Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 09-26-2005, 03:39 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Plum Island - Where to fish questions

Jan, we went thru 8 doz. worms and these things were the biggest I have ever seen. the worms we got were 18 inches long and 1 inch thick at the head. I ended up catching 4 keepers 30, 32.5, 34, & 36 inch. The 34 weighed the most it was a slob. and hit right before the sun came up. then like someone flipped a switch the fish stopped biting. some Dog fish have found the beach front.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2005, 03:47 PM
SS/Veteran

Here is a pic of the slob 34 inch
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2005, 04:13 PM

TattooBob,

It was great to get a chance to stop by and say hello on Sunday. Didn't see any VT plates, sorry maybe next time.

The seaworms I bought had a number of them the size in TattooBob's picture, but not as many as I would have thought given that I made a special trip to get them and paid for "selects". Next time I will definitely try out Bridge Road B&T. When you go there, do you drive from 495 all the way down 110 to RT. 1?

Averaged 1 striper an hour from 10 AM to 8 PM, almost all from 25-27 inches, all very lively, many very close to keeper but too short.

Fished clams and worms. All stripers on worms. Caught 6 spiny dogfish, several 3'-4' long, bigger than I have seen in past years. Dogfish hit both clams and worms, but mostly on the clams. Saw a lot of big clamshells where I was, so thought that would be a good bait, but no luck.

I have to take a hard look at the rigging on one of my bait rods. For some reason the last three times out it caught the majority of the fish, maybe 50-75%, and that is with four lines out all total. I don't believe in luck. Didn't matter where I set it up, or how I cast, just keeps getting hits consistently when the others don't very often. I have at least one other of my rods using the same rig setup, tied the same night, same hooks, same leader material, same floats, and haven't changed them out yet. I put on my weights randomly pulled out of a bucket each time out. I wonder if the leader is slightly different in length, as sometimes my consistency when I snell up a hook/leader leaves a couple of inches different from one set to another.

Funny thing happened when I went to leave. Just finished listening on the radio to the Pats beating the Steelers. Got a cell phone call. By then it was getting close to 8PM so I decided it was time to go. I had to take a quick pit stop before packing it in for the night, so I walk around to the back of the truck a ways. Right in the middle, I hear that wonderful sound of a drag screaming, and look over to see one of my "Old Red-eyes" bouncing down to the ground (it was totally dark at this point). So I start running, zipping, tripping, can't get my waders back up and strapped on. Get to the rod holder, grab it and start reeling. This one was big, somehow managed to tighten the drag a bit, start playing the fish, get one sholder strap clasped, headlamp on. Got the fish in the near surf, looks like high 30"s, maybe low 40"s. Makes another run out, bring it back in. My damn waders are still only half on, don't want to go too far in after the fish as I lost my floatation belt behind me somewhere in the sand, probably why I tripped running over, so I horse it a little too much ---- then snap, hook rips free, bye-bye cow. And it was on that same "lucky" rod.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Yes that is how I get to Bridge Rd. but I am sure you can go over the chain bridge to and get there that way to
Old 09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
SS/Veteran

I hit the reply button to fast, Funny about that cow story the same thing happened to Bruce, But his knot failed. it was real nice putting a face to a person I have been talking to for a while. oh and he usually just has basic worms but you can pay a dollar extra for big ones.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:10 AM

WOW..that is some fish! I think I made an error by not getting up early enough. How long do you think the fish will be biting up there?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:33 AM
SS/Veteran

I will be fishing there till the end of October
Maybe longer if we don't have any blizzards.
Then I will head south.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:59 PM

how did you do at the Cape?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:03 PM
SS/Veteran

Jan,
The bait is just coming out of the estuaries (Bunker & Alewife) and the bass are following them and blitzing the beach front. With the mild temps and the water temps still above 60 I will guess. at least another month or so also we have all the stripers from Maine and New Hampshire to cruse by there. Also you can fish the Cape and Rhode Island right up till the middle of December.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:16 PM

BOB and Plum..going to make thie trip again tomorrow..weather looks good. what about the wind? looks like SSW most of the weekend but not to strong. Dawn still the best this week? also...sounds like we should definately invest in the worm..correct? thanks, Jan
Old 09-30-2005, 06:13 AM
SS/Veteran

Woems work great Jan. I am leaving in a few hours.Maybe this time
I will see you
So far the weather looks great. Hopefully the wind will stay down.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:24 AM

what about tides? last week we really worked the 2 hrs before and after the high tides...the high tomorrow doesn't really work with dawn. any thoughts on that?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:37 AM
SS/Veteran

It doesn't seem to matter much these days what the tide is doing.
The fish are there and hungry but sunrise and sunset seem to always produce.
I am looking forward to tonights 10:27 though.
The important thing I think is that it will be incoming at sunrise.
Put on the long johns.
I bought these heat packs, and I put them in my pockets. They stay really warm for over 10 hours. Works great!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 AM

OK! got the long johns packed already! thanks
Old 09-30-2005, 12:46 PM

I have an observation. I think on the PI beachfront, reading the water and the sand is very important. Posts from PC and Bob make catching on the refuge sound easy, but rest assured these people I am sure I have put in their time driving the beach and reading the water. It's not like you can plunk a worm anywhere in the water and boom, a cow hits. Sure, it happens if you are lucky, but you need to put in your time if you don't want to get skunked, even in the fall. Even though PI has a lot of fish, you still need to put in your time to find them. Walking on makes this an even more time consuming project because we are talking miles and miles of sand here that all pretty much looks the same if you are not paying attention to stucture.
Correct me if I am wrong Plum and TattooBob, but I just don't want to mislead anybody into thinking stripers are popping out of the water everywhere you go on PI.