Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
r but between the browser and Windows 10 it has been a PIA.
Yup...
Old 08-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Where is Chris Garrity? I kidded him about my wife being Irish and he never came back. Please don't tell me I pissed another guy off!!!!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Where is Chris Garrity? I kidded him about my wife being Irish and he never came back. Please don't tell me I pissed another guy off!!!!
Nah, no hard feelings. I have the thickest skin in the world. You can say anything you want to me, and it won't hurt my feelings (except horse racing. If you make fun of my handicapping acumen, my blood will boil! ).

It's the summer doldrums, all right. But the weather pattern is going to change: after tomorrow, the worst of the summer heat is going to be gone for good, and next week the nights are going to have a decidedly autumnal tang. Fall, and its related delights, will be here soon.

It can't come soon enough, sez me. I'm sick of this heat.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:15 AM

We have drought. Water restrictions are all over the Northeast. Our summer has been a little warmer than usual. We want to go hunting. Last year I killed a deer late December that I tracked until dark. Overnight it snowed and covered everything. Next day the snow turned to rain and we were soaked by the time we caught up with it. We were cold and wet. But I would rather have that than heat.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:11 PM
SS/Veteran

One of my pastimes -- I have a rich social life, obviously -- is weather-geekiness. The world of forecasting is a fascinating place, and one that has parallels to my beloved milieu at the racetrack. In both instances, everybody has the same data: at the track, it's the Racing Form; with weather, it's the information from government-owned satellites. The difference between good and bad forecasters, and good and bad handicappers, lies in the interpretation of the data.

I mention this because I follow some weather-geek stuff, and while it's still way out there, there is a chance -- it's a slim chance, but it is a chance -- that a tropical system could hit the Middle Atlantic and/or New England in the next couple of weeks. Tropical Storm Fiona, which is churning out in the open Atlantic, is probably going to be a miss, but conditions are favorable for the formation of tropical systems -- there's already one forming in Fiona's slipstream -- and one or more of them could very well end up impacting the Eastern seaboard.

And we need it: it's dry as a bone, especially from New York City north. Since fall is usually pretty dry -- it's the driest season of the year, at least statistically, east of the Mississippi -- it's probably going to take a tropical system to relieve the drought.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:15 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
One of my pastimes -- I have a rich social life, obviously -- is weather-geekiness. The world of forecasting is a fascinating place, and one that has parallels to my beloved milieu at the racetrack. In both instances, everybody has the same data: at the track, it's the Racing Form; with weather, it's the information from government-owned satellites. The difference between good and bad forecasters, and good and bad handicappers, lies in the interpretation of the data.

I mention this because I follow some weather-geek stuff, and while it's still way out there, there is a chance -- it's a slim chance, but it is a chance -- that a tropical system could hit the Middle Atlantic and/or New England in the next couple of weeks. Tropical Storm Fiona, which is churning out in the open Atlantic, is probably going to be a miss, but conditions are favorable for the formation of tropical systems -- there's already one forming in Fiona's slipstream -- and one or more of them could very well end up impacting the Eastern seaboard.

And we need it: it's dry as a bone, especially from New York City north. Since fall is usually pretty dry -- it's the driest season of the year, at least statistically, east of the Mississippi -- it's probably going to take a tropical system to relieve the drought.
hey you Geek, I already called this out http://stripersurf.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=16
Old 08-20-2016, 10:38 AM

Hurricane season closes down a lot of striper fishing. When you lose 10 days of fishing during the fall migration, the fifty-pounder count is lowered and no doubt all other fishing.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:26 PM

Please take a number. So as our operators who are standing by will be able to serve your questions in an appropriate and suitable manner.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank I would normally keep my mouth shut but I hope you understand that I am saying the following things with the best interests of this site in mind.

I think that you perceived slights coming from JC and Salmonmeister in the Hall of Fame thread but no one was trying to insult you or screw you. No one said you don't fish anymore. They said "even if" you didn't fish anymore, implying that you still do. On the other hand you flat out told Jason he doesn't fish the beach anymore which isn't true. I personally enjoy hearing what both Jason and Salmonmeister have to say so I want them to continue posting on this site.

I understand that in the past people really did come here to try to screw with you but I don't think that was what was happening. I thought the Hall of Fame thread was going to be interesting but now it is strange. Again, I hope I am not out of line in writing this and please realize that I just want this site to continue being a place where we have high quality discussions about surf casting for striped bass.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the support, Andrew. I blame myself for starting the Hall of Fame debacle. I never intended for it to turn out the way it did. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:42 PM
SS/Veteran

I think we should all hold hands and sing Kumbaya!

I think that tone, a lot of times, gets lost in this format. This kind of thing would never happen in real life -- it's too easy to misinterpret stuff online. We have some good guys here, and I hope they stick around.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:10 AM

I would like to see the Hall of Fame mess slide down off the page. If it doesn't I may be forced to either lock it or cancel it. These are extreme measures to which I don't like resorting.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Koller and Garrity check your PMs.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:59 AM

People who make nominations should know more about those they nominate. Some of the nominees fished and sold stripers all through the moratorium.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:11 AM
SS/Veteran

People who ? NAME NAMES If you say this is true & I do believe everything I read here is the truth . Disqualification of nominees . Its almost like this years Pres. election . This process might take us thru the winter ....HOF voting that is .