still caught though) but last night into this morning (10 pm to 6am) Absolutely spectacular. Not stop between 2am and 5am, left them biting when I ran out of clams. 30 shucked and split, almost every cast resulted in a hit, and the majority produced fish. Lost track of the total but somewhere in the high twenties. Three were keeper size all released. April 2 08 was a little better though as far as size is concerned.
The best part about last night due to the weather I had the whole beach to myself at both places. THE ENTIRE TIME!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahgringo View Post
Tried out Raritan Bay for the first time yesterday... no fish, but i learned quite a bit. Took one step too far and went in the flippin drink, luckily i was wearing wool and have a fully waterproof phone - it was swimming in my internal pouch. If anyone saw that, I hope it garnered a laugh and not the headshake of pity... going back today, definitely going to stay out of the water. That sht was very cold after a half hour!
I Laugh at the guy stuck on the other side of the creek at high tide. But never found any humor when I'm pulling guys up the bank after that one extra step (3 times).
Saved a kids life the other Night. Kid got lucky and stumbled apon a nicely hidden productive spot the other night. Almost noone fishes this spot let alone when its a lunar tide. Man was he lucky I was there saw him when I did. The tide was already up and it was getting pretty dark. So the 3 foot deep pond(when empty) was about 5 feet of water and 2 feet of muck if he took 2 more steps he would have been over his head. With the amount of gear he was hauling would have sank like a stone and would have been impossible to push himself up in the muck and grass. I was spiked on in the sod about fifty yards ahead of him in three feet of water, so if I had to get there to help pull him out if even able to, it would have taken a bit of time. Luckily the crisis was averted, I screamed to him "BAD IDEA, DON'T TAKE ANOTHER STEP, REALLY BAD IDEA" Thank god he heard me, I then explained to him what almost happened.

If your not familiar with the exact location of the sod your fishing don't fish it until you see it during daylight and low tide. And make sure when you do wear a wading belt. I know it sounds stupid to make such a big deal about shore fishing but its way too easy to get yourself into trouble, and in the dark, fog, and wind, the guy 20 feet away from ya won't even know your there.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:52 PM
SS/Veteran

nice report scooby was gonna go tonight but i got work in the morn and the fiancee is off work so i told her id take a night off fishin and hang with her.....its all good though i had a great March so a night off to reflect and drink some red isnt so bad ....plan on hittin it again sunday morn in the wee hours before the crowds show i hope!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
SS/Veteran

Thumbs up Re: April 09 Fishing Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
The last week and a half have been great. I have been out every day exept for two or three since the 17th its been a little slow with some finicky fish (still caught though) but last night into this morning (10 pm to 6am) Absolutely spectacular. Not stop between 2am and 5am, left them biting when I ran out of clams. 30 shucked and split, almost every cast resulted in a hit, and the majority produced fish. Lost track of the total but somewhere in the high twenties. Three were keeper size all released. April 2 08 was a little better though as far as size is concerned.
The best part about last night due to the weather I had the whole beach to myself at both places. THE ENTIRE TIME!!!!!!!
nice night, i know what your talken bout. had one last sat.