Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-28-2000, 12:33 PM

Purchased your book through Amazon last month and it's really great. I need to ask you two questions regarding striped bass. I understand the fish are migratory but I also understand that they do not travel great distances in their route to a winter home. Where do they sit out Jan/Feb?.........Next question, have you had any more thoughts on the fish's ability to sense its surroundings beyond the traditional senses of sight, smell, and sound? Thankyou for the time.
Old 01-28-2000, 12:33 PM

Purchased your book through Amazon last month and it's really great. I need to ask you two questions regarding striped bass. I understand the fish are migratory but I also understand that they do not travel great distances in their route to a winter home. Where do they sit out Jan/Feb?.........Next question, have you had any more thoughts on the fish's ability to sense its surroundings beyond the traditional senses of sight, smell, and sound? Thankyou for the time.
Old 01-29-2000, 11:59 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Good morning, Boe,
You don't say which book -- there are four -- but from your question I can tell it is not Striper Surf so it must be TROPHY. I have no first hand knowledge where they winter but books say a large group is off North Carolina in winter. Total speculation on my part, I'll guess that much of what we fish for is broken up into contingents sitting here and there. Not in suspended animation but at reduced level of activity to preserve energy. Deer do that and I think much of what we have in nature resorts to similar means of dealing with their respective enviros. Atlantic salmon also.

As for senses, humans would all be more effective food gatherers if they stopped looking at their quarry in human terms. Wildlife is capable of responding to many more stimuli than we are. For instance, ever watch how a suspicious deer raises the alarm, or gets ready, by raising its foot. It is not smelling, calling, listening, but it is employing vibration. Other than the beach boys, what humans utilize vibration? You no doubt are referring to "proximity sense" which is something I gave rise to in one of the books (1/4 million words with four, so I don't remember.) This is the total of all a lineside's senses which as yet are not understood. I had to resort to this somewhat vicarious label to explain how a bass, she could, (her come the Cadien)lay in a current with a full tide drop like the Boston girls got the tow rope, darker than a swamp bottom, cloud cover, and see your swinging jig in 12 feet of water and never miss. Now there is an animal that she hunt, like a full belly would be not too shabby. That is proximity, a knowledge of where the forage it be.

Good question. Hope you don't mind the fun, ma man.

------------------
Frank
Old 01-30-2000, 02:07 PM

Thank you for the reply. I felt as if I were reading James Joyce's Ullysses in that last paragraph.
Old 01-30-2000, 08:10 PM

Music to mines ears, that last stuff--like standing on a street corner in Newark and hearing a Woon-sock-ette accent amid all the Joisey twangs.