Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-27-2000, 11:32 PM

Mr. Daignault-

This may seem silly, but I must confess that it has crossed my mind more than once, while awaiting the arrival of Mr. Stripes on a cold, quiet night on the beach. It is generally believed - among the handful of surfcasters that I fish with - that if there are crabs tugging at your chunk of bunker, chances of there being Bass around are slim. Reason suggests that if there were bass in the area, "the crabs would have their nose in the sand." This thinking obviously stems from the fact that Stripes eat crabs. That being said, I wonder if a crab pulling away at a bunker chunk could actually increase the probability of attracting Mr. Bass. I can't say that I have ever had a chunk swallowed up by saxatilis as it was being abused by a crab, so my experience tells me that live crabs are not an added attractant to a chunk of meat but, the idea is entertaining.
Maybe I'm just nuts. Too much time alone in the surf.

Steve
Old 01-27-2000, 11:32 PM

Mr. Daignault-

This may seem silly, but I must confess that it has crossed my mind more than once, while awaiting the arrival of Mr. Stripes on a cold, quiet night on the beach. It is generally believed - among the handful of surfcasters that I fish with - that if there are crabs tugging at your chunk of bunker, chances of there being Bass around are slim. Reason suggests that if there were bass in the area, "the crabs would have their nose in the sand." This thinking obviously stems from the fact that Stripes eat crabs. That being said, I wonder if a crab pulling away at a bunker chunk could actually increase the probability of attracting Mr. Bass. I can't say that I have ever had a chunk swallowed up by saxatilis as it was being abused by a crab, so my experience tells me that live crabs are not an added attractant to a chunk of meat but, the idea is entertaining.
Maybe I'm just nuts. Too much time alone in the surf.

Steve
Old 01-28-2000, 10:40 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Hi Steven,
Your right about a lot of things here. First, you ARE nuts. Secondly, lonely nights on the beach might be the reason. You should do what they do surfcasting in Alaska, when me and Froggie was there fishin' with Mr. Palmer. Have one of more women. Now for the crabs.

I don't know what is happening out there any more than you, but your logic is good ... maybe I guess. We often think it is crabs when the chunks come back with eyes and gills gone but it could be those little water colored sand fleas, which I think the bass also eat, which I think pompano also eat. Bass scaring crabs is another of those fantasy things which creep into the mind while watching rods in the front, bears in the dunes and gorillas in the buggy. Crabs pulling on the chunks attract bass? Maybe. Thing about all this is that it is fraught with speculation. Years ago, when we used to use "cut bait", J and me would set up two rods apiece and spend the night baiting and casting at a comfortable speed. By the time we got back to the first rod, it was time for it to get a new, fresh bait which would either be gone or pretty old looking. I suppose if one is tangled in your leader, you would know what is cleaning off. But most of the time we didn't know what stoled the alewife piece. Maybe our northern crabs are not smart enough to hide when linesides she come. Lordy, now I'm doing it. Between casts we caught an awful lot of nice stripers. J's 42 pounder on p.50 of TS, which stands for Trophy Striper, was one of them. She was fishing with a man that night. A good one.

------------------
Frank
Old 01-29-2000, 04:05 PM

Whadda you talking about, Frank, I wasn't there that night [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Be careful you don't take a sip from that cold Sammie when you start reading this, I can tell you from experience it,s tough on the keyboard, ol' buddy.
Old 01-30-2000, 11:20 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Hi Froggie,
I was all set to send officer L'Amore after you. If you stay over here in non-fiction everything, she gonna be cool, I mean "too cool". If you must go over there go on Saturday mornings when they are all watching cartoons. Sorry about mixing you up with fishing with Mr. Palmer. I mean, how many is fishing in Alaska with a Popiel Pocket Fisherman? Garde pour les bruins, ma man.

------------------
Frank
Old 01-30-2000, 08:18 PM

I'll leave bear watch up to the High Command, as you put it, he's better at it than me. It's not da bears, it's Ma Bell keeping me away, can't surf from work anymore so I'm limited to looking in weekends. And I promised Mrs Froggy I would cut down on the after-dinner 'puter time.

So no need to involve Lootenant (current rank) L'Amour in an APB search, leave him be so he can keep Nauset safe from the heathen hordes. Which to him means anyone who lives west of Harwich.
Old 02-01-2000, 02:34 PM

Dear Frank,
I have to disagree with you in respect to the Crab thing, here in Jersey we fish Soft Calaco crabs, which by the way the hard calacos love as much as the bass. I can tell you from expierence that when the bass are around the crabs dont eat our baits, but as soon as the bite is off, the crabs come back. We also know that the place to fish is where the crabs are, because this is where the bass will be feeding and looking for softies. Sorry to disagree.