Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Outdoor Art -- Surf and Otherwise

Name:  Striper Dawn Poster.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  21.9 KB

Back when the Surfcaster catalog offered them this was the most popular poster. But again, after matting and framing, the cost was prohibitive.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Thats going to be Andrew's birthday present this year, going to have it matted and framed. He loves stuff dealing with the water and fishing. I'm glad you shared that with me Frank!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

Gee Bill, you do nice work. I like the animal photos and paintings...
Old 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM

I'm a little quandried about putting up pictures here. The pictures that I paid a guy to convert to digital from slides go fine. But the ones I take with my new digital camara are all too big and have to be reduced first. I cut them to 50% and they still are too big. HELP!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:02 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Frank,

If you are using MS-Paint, it's a bit clumsy. One of the other photo editors are easier. But even the free MS Paint.NET (http://www.paint.net/ then click on getpaint.net) is much much easier.

Thus you will have to reduce the size to something like 7x5 inches (an option in paint.net... hint hint) or smaller to fit here.

edit: to MULE: I don't think there is an option to attach files (pictures) to private messages directly... but contact Bob D to find out for sure.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Frank,

If you are using MS-Paint, it's a bit clumsy. One of the other photo editors are easier. But even the free MS Paint.NET (http://www.paint.net/ then click on getpaint.net) is much much easier.

Thus you will have to reduce the size to something like 7x5 inches (an option in paint.net... hint hint) or smaller to fit here.

edit: to MULE: I don't think there is an option to attach files (pictures) to private messages directly... but contact Bob D to find out for sure.
Rob, With your and Bob's help, I got it to work. I first sent a "private message" to myself in order to see if it worked, and it did. Then I outlined the process that I used in a private message to you, with an attached picture of me and a drum.
However I got a computer reply saying that your private message box or something like that was full, and it said that you would not receive any messages unless you deleted some. Now, I surely don't understand the dynamics of all that gobbledygook, but that's what it said.
Frank, I know that unless your pixel length X width is less than or equal to 800 X 600 and/or the KB is 50 or less, it won't send the way Bob has the site set up on the regular post site like we have all been using. So to get them to send I have to go to somewhere on a picture processor on my computer to down size the photo to at least 800 X 600. Before you send a picture, right click on that picture and left click again on properties to get the length X width, which is almost always over 800 X 600. I have a "box" on my computer that lets me manually choose what length and width I want. I had to mess with this problem a long time before I got it to work. This is just one computer dummy talking to another.
Bob can tell you exactly what to do.

MULE.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Outdoor Writer
Outfitter
SS/Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I'm a little quandried about putting up pictures here. The pictures that I paid a guy to convert to digital from slides go fine. But the ones I take with my new digital camara are all too big and have to be reduced first. I cut them to 50% and they still are too big. HELP!
Easy. Re-size the original at 300 dpi, at 2" (or 600 pixels) at the largest end (usually that's horizontal) and you should be good for web and email. Do a save as and re-name adding small or web or something else to the image name, so you know the big images from the little. I typically use an underscore when naming images because the web does not like space.

image_1_lg.jpg (this would be how you would name the original)
image_1_sm.jpg (this would be the size for the web)
Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Frank, I posted this picture of a Linwood N.C. sunset by reducing the Length X Width to 800 X 533 pixels. I was apparently wrong when I said that Bob D'Amico said that the maximum KB [kilobytes] was 50 for this post. From the box that appears, for many different choices of picture files, when we click on the "paper clip", we are allowed, for an 800 X 600 Jpeg photo, 195.3 KB. This Jpeg photo for the down sized version is 75.1 KB., so it is less than the 195.3 maximum for a Jpeg photo.

MULE.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 PM

Gosh! I can show a few digital photos from family vacations..... it's art to me.
Hope I got the upload working..... hated to downsize this one for the upload.
Can you figure out which lighthouse this leads to beyond the dunes?
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesT View Post
Gosh! I can show a few digital photos from family vacations..... it's art to me.
Hope I got the upload working..... hated to downsize this one for the upload.
Can you figure out which lighthouse this leads to beyond the dunes?
Don't know the answer Charles, but a fine, fine photograph, and you sure have your upload working.

MULE.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 AM

It might not be but I think it is Race Light on the right and Hatches Harbor on the left. Back track heading west.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 AM
SS/Veteran

Default F/V Margaret D.

This painting is by my cousin, Larry Dahlmer. It's of our families boat, the Margaret D. Our grandfather, Capt. Johnny Dahlmer is in the pilothouse and the crew is sorting a tow of fish. The ship was built to my grandfather's design in Dunkirk, NY. It is named for my mother and mom christened her before gramps brought her to Gloucester through the Eirie Canal, down the Hudson and up the coast in 1910. She fished as a gillneter and laer as a seiner until she was wrecked on Salt Island, Rockport, Ma. on Good Friday the 13th. 1925.

The second is of two Gloucester Schooners rounding Eastern Point in Gloucester - racing home from the Grand Banks to be first to sell their catch. In the lead is the "Ingomar" trailed by "Elmina".

Larry is a builder of wooden boats and has a studio at his shop and marine railway on Rocky Neck in Gloucester. You can see more of his art at www.ladarts.com

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:30 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
It might not be but I think it is Race Light on the right and Hatches Harbor on the left. Back track heading west.
I suspect it it, Frank - taken from down by Herring Cove Beach, if I'm right.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 AM

This was taken from close to the light pretty much at the spot where the kids and I nail the blues in August. Picnic on the sand and watch the big boats racing .... so close that I could catch this with my pocket camera.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM
SS/Veteran

Really nice photos, Charles.

Over the years I have got some really good photos, not because I had an expensive camera but, because I had a small pocket camera which I always carried when fishing on the beach or in the boat.