Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

Hopefully everyone is just fishing up a storm and will return soon with a lot of posts.
-Phil
Old 06-13-2015, 03:53 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Retirees should be posting weekends and staying away from fishing; that is what we do. Sunday night is so quiet that you can go to a hot weekend jetty and be alone. I will say this about posting: many members post while at work and never post weekends when on their own time, which I don't care because it is not my problem.

Too bad I didn't appreciate the wild west when it was here. Now, when I get gaffed, I defend myself at the time fully knowing how much it will be later to put up the useless attacks. It has to get their ash when they see themselves a few years later after they have calmed down.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:06 AM

Things are dead here. Because I manage things, it is my fault, consequently my failure. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them. If it gets any worse, we may have to close down.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:37 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Things are dead here. Because I manage things, it is my fault, consequently my failure. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them. If it gets any worse, we may have to close down.
Someone needs to fire up an adwords campaign with Google to ensure new folks can find the site when the search in Google for "striped bass forum" Or heck buy any keywords that would allow for www.stripersurf.com to be shown at the top of a search. I'be recruited some but never see them post....
Old 07-06-2015, 12:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
Someone needs to fire up an adwords campaign with Google to ensure new folks can find the site when the search in Google for "striped bass forum" Or heck buy any keywords that would allow for www.stripersurf.com to be shown at the top of a search. I'be recruited some but never see them post....
Good idea JON. I'd do it but it's way out'a my limited expertise.
Hell FRANK----Ain't your fault. Just been a hell'ov'a last six months. Bad weather, home repairs because of all the unusual weather. I even had a tornado come right through my house. Thank Goodness it was a baby F0, with winds only about 90mph. Did a little damage, but all my Drum tackle survived.
Another thing, a lot of us regulars are headed toward that outer bar, as Big AL says, and we need some new younger ones on here as well as us. Don't know. Maybe they ain't got the passion we used to have. Don't blame yourself.

MULE.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:00 PM
SS/Veteran

Only problem I see is no new membership, people at least the ones I've bs'ed about striper forums all know fiction (4th in google results) but not here. It really helps to bump up the rank in google. Right now the first SS link is 6th from the top, ie being ignored. If I were Bob my adwords budget would increase and I'd ensure anyone that types striper in google see's a link up top for striper surf.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:22 PM

Just an opinion not criticism, not venting.
The lower site activity goes hand in hand with the thread titled; "Will Surf Fishing Die?"
I'm 67, so when the name of a thread is; "tell us who taught you to fish", I can relate. "Tell us what your learned, over the years", again, it's relative to me. However, younger men/women can't & really don't care. It's not today's thought patterns. Recently I insulted some folks at a small gathering when I stated that today's young people are a lot like us, when we were their age. In fact, the only small differences were that in my era I had a baseball of football in my hand, depending on the season and today they have a cell phone in their hand. Another small difference is most young folks are obese and have interpersonal skills.
That's why, having a good site, like this, where a beginner or seasoned fisherman can learn something will perhaps die. Yes, I believe the site is getting too social, and yeah, with the exception of the true fisherman, no one give a rats tail. The example would be the May bluefish run we had at IBSP in NJ. A bunch of clowns showed up, littered the place, killed fish they never intended to keep and then left. Do you really think they come to this site for advice?
I'm not retired, I have a tax & financial planning practice, I fish as often as I can and I appreciate all the advice I have received from everyone on this site. I certainly got abundantly more advice than I ever was able to offer.
I would not change the original format of this site. I think the purpose is good, with the understanding that you have a smaller audience. If the true surf fisherman and some boaters would stay on point and ask or respond to the subject matter, i.e. what size hooks? how fast the retrieve? how to cast into the lip? etc. Frank and the other experienced folks are great sources of info. Again, you are not going to reach the age group that leaves in the third qtr. of a football game to play on their cell phone. It's laughable, and you can't make this crap up, but, a young parent came to me about some tax garbage and he was concerned about his son's lack of communication. I jokingly told him to take him fishing. I never expected him to take me serious, but, on the beach at two bit road in IBSP, I see him & his son, both with poles spiked in the sand, sitting side by side on a beach chair, looking at their cell phones. Hey Frank, any father/son advice?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Great post Art. Still though, I strongly suspect its a lack of eyes on the site partially to do with the google rank. The reason I am keyed in on it is because my living is partly due to adwords and google. Its how we sell our software at work. You'd probably be surprised to hear that I've done deals with large companies (if you've done any loan with bank of america your info has run through our sfotware) who only spoke with us because our site was at the top of the google pile. It has a lot to do with Art's post and how the younger generations search for information. It's a huge business for google as well. I strongly suggest tuning the adwords used for this site could drastically improve unique site visits and then hopefully membership.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:16 PM

