Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-03-2000, 05:37 PM

Hi Frank,

In the most recent issue of SWS there was a questionaire written by Al Ristori. One question about fishing for Stripers amongst a pack of blues was very intersting. He feels that tossing a bunker chunk beneath the school of blues is the best way to hook up with a striper. Do you agree with this? What about a bucktail bouncing on the bottom instead?
Old 02-03-2000, 05:37 PM

Hi Frank,

In the most recent issue of SWS there was a questionaire written by Al Ristori. One question about fishing for Stripers amongst a pack of blues was very intersting. He feels that tossing a bunker chunk beneath the school of blues is the best way to hook up with a striper. Do you agree with this? What about a bucktail bouncing on the bottom instead?
Old 02-04-2000, 08:48 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Hi 'don,
I didn't see the situation with SWS so any answer is kind of out of context. But the old saw about the cows always being under the blues catching the scraps is kind of overblown, kind of an oversimplification. The notion seems to get more attention in our angling literature than in real life. I don't really know what happens out there, down there. I only know what we are supposed to think. Sometimes they are not the same.

Al Ristori? Al Ristori? You trying to get me into trouble, ma man? Why don't you get me to go lock horns with Frank Woolner or Lee Wulff. I mean Ristory is like the A #1 person with SW and stripers and he is still with us. If says they are under, they are under. Interesting question,nontheless.

------------------
Frank
Old 02-04-2000, 08:14 PM

Gentlemen-

Like yourselves, I have no idea whats going on down there. I can tell you this - that photo of them pulling up a netfull of bunker was taken no more than 4 minutes from my house. It has been a ritual for years - the bunker mill about all night & you can pick away at Bass & blues. Then false dawn comes & the blues really go to town. The bunker get chased out of the harbor with the blues hot on their tails. Shortly after that, you get about 20 minutes of Bass & then things quiet down for the day. So it goes, Bunker - Blues - Bass. Praise the fish Gods.

Steve