Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-02-2000, 02:22 AM

Frank--

I Have read your books Striper Surf (which I consider to be the bible on the subject) and Striper Hot Spots (another informative, well written book). I was wondering if you knew anything about the striper fishing on the North Shore of LI, particularly Hempstead Harbor. I started fishing the area known locally as "the elephant herd" (which luckily for me happens to be right out my good friends backdoor), and was hoping you knew a little info on the spot, or any other spots in general locale. Any info would be greatly appreciated from you Frank, or from anyone else.

Keep up the great work, and Happy Fishing to all.

Patrick

------------------
Old 02-02-2000, 02:22 AM

Frank--

I Have read your books Striper Surf (which I consider to be the bible on the subject) and Striper Hot Spots (another informative, well written book). I was wondering if you knew anything about the striper fishing on the North Shore of LI, particularly Hempstead Harbor. I started fishing the area known locally as "the elephant herd" (which luckily for me happens to be right out my good friends backdoor), and was hoping you knew a little info on the spot, or any other spots in general locale. Any info would be greatly appreciated from you Frank, or from anyone else.

Keep up the great work, and Happy Fishing to all.

Patrick

------------------
Old 02-02-2000, 10:23 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Patrick, welcome to in-your-face surfcasting. Put the diet coke in the corner.

No, I don't know that area at all. But if you stick to basics I'm sure that you can become the man for that shore by watching inlets and outflows after dark while noting the number and composition of vehicles there. In the beginning, don't kill yourself but be a detective in that you are watching for evidence -- blood on the rocks, scales, boot prints in the mud, a Gibbs wrapper. I'll tell you this, Patrick, there are people reading this this minute who know. But will they tell? Hey, gang, how is that for winging it? (I had to say something.)

You can't let a guy like that go. He was polite, has good taste in books, didn't gang on to anybody, was not vulgar, wasn't taking up my time with a lot of chops busting, didn't write a nastygram to Bob. When Mr.Grog sits down with his coffee, it is nice to be greeted with a genuine person with real concerns. Thanks Patrick.

------------------
Frank
Old 02-04-2000, 01:45 AM

Patrick
As an older surf fool, my advice to you is to get to know a couple of spots close to home so when an eveing has a couple of free hours you can go fish. When you have gottn through all of Frank's books and the other surf specific books you may want to read SW fly fishing books, just think about it, a surf rod can cast 100 yds. but it takes a pro to get out a 100 feet with a fly rod.

Tight lines.
Old 02-04-2000, 12:08 PM
JohnP

Patrick,

This is my neck 'o the woods, but not my jurisdiction. You wanna send me an email to john.papciak@db.com and I'll put you in touch with a buddy who fishes up that way often. Its not so much a problem of secret spots, but rather access. The nawth shaw is chock full of "Private" and "No Parking" signs, and it seems at least some of the home owners on the sound have nothing better to do than look for fishermen so that they can call the police. Fishin' up there can be very good, esp when the bunkers come into the harbor, but for me, its 45 minutes with the hassel vs. 15 minutes to Jones Beach. If you dont get a taker on-line, shoot me an email.
Old 02-04-2000, 02:08 PM

Frank Jessup--

Thanks for the advice on the fly rod. I do have a saltwater fly rod that I got this winter and will be using at the first sign of any action. The big sticks are always good on those windy days when amatuers like myself cant get the fly out *** far.

Thanks Again

------------------
Old 02-04-2000, 02:27 PM

Thanks Frank (I think) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2000, 10:07 AM

Patrick,
i live in the hempstead harbor area and have fished it for quite a few years, i know the area your speaking of, "the elephant heards", it is quite a productive spot, shore access would be a gift from the almighty one, i would follow franks advice and do your detective work, and hopefully you will be rewarded, if you need any more information or need help with your detective work, feel free to e-mail me at jjd223@aol.com

Metal lip
Old 02-05-2000, 12:33 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I knew they would come through. Sounds like a car hiding problem to me. You see they can only get you through the vehicle. Get dropped off or have a business who says, just put it over there and you have them by the you-know-whats. I once held my wrists out to an officer in Narragansett nearly 40 years ago telling him to either arrest me or leave me alone. It is called "malicious prosecution". Then, if there was a US Constitution, it was kept secret. These days they have so many real bad guys that they leave the good guys alone....I think, usually, hmmmm.

------------------
Frank
Old 02-05-2000, 03:13 PM

John P & Metal Lip-- Thanks for the replys, I emailed both of you with information.

Frank D--Thanks again for the tips, right you were as usual.

Thanks Everybody

------------------
Old 02-05-2000, 08:15 PM

I wish I could Cast one hundred yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2000, 11:06 PM

PMcGov
I fished Bar Beach area of Hempstead Harbor this past fall. To sum up the action.........incredible......Blues slammed the bunker in a corner of the bar hours. Big Blues Mid to high teens. Unfortunatly a boater put an end to that action real quick.
Don't overlook little neck bay....that action will heat up real quick in March and April. My surf club makes a daytime jaunt to that area in the spring, last year we followed fish from the beginning of the incoming right through to the change. All schoolies but after a long winter it felt great. Send me an email@Fundy23@aol.com if you would like to drop a line on some of that schoolie action in March wit da boyz!
PGA

[This message has been edited by Georgie PGA (edited 02-05-2000).]