Getting a bunch of guys whop really should be joining "fiction" is not going to help this place grow.

Do you really need to grow? We will pick up new members as they want to join - not because the interweb told them to come here
Old 07-06-2015, 06:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
Getting a bunch of guys whop really should be joining "fiction" is not going to help this place grow.

Do you really need to grow? We will pick up new members as they want to join - not because the interweb told them to come here
David you fail to realize this is a business with costs Bob has to pay, the advertisers pay the tab but they want to see "net new" ie a steady increase in unique hits to this site to justify the spend in advertising. When the "net new" dwindles advertisers pull ads and then someone has to foot the bill for this place. I am not suggesting Stripersurf needs nor wants the crowd from fiction, but Frank is right, without new bodies it would not be fiscally sound to keep running the site. This place needs more eyes on the screen!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:18 PM

Not intended to be my last word but I don't know how to build membership other than to keep it attractive for striper fishermen who are devoted to the shore. Not that everything has to be surfcasting, but I want people, new as well as old, to want to come here. Like any good gin mill, I want people to look forward to their favorite bar stool and even if they are boat fisherman, or some other form of unwashed, buy a round of drinks for our regulars. First draws for Bob D'Amico and Mister Smarty.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon006 View Post
David you fail to realize this is a business with costs Bob has to pay, the advertisers pay the tab but they want to see "net new" ie a steady increase in unique hits to this site to justify the spend in advertising. When the "net new" dwindles advertisers pull ads and then someone has to foot the bill for this place. I am not suggesting Stripersurf needs nor wants the crowd from fiction, but Frank is right, without new bodies it would not be fiscally sound to keep running the site. This place needs more eyes on the screen!
I understand that - but as a user my concern is quality of quantity.

Want to get the word out - start linking the reports section to FB stuff - they see reports (with photos) they will come

Also, start linking with tackle shop reports - and get them to link back. i have helped build several successful fishing related web sites and it takes some effort - a hour or two each day of emailing, telephoning and linking and you can get members wayyyy up
Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 PM
SS/Veteran

I hear you loud and clear. I've come to enjoy the few regular posters and have always appreciated that aspect. I'd rather wade through repetitive posts from new guys than see this place go away.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:08 AM
SS/Veteran

I feel like I should contribute more. But in the end, isn't fishing, no matter how much we all love to do it, a limited topic? There's so much more to life than just fishing, ain't there?

Is there a way we can broaden the topics discussed here without turning the board into a political cesspool?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:43 AM

Frank it is not your fault, this is a great place to visit. Look at very recent threads within the last few months some have views in the thousands, the fly fishing thread I started is over 8,000 and how old is that? When a thread topic is interesting or provocative the numbers boom. The Woolner's daughter thread, Frank and Tony Stetzko thread, look at the equipment preoccupation thread- fishermen are equipment obsessed- and they love to talk and ask about tackle. The Big River thread, hunting and shooting... I repeat- THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO VISIT. Fisherman love to talk!! We just have to get them talking again like so many times before and maybe encourage lurkers to become members more often. Those thousands of views aren't just regulars that contribute, there is another group that views but doesn't post and those are the numbers that keep things going and helps pay the bills...
-Phil