Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:04 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Needlefish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybugger View Post
What started as an experiment last June with 9 colors of VERY expensive pigment has turned into one of our top colors in needle fish. Within the first two weeks there were numerous fish over 30lbs off the beach and so many 15-25lbers we lost count. Fish were taking these things literally when people next to them were catching nothing. We heard this back from every one of the testers.
Salty,
Were you among those who caught so many and lost count while no one else was catching anything? I am just wondering if those who did not catch anything were using your lures with different colors or just different kind of lures? Were they using needlefish too? Was it at night or day time?
And from a scientific point of view, Did the the same testers tried the same needlefish but with different colors to make the point that the color is the factor here?
If the goal of the test was the color then I would expect from the same testers to test the same lure but with different color and not to compare the results with other people who only use bucktails, pencil poppers or clams like Rag.

I am interested to find out if it was the color, the lure or something else. Can you please give us more information.

Thank you,
Old 02-01-2007, 08:18 AM

DJ - ever try pearl white or white in that situation?

Anyway, this thread made me realize I had a definite Salty deficiency in my plug arsenal. I did like the less expensive all white - nice idea.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
SS/Veteran

50-Honestly the situation that I am thinking of experiencially...the night was so black you could see nothing! I know you are familiar with the condition of which I speak. I had no problem at all hitting a load of bass on the Habs blurple but...I am thinking about situation where they are a little more fussy. I was into such a good hit for several nights, I never experimented...stupid me...I like banging too much . For what ever reason I am never quite satisfied with success.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 AM

DJ, You will get that Monster...................
Old 02-01-2007, 10:00 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy50 View Post
Anyway, this thread made me realize I had a definite Salty deficiency in my plug arsenal.
Right on Wheresmy50.
Me too. I think I know what kind of paint that is. It looks like the Dupont Automotive paint that changes with the light and movement. I am not saying that Salty is using DuPont, just that I am familiar with the type of pigment and it is very interesting.
I think DJ may have to pick me up a few, especially the black.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:40 AM

DJ you ordered Black Purple not turquoise FIRE If you want to exchange it then no problem.

WM50 that was done to counter all the garbage stuff being brought in from overseas last year. I want these affordable..

Ship...not even close. I mix all my own stuff by hand. That is 9 pigment colors and it's not what you think it is. Nor would you believe what that stuff is sold for.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:08 AM
SS/Veteran

Salty...will you have that Torquoise Fire color at the shows?? If not hit me with another...bill my card.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 AM

I will stick one aside for you. I'm sure they will be long gone by the time risaa rolls around.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:30 AM
SS/Veteran

This I gotta See,
Just ordered one from your website.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:49 AM

very informative-thanks everyone-especially the craftsmen and guides-I sure hope no one asks about metal-lipped swimmers-LOL
Old 02-01-2007, 11:50 AM

shipwreck got it. Will try and get them put together before surgery next week. There are loads more in front of them. If it doesn't get done it will be a while as I'll be down.
thanks also.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Muller View Post
HUH???? First off you have never driven up on me not even once!! You know how many times I have driven by you??? You sitting in the chair snorring away with your rods going back and forth as you inhale and exhale. ???

Don't make me laugh so hard!

Anyone that knows me and knows the island knows where I will be most of the time...right Mr. Hank? Mr. Benny?, Mr. Shipwreck?
Umm DJ,
I think that was my point. I dont look for people on the beach, just fish where I like... And that back and forth motion is actually a clam tactic taught to me by and old timer. Get it right, IT'S A BUCKET NOT A CHAIR!!!

Back to the needles... I can see where a good chunk of my income tax refund is going this year... New waders, then off to plug land.... A question to Salty, Armand and John about colors. I usually fish mornings after work (7 AM and on). What would be a good color to try during those times? Figure the same light levels in spring/fall. Bright colors, dark colors, any flash like the sparkles?
I'm not going to go crazy with needles, but want to fish them more, so any insight is good.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 PM

ragman too funny. I'm can only tell you what I personally fish. Most early mornings/low light levels/cloudy days you will find either parrot or banana stick on my rods, but then there's always the days where nothing will touch them and olive or black/silver whacks them senseless. I tend to change out til I find what color they are really aggressive for and fish that.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltybugger View Post
ragman too funny. I'm can only tell you what I personally fish. Most early mornings/low light levels/cloudy days you will find either parrot or banana stick on my rods, but then there's always the days where nothing will touch them and olive or black/silver whacks them senseless. I tend to change out til I find what color they are really aggressive for and fish that.
Thanks Salty.
So, I'm guessing it's pretty much like swimmers? Bright colors for days, darker for nights? Pretty much have to get a selection from the spectrum. That check is getting smaller and smaller, and I haven't even gotten it yet...
Old 02-01-2007, 01:22 PM

Ragman I fish swimmers less than poppers or needles so I can't answer that. I am a top water popper junkie. I'm usually fishing either banana or olive or pink squid when I fish swimmers. Those are just the colors I like. I find that I catch better on the high contrast stuff. Maybe it's confidence I dunno.