Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Investment Talk -- where is your money?

FRANK you can thank me later for not adding to this school teacher thing. I honestly try to use as little profanity on your site as possible.

MULE.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico View Post
Not possible to do a "takeover" of StriperSurf.com but it's for sale, just make me an offer.

TrophyRigs.com is not for sale. I "pay" myself at a Labor rate of $6.00 per hour. I asked my wife for a raise but she told me my productivity was subpar and then threatened to replace me. Bitch!
But Bob, I would keep you on at ,,,,, hmmm around 6.50 to 6.75 an hr., that's a healthy raise.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:44 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

We only dabble with a low percentage of our portfolio with risky stuff. Consequently we have a limited account with Fidelity which is great because they don't push or bother us to play bigger. One thing we have is some Fidelity Health Mutual fund. Happy any time we can get a 5% return, that fund produced 45% last year. When I saw that we went all in with $25,000. Now, one month later, that 25 Gs is now 22!
W-T-F!
Old 08-31-2015, 12:46 PM
SS/Veteran

That post was sounding interesting Frank, untill I read the last sentence.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:00 PM

What is it they say, "live by the sword, die by the sword." We have made a lot of money over the years betting on investments. Diversity, diversity! This might even be a good time to buy that fund because the price is down. But it takes a lot of nerve to buy something that is on its way down.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:11 PM
SS/Veteran

Comes down to simple faith on what the country will do finance wise. Will the economy go down the toilet? then buy gold or silver or will it recover, then buy low now with a high percent of return and sit back and go fishing, or hunting and see where the cards fall.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:07 AM

No doubt many older investors would feel better with safe CDs but the rates are so low that they are deemed unattractive. If interest rates ever recover, you will see a huge return to CDs. I have some fixed annuities paying 3%, taxes delayed, which are my parachute.

I am not qualified to give financial advise but that would be no worse than a crooked broker and believe me they are out there. Variable annuities pay better but who decides your payment? The insurance company. What is the basis for what they pay? They never say. When my broker offered to take us out to dinner at the Harvard Club in Boston, driving us both ways, I then read the variable contract. His commission for the variable annuity would have been $16,000. That information is in fine print on page 79 of an 80 page syllabus. No Harvard Club on a fixed annuity
Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
What is it they say, "live by the sword, die by the sword." We have made a lot of money over the years betting on investments. Diversity, diversity! This might even be a good time to buy that fund because the price is down. But it takes a lot of nerve to buy something that is on its way down.
I'm going to check it out. I could waste the cash in much worse ways! Do any of you guys do any investing in physical gold or silver?
Old 09-01-2015, 12:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Comes down to simple faith on what the country will do finance wise. Will the economy go down the toilet? then buy gold or silver or will it recover, then buy low now with a high percent of return and sit back and go fishing, or hunting and see where the cards fall.
That's nice when someone leaves you $$ in their will, buy w/ my own hard earned cash would never sit back & see where the cards fall...... I'm on it daily like the morning constitution .
Old 09-01-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
I'm going to check it out. I could waste the cash in much worse ways! Do any of you guys do any investing in physical gold or silver?
Notice that gold goes up when the regular market goes down. Its considered a doomsday option. Years ago, had to be the 1970s, I bought some silver when the Hunt Bros were trying to corner the market. We made small money but back then we didn't have much money so it couldn't have been a lot. When you are young, unless you come from old family money, which we did not, there really is not enough bucks to work with. Bad thing about precious metals is that they don't pay dividends. Just before EF Hutton went out of business I had a small account with them and the broker talked me into "Strategic Silver" saying that it paid a dividend. Waiting for nearly a year, I asked her "where is my dividend"? Turned out she, the broker, did not know what she was talking about. Small wonder EF Hutton went down the toilet. No dividend on Strategic Silver.

EF Hutton also sold us some Newport Electric and soon after some big investor made a tender offer and we sold Newport Electric for double what we paid. I think we made $1500, which back then was decent money; it was 40 years ago. In those days we were coming home from the Cape summer with $5,000 and invested it so the IRS would not see it. Hope you read the book, Eastern Tides, for more on that. Anyway, kids finishing college, fish money, we kind of broke out of the financial funk of a growing family and emerging financial situation. Whenever we saw a few bucks we lived on that so we could buy more IRA from payrolls. But school systems don't match your input into the IRA.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

I never knew, nor know, how to invest in gold. I see it go up and down, but not inverse to the market. Everyone says buy some, but really I've never understood it in the sense that if our economy tanks, how is gold going to help? I'm sure I'm wrong since so many do invest there. Always willing to learn, one of these days.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:13 AM

Gold and silver are a hedge against inflation because it rises in value when other things go down. It is controversial because it pays no dividend but will have value, however variable. When the flit is hitting the shan you will notice gold goes up; it goes down when the market is good. Notice yesterday that the market recovered some and gold went down.

What I do is watch for alternatives to the safe CDs. Utilities are quite safe and usually pay a dividend and sometimes actually increase in value. Our Detroit Edison (DTE) increased in value which forced them to raise the dividend rate so we made out at both ends. Not actual numbers but for example only: Say you buy $10,000 of an electric company paying a dividend of 4%. Then demand for that company pressures the price up to $12,000. If the dividend remains the same, $400 in this case, the percentage payout in the dividend will drop to an unattractive level 3.3%. The company, in order to remain competitive, has to pay $480. You having bought at 10K now have a stock worth 12K paying an even larger dividend. You can sell and screw with your profits but Uncle Sam wants his Capitol gains tax on the 2K you made.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
I never knew, nor know, how to invest in gold. I see it go up and down, but not inverse to the market. Everyone says buy some, but really I've never understood it in the sense that if our economy tanks, how is gold going to help? I'm sure I'm wrong since so many do invest there. Always willing to learn, one of these days.
The idea is you will have an asset readily traded for another countries currency that isn't in the crapper. At least that's my take on it.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:48 PM

I don't know much about gold but the U.S. is the safest money in the world. Even China converts to US dollars. I mean if I had a bunch of Vietnamese dongs, I would buy gold with them. US dollars are pretty safe.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Gold buying is tricky business, Do you buy gold coins or troy ounces?, same with silver. As mentioned "no dividends" and liquidating it when needed is also tricky with fees attached.