Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Policy Discussion ....

How can we improve "Ask Frank"? What are the issues that would make this site more popular? Are we drifting away from the striper surf because we are getting overly social talking about evrything but? Is Frank becoming overly vulgar? Where went the women who used to come here? And why? Have we been too mean to boating? Stufflikethat.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:54 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

I'll take that bait.

Issues that would make site more popular: my first thought is, if it ain?t broke, don?t try too hard to fix it.

Is site overly social? Do you mean more philosophical? I don?t think so. I can only speak for myself but I enjoy the dialog when it gets that way as some threads have recently.

Frank overly vulgar? No

Where are the women? Good question. I don?t ever recall more than an occasional post by them here in the past. Women are not a large percent of saltwater fishermen and even a smaller percent of surf fishermen. I used to hang out on three other NE and one FL site and don?t recall a lot of posts by women either in the past or recently.

Too mean to boating? This is probably my only criticism of the site. Sometimes you are but, the name of the website is Striper Surf but there are probably three guys fishing out of boats for every one on the beach fishing for stripers. Sometimes you do put down boat fishermen by making it sound like anyone can catch more fish from a boat. After all, just having a boat does not make anyone a better fisherman. Put a googan in a boat and he is still a googan. Maybe boat fishermen should be acknowledged rather than denigrated Who knows, if word got out that the site was about all type of striper fishing and fishermen, readership might improve.

All in all, I have to say this is the most interesting site I have taken part in ever! It is the first one I open and read every day.
BillH
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
SS/Veteran

I've been on forums much meaner towards boats. I do find that some of the discussions here are a bit outside of the scope of the site and why I come here. I admit I truly only care to read and post about stripers. The politics and deep dives into literature are not my thing. However there has never been a reason for me to fibd another forum.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

I would not change anything that you can change.
Other than the occasional verbal abuse from snipers, directed at you - which you can't change - it's a very nice place.
If a person is in their 70's and has had major heart surgery, you'd think people would not do that, but they do. Engaging in verbal abuse is a very bad character trait. It's a short walk from there to hitting women and children. I don't like it - it's ugly.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLyons View Post
I would not change anything that you can change.
Other than the occasional verbal abuse from snipers, directed at you - which you can't change - it's a very nice place.
If a person is in their 70's and has had major heart surgery, you'd think people would not do that, but they do. Engaging in verbal abuse is a very bad character trait. It's a short walk from there to hitting women and children. I don't like it - it's ugly.
It was an accident of timing that you were just coming back when I got that low hit from the Vermont guy. Otherwise, we haven't had any abuse here in years. Considering the number of visitors we have, the average is favorable, bad guys miniscule in number. Rare really. The above inspires some response from me but I want to let this play out a little more to get a feel. So far I'm flattered. (I think they call them e-hugs.)
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Well, to be honest, in 6 years coming to this forum plus all the Franken-books almost everything striper related has been covered many times. Especially since I'm not fishing regularly there's not much new to talk about for me personally either. So that's why the "other" topics are welcome. They would be welcome anyway, though.

Don't change anything just bring back Al Bentsen and Chuck Leigh and pay Jason to post more. And find some other old-salt type sharpies to come and share their stories.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM

Frank, I think there is a difference between improving the site and making it more popular. As far as improvement, I found this site about half a year ago and love it for a number of reasons. I like the uniqueness of it's focus on surf/shore fishing. There is incredible depth of knowledge on almost every area of striper fishing if you're willing to wade through the archives. And the quality of the postings & regular members is light years better than other forums I've been on (and I love the philosophical digressions) Part of the high quality of the forum though I think is due to the fact that it's not over "popular" in the sense that you don't have a ton of unqualified people posting and responding like other forums do. The core group of posters here are so good that I often hesitate to chip in as a fishing/forum neophyte.

That said, it would certainly be an improvement to broaden the reading/posting audience with serious fishermen who have something to contribute. Specifically, I would like to see a broader geographic spread of posters to expand the discussion - for instance, at least a couple more Hudson River fishermen alongside Salmonmeister would be great for me as a upstate NY resident. As a reader and beneficiary of this site, I can and will certainly do my part to selectively spread the word.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Senior Fellow

Vulgar? You seem like a choirboy to me --- of course I'm from Philly.

Politics? What's a liitle political banter between friends? Perhaps we can get into religion as well.

Boaters? I have become a strict surfman in recent years. When I move to NC permanently this year you will get some boating input from me -- like it or not -- since I have a dock and tarpon/drum/gar/stripers in my back yard. If you choose to smack me around because I can't help but relate some boating tales --- I can take it! In this age of all inclusiveness I don't think an occassional boating story will hurt anything -- and afterall we know that the true sport is surf. (Plus I can't handle those six foot seas and 200# tunies anymore). Mule has been on a boat a few times.

