Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
She's a very talented young lady.
Thanks, yes she is talented, she has done several other drawings of wildlife that are also very nice.
As someone mentioned in an earlier post, some people are born with a gift for art.
I have been enjoying the photographs and other works of art being posted here.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Attachment 9179

More in keeping with the original purpose of this thread,this is a marvelous surf shot by Mae Bertoni, who I think is a Cape artist.
The Bertoni is a great painting. I think it is the nicest surf scene I have seen. It was on the cover of Gray's Sporting Journal back in the 70's. I scanned it and posted it with some others on another forum years ago. Since then I have seen it pop on the web several times maybe using the pic I posted. It looks like my scan. I am pretty sure I sent it to you years ago.

She hasn't done another like it that I can find. She did several seaside scenes that were very nice but none with anglers that I know of. I contacted her daughter from her site.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
colored pencil drawing by my 10 yr. old neice
Beautiful work by such a young lady. Real talent.

MULE.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:51 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Here are a couple more of my favorites:

Top: Recovery leaving Sumatra by James Mitchel - Oil on canvas 23"X25" limited edition print.

Bottom: Racing home with the catch - Acrylic on Canvas Board 11X14 - 2004 from an old photo of the Tarpon Springs sponge fleet racing to market their catch.
Bill that last painting of the old fisherman speaks for itself. It tells a story that few, if any young people today can even fathom.

MULE.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:45 AM

Frank,

As with Joyce's fifty, I was thinking of a possible thread of mounted fish. Although fish mounts are certainly artwork, it seems it might deserve its own thread.

I imagine there might be a mounted fish (or two) adorning the living room walls of the members of Striper Surf.

Thank you for your consideration of this request,

Stan
Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Walter, the Bertoni scene was in my hard drive and I am sure I lifted it here from your post a few years ago.

I'm also curious about a person right clicks some art here, prints it, frames it. Could that be an intellectual property violation? In the case of Mae Bertoni we never had permission. In the case of members voluntarilly putting something they own up, they grant the rights to stripersurf which they signed off on when they joined. Maybe everyone involved is more interested in putting things up than quibbling about rights. I tend to think the latter.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Name:  Mid-Cover 6.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  38.7 KB

This shot was a poster in the Surfcaster catalog. It was popular enough but they had to get $50 for it and by the time buyers got finished paying for framing, it was close to $200. I guess the project eventually crashed and burned.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Still hangs in my living room...Adds atmosphere...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Bill mentioned mounts. This is by no stretch a 50, but got it winning the NJ Angler tourney a few years ago, 16.77 lbs, 36 inches replica). The pic below it is me with the real fish. Jo decorated it for Halloween with the pumpkin, the one of it plain was too big to post. I'll have to get a pic of the one I got for my son this past Christmas of his largest caught from the surf, 43 lbs.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Walter, the Bertoni scene was in my hard drive and I am sure I lifted it here from your post a few years ago.

I'm also curious about a person right clicks some art here, prints it, frames it. Could that be an intellectual property violation? In the case of Mae Bertoni we never had permission. In the case of members voluntarilly putting something they own up, they grant the rights to stripersurf which they signed off on when they joined. Maybe everyone involved is more interested in putting things up than quibbling about rights. I tend to think the latter.
Yeah, reproducing someone else's copyrighted material without the creator's permission would probably be construed as infringement if somebody wants to raise a fuss. There's always been a huge gray area when it comes to that kind of stuff, (even more so when it come to electronic contracts and electronic signatures) so you really have to be careful. I protect myself by never posting anything anywhere - even on my own site - that can be effectively printed on anything larger than an index card. If somebody wants a low-rez, 5-inch image, be my guest, it's worthless; but if I spot a 14X21 print in a poster shop, the owner had better find a good lawyer, because I already have one, and he's one mean SOB.

BTW, many thanks for the kind comments on my own work. Kudos to Frank for starting this thread; I'm enjoying the heck out of it.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
SS/Veteran

I paint for the enjoyment of it. My originals, that have not been given to my family, are for sale but I don't advertise them. If someone wants to copy and past, that's fine. If someone wants an original, I'll be happy to quote a price. On the other hand, I have always copyrighted my writing, just in case I want to write a book when I get older.

Picture is one of those rare GOM Booted Plover trying to get around the oil spill.

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:28 PM

Since surf art for the direct market is so rare most of what is out there is illustration. Some of it is nice, like this piece. What I like is that it is at night, a rarity, and has good mood. I would say that the scene depicts the point at Montauk. Most of F&S artists were based in and around NYC so Montauk would be accessible to them.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2010, 08:05 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Bill mentioned mounts. This is by no stretch a 50, but got it winning the NJ Angler tourney a few years ago, 16.77 lbs, 36 inches replica). The pic below it is me with the real fish. Jo decorated it for Halloween with the pumpkin, the one of it plain was too big to post. I'll have to get a pic of the one I got for my son this past Christmas of his largest caught from the surf, 43 lbs.
Mr. Ragman take a picture of the picture, in or out of the frame. Then maybe crop it close to the frame. I do that sort of thing all the time. It will post fine, 50 kilobytes or less. Goin' do one of Teresa's like that soon.

A couple posts down on this thread, Walter did it fine with Field and Stream.
By the way, I wouldn't mind knowing at least your, and other's first name. I don't think your's is clam-slinging-bucket-sitting-rod-spiking-whatever.
Remember, I'm a Rebel, not a Yankee, and I don't know all "youse guys".

MULE.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:07 AM
SS/Veteran

I am loving this thread. Nice work by everyone and thank you Frank for starting this.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:20 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Gentleman View Post
Frank,

As with Joyce's fifty, I was thinking of a possible thread of mounted fish. Although fish mounts are certainly artwork, it seems it might deserve its own thread.

I imagine there might be a mounted fish (or two) adorning the living room walls of the members of Striper Surf.

Thank you for your consideration of this request,

Stan
Good idea Stan. Even this thread is working fine for the mounts, and believe me, taxidermy is art, skin mounts in the lead, repros distant second.All still beautiful.

MULE.