Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies

Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies SUV's, "Beach Buggy" Vehicles, Equipment and Getting Stuck

Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM

Default multi use unit!

i have started looking for a 4x4 for, hunting season, now that i am going to get back into surf fishing, i will try to find a rig for both.

i do have a RAM1500 Daytona, it is 4 wheel drive and has the Hemi, i have been using this for a few years for hunting and towing my trailer. but when i am not pulling the trailer my little dodge caliber is just not doing the trick. and since the Daytona has low profile 20'' tires and ground effects, beach driving would not be an option. plus my wife uses the Ram during the week, because it is a nice safe / easy vehicle to transport my granddaughter.

now i will probally get rid of the dodge caliber, maybe trade it in. so this leaves the question.....what do i replace it with?

i have been looking at the smaller pickups, dodge, ford, and chevy, would need to be exstended cab. probally get a cap. 4 wheel drive also a must.

then there is the jeep cherokee.

it doesnt need to be new, just modern / current.

i do not know how much beach driving i will do, but it would be nice to be able too, if i feel the need.

i had a dodge dakota that i had set up real nice that i bought in 93' but it had 425000 miles on it when i got rid of it. it didnt owe me a dime, but started costing me dollars.

any info / advice is welcome

RUNT
Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Default Re: multi use unit!

Runt,
For the beach, you cant beat a Cherokee, but sadly they stopped making them a few years back. I have two, a '96 that I use for just fishing the beach, and an '00 for everyday driving. They are great fishing machines, but I dont know how they would work dual purpose, fishing/hunting. Cargo area even with the rear seat folded down in limited. Bag a deer, it's going to have to be tied to the roof
I see quite a few extended cab Dakotas on the beach at IBSP, some with a cap, others without. They seem to do fine. I would go for something like that for a dual purpose over a Cherokee...
Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 PM

yeh i miss my old dakota! when we bought the new ram i was doing alot of drag racing [harleys] and my trailer is a us cargo first generation toy hualer. was / is the perfect set up for that hobby. but now that i only toy around once in a while locally. a little overkill for a hunting rig.....but its what i got.

found a crew cab dakota for around 10grand figure my caliber is worth that...maybe a even swap if i am lucky.

i am not worried aout the deer on the roof, but the 13 and 15 foot one piece surf poles do present a problem. its kinda funny to see my caliber with a surf pole that goes from the driverside rear corner, out the passanger window along the antenna and is linked to the front grill in a gentle arc with a small bungee cord.

oh yea! hit 100yards today with 4oz of lead, its nice to work on a golf coarse with all those nice yardage markers.

RUNT
Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM

How about an expediton? great space super on the beach and in the woods and they have become very cheap for a used one.
MBBA #2180 If it's plover season why can't we eat them?!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:28 PM

after giving this some more thought, i think i will hold off on the beach buggy. i will however take a look at maybe a set of tires on spare rims for my ram 1500 daytona. i was more worried about the ground clearence issues with it, but the front air dam is 13 inches above the ground. so if i get a set of oversize tires on some rims that i can air down. it would be a little less money then another vehicle.

thanks for everyones advice.

RUNT
Old 07-23-2009, 04:37 PM

i have 275 55 20r on my f150 and i have no problem airing down to 15 pounds on the beach
Old 07-24-2009, 10:37 AM

THANKS, i was wondering about that. so looks like i have to start rigging the truck up.

RUNT
Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 PM

ok, just got a line on a 1988 jeep comanche, short bed 4x4, under a grand, nice shape. so i bought it, happy x-mas to me, ordered some things i saw it needed and here we go. lets me have the best of both worlds as far as i can see.

runt
Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up Re: multi use unit!

Congrats and of course best of luck with your new beach buggy.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Runt,
For the beach, you cant beat a Cherokee, but sadly they stopped making them a few years back. I have two, a '96 that I use for just fishing the beach, and an '00 for everyday driving. They are great fishing machines, but I dont know how they would work dual purpose, fishing/hunting. Cargo area even with the rear seat folded down in limited. Bag a deer, it's going to have to be tied to the roof
I see quite a few extended cab Dakotas on the beach at IBSP, some with a cap, others without. They seem to do fine. I would go for something like that for a dual purpose over a Cherokee...

Toyota 4 runner is worth checking out. I just received premission to convert my girlfriends Cherokee (03 4L) into a usable surf buggy!!! Although there are a number of mechanical aspects you have to be aware of with those......the fan relays break frequently leaving you either stuck with the fan on or worse stuck off. Head gaskets go on both the V8 and straight 6 models....the transmission and drivetrain do ok if your good with changing the trans fluid and filter as recommended.

That said if you drive them easy you should be ok with one. I personally have worked on too many of them to advise buying one, but heck I will enjoy using her's cause my accord doesn't do well on the beach