Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Stripers over run Miramichi River, considered salmon killers, whatcha' think Fran

You guys can still continue to discuss Cayuga fishing.

Bill mentioned atlantics feeding off of shrimp in the Atlantic while at sea reminds me of a story. One time a prominent fishing writer told his readers that salmon have pink meat from eating shrimp. Well, shrimp are pink when we eat them because we cook them first. I don't think salmon cook them because their fires would go out bein as they are in the water and all.

Similarly, there is a famous painting showing lobsters on the ocean's bottom and they are red.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Stripers over run Miramichi River, considered salmon killers, whatcha' think Fran

Yes, I did say that in the sea, Atlantics eat Krill and Shrimp and, they do. It is the Krill that give the salmon their red tinge. Many of she salmon that come into the Merrimack during the failed restoration attempt had shrimp in them and usually regurgatated them once they got into the holding tank at the top of the Essex Dam's fish lift. Undoubtedly, they ate the samon in the Merrimack's estuary or nearshore.
BillH
Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 AM

Why do the krill give the salmon a red or pink tinge? Are the krill that color?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:44 AM
SS/Veteran

So, I've been told but, I've never seen a krill
BillH
Old 03-24-2014, 04:49 PM

• The Danes have been surface gillnetting salmon for decades. It was thought that this was the cause of the rapid drop in the population. (but it was only one cause out of many) The fish spend their life at sea off the coast of Greenland and the Danes were the first to find them and capitalize on the ease of catching them. They do not school and tend to roam just under the surface just as they do when they are landlocked. The landlocked fish that inhabit many Maine lakes (and other states) are exactly the same fish as the Atlantics and cannot be told apart from examination even DNA. The fish are somewhat loners at sea because they are not caught in groups but are scattered throughout the nets which are set out over long distances. The nets do not wear out like our groundfish nets because they never contact the bottom. In all my years of bottom gillnetting I never caught an atlantic salmon. We were told to look out for them by NMFS because of the attempt to restore them to the Connecticut and Farmington rivers.
  • Frank, your suggestion to check the DNA of the Bass in the Merimichi is a good idea and it would end speculation. I'm sure if there was a spawning run of the magnitude needed to supply the number of fish they speak of someone would catch ripe fish and witness "rockfights" as in the Chesapeake.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Growing up in the 40s and 50s in Gloucester, we occasionally were given an Atlantic salmon that were taken in a neigbor's Trap Net which was on the cost between Gloucester and Manchester.. My uncles were captains of Gillnet boats and I worked reeling their nets and odd jobs on their wharves and around the boats but never remember them getting any salmon.
BillH
Old 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
Why do the krill give the salmon a red or pink tinge? Are the krill that color?

"Farm raised salmonids are also fed the carotenoids astaxanthin and canthaxanthin, so that their flesh colour matches wild salmon, which also contain the same carotenoid pigments from their diet in the wild."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquacul...monids#Feeding

The krill, AKA euphausiids, provide the color in wild fish. Without carotenoids, the flesh is white. I see this difference in sea run trout vs resident trout all the time here.

Also, carotenoids make carrots orange.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
SS/Veteran

We have to keep in mind here that just because a food is a certain color, it does NOT mean the eater will turn that color...'cause parts of this thread were starting to sound that way. I know people that eat tons of green vegetables, but they don't turn green.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALMONMEISTER View Post
We have to keep in mind here that just because a food is a certain color, it does NOT mean the eater will turn that color...'cause parts of this thread were starting to sound that way. I know people that eat tons of green vegetables, but they don't turn green.
I saw the thread going that way and gave it a push by saying that about pink shrimp when in fact, fully knowing, that it is cooking that makes shrimp pink. That is why I said I was pretty sure that salmon can't get a fire going while under water to cook their shrimp. But there was an escape to krill that got you-know-who off the hook. Many wild salmonids have pink flesh that spend their lives in sweet water like brook trout or even Great Lakes salmon. Next question, naturally, is: are there krill in the Great Lakes?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:24 PM
SS/Veteran

Well now, probably more than you want to see but; here's what I found out about Krill. Click on Krill.doc then on open to see a krill and read it's definition..
BillH

Last edited by lagoonguy : 09-24-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
I saw the thread going that way and gave it a push by saying that about pink shrimp when in fact, fully knowing, that it is cooking that makes shrimp pink. That is why I said I was pretty sure that salmon can't get a fire going while under water to cook their shrimp. But there was an escape to krill that got you-know-who off the hook. Many wild salmonids have pink flesh that spend their lives in sweet water like brook trout or even Great Lakes salmon. Next question, naturally, is: are there krill in the Great Lakes?
True krill are strictly marine, but there are mysis and scuds, which are FW shrimp.

Now that I think of it Frank, I eat multi-colored foods, and my hair and skin are a mix of those colors...gray!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoonguy View Post
Well now, probably more than you want to see but; here's what I found out about Krill. Click on Krill.doc then on open to see a krill and read it's definition..
BillH
No, tell our members what you got out of it. If I look it up, I could make a mistake.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:12 AM
SS/Veteran

There is a pinkish hue in that photo of the krill.

Back in the day the Connetquot river used to stock kamloop strain rainbow trout. Shaped like a football but still managed to get airbourne several times during the fight.

I gave one to my mother. She said, thanks for the salmon. I said "what salmon."
She showed me the pink flesh..

I really am not 100% certain that forage determines the color of the flesh. Like Frank said, there are a lot of examples showing that it's inconclusive.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:25 PM
SS/Veteran

MS,
Just curious. If forage does not determin the color of the Atlantic salmon flesh, what might it be?
BillH
Old 03-26-2014, 02:54 PM
SS/Veteran

I don't know. I meant I think most likely the krill determine the color. It makes sense if that is in fact what they eat while out at sea. I didn't even have any clue what they eat while offshore. I am not knowledgeable when it comes to atlantic salmon.