Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Senior Fellow

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

Although I have spent many nights striper and drum fishing my personal best striper (46", fatty but I can only guess at weight) was caught in mid afternoon and my best drum (50" and at least as many pounds) was caught at sundown. My best numbers have come shortly after sunset, maybe just coincidence?

In our recent three day red drum tournament ALL of the citation drum were caught between 10:00 PM and 3:30 AM. Over 250 fisherman had lines in around the clock so I can't contribute this to coincidence.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 11-28-2016, 02:20 PM
SS/Veteran

I welcome the posts because it is the business we are in. But I can't believe that night fishing is being debated. At least the joint is lively.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
I welcome the posts because it is the business we are in. But I can't believe that night fishing is being debated. At least the joint is lively.
Hey, we need the copy!

Speaking of lively threads: is it time for a thread about beer? Is it the right time and place to admit that I enjoy going to fancy restaurants, and guzzling cheap beer straight from the bottle?
Old 11-28-2016, 03:17 PM

[quote=Chris Garrity;2425939]I don't know that I would put myself in this category -- I'm full of self-loathing -- but I don't know a single surfcaster I respect who does not think that the fishing is better at night. That's right: to a man, they all think the night is better. It's not just your opinion versus Frank's; it's yours against just about everyone's.

Does this mean that every individual night between March and December is better than every individual day during the same time span? No. Like you said, sometimes things happen during the day -- and blitzes, with the birds and all, are a good example -- that don't happen at night. But all other things being equal, nighttime is just about always better.

I will fish during the day, especially during the fall migration, if my choices are day fishing or no fishing (sometimes social obligations, i.e. having a life, get in the way of being able to fish at night). But given the choice between day fishing or night fishing, I'll go night 10 times out of 10.

I also chuckle at the loneliness thing -- as a loner, a real anti-social creep , I like being alone. The solitude is one of the reasons I do surfcasting, which is kind of a pain in the XXX to do right, especially if you live more than 30 minutes from the coast, and have a job and a wife and a kid and a mortgage and two dogs and all that. But dealing with all the hassles that come with it is a small price to pay when you experience something perfect, like a rising moon, or a good fish that you caught and released, and that you know nobody but you will ever know about. Some of youse guys may prefer that these moments be shared w

Hello from Houston.. never said night fishing wasn't better. Only that I had taken more big fish during the day...
Old 11-28-2016, 04:07 PM
SS/Veteran

I'll bet there are a lot of people whose best canal fish came during the day, as well. I am not one of them.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:06 PM
SS/Veteran

more consistent when the sun was down, but not the biggest because it was.
Guide boated a estimated 74 lb Striper in Ct very overcast but not in the dark. 5/2012
Old 11-28-2016, 08:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Beer is a good idea. At least we have a few. I'll do it.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:51 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:

By most of you guys- I'm a rookie. I KNOW night is best..but i catch more when the sun come up. of course i fish MORE then..hmm maybe thats the reason. .. but I keep trying. Today I left the beach when I KNOW you would have just started to fish...
So I trust you..I'm just lazy and weak.... (dinner time)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:08 PM
SS/Veteran

Even fishing in boats the night is better. But boat guys get all the bass they want and if they charter they have to go out when their customers want to fish. Inasmuch as their customers are usually googans, and what charter skipper is going to call them that (?) Smart skippers keep their mouths shut and take them out during the day for a dose of skin cancer.
Old 11-30-2016, 09:24 AM
SS/Veteran