The diversity of contributors to your forum is great. You may have a few more if you were a bit gentler when you find it necessary to correct someone, but most of us are thick skinned and some of us have little or no feelings at all.

I like your forum and would someday like to have a sit down with you and many of the other friends I have met here. (Could be some scotch or pale ale involved). I have met the big brother I never knew I had on your forum. Mule and I have even enjoyed fishing together. He is the teacher I wish I had when I was in school, and the backup I wish I had in a number of brawls in the way back!!

I have grown fond of Bill and Terese's art and know that when we get together it will be a great time.

Rag's is as down to earth as his beach chair --- and he is soon to become a fine southern gent.

So tell me --- what's not to like?

If you want more participation you may have to consider that many may consider themselves unworthy of playing here. If you could lure in some novices it would be beneficial to them and your forum. Nothing like a bunch of old coots who are willing to mentor our yougins.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Senior Fellow

Oh --- and as far as women I prefer to keep mine to myself.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 PM

My first thought is a thread on favorite centerfolds complete with pictures. I tend to comment more on the social side as I feel inept in the surf compared to you guys. Not much I can contribute except for questions so most times I don't comment. I saw a comment in one of the Al Bensen threads about how good the thread was and not just another stupid leader length question so I shelved my questions about leaders lol. I think who you are and your proven skill intimidate a lot of people and there is nothing you can do about that. I enjoy this board very much and am honored that you let me post here.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:23 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

1. Is site overly social? No.. philosophical and esoteric discussions are always welcome

2. Frank overly vulgar? No... harsh in a New England kind of way? maybe

3. Where are the women? Good question. I find on other sites women only hang around when they are friends/spouses/fishing buddies with someone who also hangs around on the site. Maybe it's social, maybe it's for "protection".. whatever. Isolated women posters on a fishing forum are rare, IME.

4. Too mean to boating? even though I own a boat, I am primarily a surf caster (and frankly, as lousy as a "catcher" as I am, I do as well overall from the surf as from a boat as I don't go out in the ocean and chase down bunker schools for snag, drop and johnny grab that reel) I think Jason keeps us honest from a boat perspective
Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

It would be better if there were more people actively fishing a lot, right now, participating. That kind of enthusiasm is infectious.
Unfortunately, people who are on the fish and putting in a lot of hours a week don't want any new friends, or to trade fresh oats for ones that have already been through the horse.
Andy Lemar put it best one time when were discussing the secretive nature of serious fishermen. Deadpan flat like it was common knowledge, he told me, "Most guys won't tell you if the sun's up."

**Re Frankenbuse: I'm glad that is infrequent. It was almost like walking into a bar and seeing a guy whose girlfriend may have cheated on him once or twice with you: Walk right in. Walk right out.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:57 PM
SS/Veteran

Hell fire FRANK-----It's the best fishing site I have ever found. Adrian and I own four or five boats, ain't counted'em lately, and personally, the more fishermen that Drum fish in boats, the less I have to put up with in the surf. Keep'er like she is. The diversity on this site is amazing, and, in my opinion, an uncanny draw to viewers. Just look at the number of hits this site gets, 1000% more than any other site, and, only about 2% of that number actually post-----So there must be something here that causes that big of an audience. I have never known a fishing site where the key player, you, works his site as hard as you do.

MULE.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM
SS/Veteran

I love the site and I wouldn't say there is much worth changing. Joe is right in that having more people posting who are actively fishing would be a plus. I have no issues sharing the what whens and where's of my fishing but few here fish the canal. Rhode Island is very well covered by Joe and you and there doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing actual fishimg (look where the ly last trip thread went)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Jon:[quote= Rhode Island is very well covered by Joe and you and there doesn't seem to be much interest in discussing actual fishimg (look where the ly last trip thread went)[/quote]
Get used to starting a thread and have it die quickly. Not personal it happens to everybody. For instance, I thought there would be huge interest in talking about the old Cuttyhunk greats like Sabatowski, Haig, Smith etc, there was no response. I may not have been clear, not sure.

A big concern of mine has been digressions to non-striper exchanges which is outside the mission of teaching surfcasting for stripers. I felt that if we strayed from our mission we might lose some students of the striper surf. Part of our problem is that in my 13 years having been here is that we have covered everything imaginable cogent to that mission. The good reading is hiding out in the old threads. If you back up to the archives you can find stuff that both informs and entertains. If you respond to an old thread, I think it will still come up and become alive again. Also, keep in mind that if a few years have gone by, there are subtle changes in response from the person then and that same person now. So, hitting something over is not a bad thing.

We have had some marvelous thread successes that have enjoyed thousands of hits. Look at the outdoor art thread, or the Bentsen jewels or the literary discussions on fishing books. Another idea is to read some of the achival articles and pose questions from one of them. One thing is that nobody need hesitate to ask a question on "Ask Frank". In a place like this one, questions are the life blood of the organization.