Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 12-29-2005, 11:35 AM

Question Summer Fishing Help

I normally fish the DelMarVA coastline but my family and I are planning to come up to the Cape Cod area for a summer vacation. Can you tell me of any areas that are accessible by foot and that are generally productive in the summer? I am not looking for specific spots, but rather general areas such as the North Cape or Souind side etc. Also, I am used to fishing with bait down here. Can you recommend any particular bait to use or are plugs the best bet? I imagine it will be best to fish in the evening or at night. (I am targeting stripers) We will probably be coming up in the first half of July. Thanks for any advice. Rob
Old 12-29-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Summer Fishing Help

Sorry, I believe I posted on the wrong forum. Rob
Old 12-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Administrator

NP, I'll shoot a copy of this over to the Mass, forum for you. JOe
Old 12-30-2005, 09:12 AM

Rob,
Just about the entire Cape has access to our beaches. The Cape Cod National Seashore has 50 miles of ocean beach between Chatham and Provincetown. Some of it is open to 4WD but most of it is walk on. Get a free fishing-parking permit from the Visitor Center in Eastham. Go to their web site for more info, map,etc.@www.nps.gov/caca.

Most town beaches on Cape Cod Bay and Nantucket sound provide fishing access - at least in the evening and early morning which is when you want to fish, anyway. Best to go to local police station and ask about fishing parking.

Cape Cod Canal is under control of USCorpsEngineers. There are bike/walking baths on both sides of canal nearly from end to end (8 miles +)

#1 bait here is probably Sandeels followed by Seaworms, live Eels and then the chunk baits, Squid, Herring, Mackerel, Menhaden and then clams. Local tackle shops can guide you to areas to fish too.

About a week before you come if you want to shoot me an email or PM and let me know where you will be staying (town), I can give you name of nearest B&Ts and some current fishing information. I work at The Hook-Up B&T in Orleans and fish all over the cape.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the help. Do I need a license to fish the surf in Mass.? I only ask because a lot of states are either talking about it or starting it next year like N.C. Thanks, Rob
Old 12-30-2005, 09:18 PM
SS/Veteran

Not yet, but they are talking about it

Keeper of the light