I had an old friend coming out from California. He want to fish for bass and was whining about a charter over a group of us boys going out on the VIKING ( which I do love). The Viking is a montauk party boat/ head boat . You fish eels at night and I always do well , Left alone and I know the crew and family so I'm treated great. My dumbass buddy nagged me so much I figured screw it I would find a charter. So here is my point...sorry it took so so long to get to it.
It was hard to find anyone who would fish bait and not TROLL! maybe cause I did the looking late in the season. The guy I found will not get my biz again..( no names). First off he did not show he sent a fill in... ok not worries... we fished eels on 20+ leaders with a barrel swivel that prevented you from reeling the fish to the boat..The mate would hand line them in.. He also baited the hook for us and recommended - Strongly- that the rods sit in the rod holder until a fish is on... He could have wiped my bass for me too if I asked nicely... I hated it... Although I explained what I wanted...The capt and mate told me their job is -TO GET FISH IN THE BOAT.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Those charters are, "Johnny-grab-that's". They also will forbid you touching the reel drag. A lot of them are like that. When they come in the "client" has his picture taken with a fish that the Captain really caught. All Johnny did was bring the fish in for the Captain. I have cousins who couldn't catch the clap in Havana or Panama who go out every season and "catch" a boatload of stripers. They usually send a picture and say, "what's the big deal?" Cousins on my wife's side.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Those charters are, "Johnny-grab-that's". They also will forbid you touching the reel drag. A lot of them are like that. When they come in the "client" has his picture taken with a fish that the Captain really caught. All Johnny did was bring the fish in for the Captain. I have cousins who couldn't catch the clap in Havana or Panama who go out every season and "catch" a boatload of stripers. They usually send a picture and say, "what's the big deal?" Cousins on my wife's side.
I went one one of them boats a few years ago. It was excruciatingly boring: four guys starting at each other until one of the rods doubled over. I wished I'd brought beer so at least I could have gotten loaded while sitting around doing nothing.

That day, when it was my turn, when the rod doubled over, I grabbed it and reeled in the fish. It was the biggest fish of the day, a 35-pounder. The other guys whooped and hollered, but the first thing that passed through my mind -- and I swear I am not making this up -- was: Any idiot could do this. There is no achievement whatsoever in catching a fish this way.

I have felt better, and prouder, about catching runt schoolies out of the surf than I did catching that 35-pounder that day. I understand that it takes skill to pilot a boat and catch fish, but to do it on a charter boat skippered by a guy who fishes every day... well, any ding-dong can do that.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:32 PM
SS/Veteran

I went out on the Viking on a private party the skippy/owner threw for his wife's work buddies... (me)

We jigged/squidded for bass... The mate netted the fish.. IT was great!!!!!!! I did great, felt I did everything , earned my fish, my beer and a fun time had buy all with great people on a beautiful night. Next time my buddy insists on a charter. I'm calling them( Viking) up and doing the same darn thing or not going.. As I said I love those guys.. I taught most of the mates or know them from around town... I will never trust anyone again unless we are plugging in the rocks.. they can't screw that up... I'd rather fish and not catch then have somebody fish for me.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:05 PM
SS/Veteran

" I'd rather fish and not catch then have somebody fish for me." agree 100% & that has to be established before the charter booking .

one of my 1st guided trips ( Crystal River solo ) the guide wanted to throw because he thought I wanted more fish for the take home, but in reality he was taken fish because he knew I was learning the pattern . It stopped when I asked " if you throw one more time 1/2 the charter fee is yours ! We both laughed 31" Rusty Raider on Johnson Gold spoon

#1 son & I Tarpon fished Bahia Honda Key where the communication between the guide & us was established before ( at the dock ) of setting the hook ourselves , some capts have clients who do know how to fish so they help out to take the photo.
8 Tarpon 6 boated 4 over 100lbs all released
Old 12-01-2016, 07:55 AM
SS/Veteran

[quote=HookI;2426007]" I'd rather fish and not catch then have somebody fish for me." agree 100% & that has to be established before the charter booking .

I know Mr Hook.. you are correct... BUt

i was real clear.
. He was recommended...

There were weather issues..Hurricane hit by the end of our night and he had to pull the plug on the whole trip... I don't want to go there... not wanting to relive or go into details..I had some fun being with old friends..so what the hell...... BUT I was left with the idea/feeling it was just take these guys out , pocket their bucks and f@#$R them. The boys were from out of town but I'm a local for 40 years.. He did not realize I was the guy - that guy- who would return at least twice a year and recommended the sheet out of him..

As I did with the VIKING.. But for him....Now not so much..