Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 01-16-2000, 02:30 PM

Hi Frank,

Now that I'm well into surfcaster hibernation I have had much time to contemplate my experiences this past season. I've noticed that almost everytime the sun came up, the fishing would come to a grinding halt regardless of promising conditions. Where do they go? My guess is that they move towards deeper water or they still may be there, but are feeding right off the bottom. I know that they are primarily nocturnal feeders(especially the ones of "moby" size proportions), but with the success many day party boaters have it makes me think again. Thanks Frank.
Old 01-16-2000, 02:30 PM

Hi Frank,

Now that I'm well into surfcaster hibernation I have had much time to contemplate my experiences this past season. I've noticed that almost everytime the sun came up, the fishing would come to a grinding halt regardless of promising conditions. Where do they go? My guess is that they move towards deeper water or they still may be there, but are feeding right off the bottom. I know that they are primarily nocturnal feeders(especially the ones of "moby" size proportions), but with the success many day party boaters have it makes me think again. Thanks Frank.
Old 01-17-2000, 12:14 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Hi Posidon,
You really kind of answer your own questions and what you say is pretty much it. I think. There are always going to be exceptions, but darkness is believed to offer the cover the bass require in shallow water. As you say, when the sun comes up, the bass move out. And "out" is where the party boaters are in deep water where stripers have cover. Cover comes in three forms, (somebody check TROPHY STRIPER,) darkness, rough water, and depth. All fish and game are more relaxed, therefore more vulnerable, when they have cover. Some of the bass fishers I've ever known fished at night from boats. Fishing is too good these days for that. Lastly, a lot of regulars feel that bass will hit better during the day in colder months. I still take the nights.
Frankie
Old 01-18-2000, 01:08 AM

So if they move out as the sun comes up, you should try to fish deep and closer to the bottom unless the water is rough, then you should fish the wash because it provides cover, but its still better at night on a boat however cold days could mean a better day bite. Don't mind me Frank I'm just babbling to myself trying to make sense of all this madness. I guess thats why so many never get tired of this hunting this great gamefish. thanks again
Old 01-18-2000, 08:20 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

No,'don, you should go to bed when the sun comes up.

------------------
Frank
Old 01-24-2000, 09:11 PM

I love watching the daytimers rush in to get the "best spot" as the sun comes up & the fish move out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Steve
Old 02-02-2000, 03:54 PM

Poseidon, for what it's worth, I was out fishing with my daughter one day when it was about 95degrees with a bright sun and we caught a 20# Bass in 3 feet of water on musselbeds. I could see rocks,and bottom in alot of places, maybe it was just feeding or taking a nap, I thought and alway's heard Bass are light shy, but after that catch I've decided to re-think that opinion. Do what works for you. I had a few hours that day and we decided to try. I usually alway's fish at night. Just before dusk--fish til' dawn. Good luck......Jon B.