Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 11-11-2003, 11:02 PM

I know gottog, I still gotta get out there...this is just gonna make it all better. I've waded in shorts and flip flops in November last year for 3 hours straight, and it was not fun.
Part of the deal with my dad was that he would take me out there ALOT MORE OFTEN and AT NIGHT with LIVE EELS at GOOD SPOTS....I should be catching some fish....

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-11-2003, 11:15 PM
Togalicious Moderator

Vic, enjoy the time spent with your dad especially since it encompasses fishing. Much luck.

My rod has cool wrappings
Old 11-11-2003, 11:17 PM
spence

I don't think I have a single piece of gear from when I started out. I did tons of Internet research, fished a few times and realized I bought all the wrong stuff.

-spence
Old 11-11-2003, 11:35 PM

my dad? fishing? my dad doesn't know the difference between fresh and salt water.

Tight Lines!
-Vic
Old 11-12-2003, 09:22 AM

For the so called "joint" over the CT some builders use Electrial Tape , Saran Wrap, Scotch Tape, or shrink tube. The reason is to hold the CT from comming loose and prevent the adhesive from the CT from oozing out thru the wrap.Some like the newes Eva foam in this area but it comes in to few sizes(4)and usually can't be streached over the CT with out causing the CT to unravel. Either way it does not strengthen the blank solely to hold the CT in place and cosmetic/comfort.

As far as the seats most production companies use a cardboard sleeve as a shim under the seat and epoxy in place.If not enough epoxy is used when it gets wet while fishing it will break down the cardboard and fail. custom builders for years have used 3/4" Masking tape as shims(2-3)top ,center & bottom and then spread epoxy to fill the seat.This can also fail if not enough epoxy is used to fill the gap between the tape shims because the masking tape takes up to 2-1/4" of the possible 5" of the seat.Which leaves only 2-3/4" of contact for the seat to the blank. The newer way is to use 1-1/2" - 2" Fiberglass Dry Wall Tape as a shim. It allows the epoixy to flo thru the mesh tape allowing a full 5" of contact to the blank if applyed correctly.

Hope this help out.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:24 AM
SS/Platinum

For KMB, I think the problem that you are describing is the fact, that there is space between the reel seat and the rod blank. Occasionally, a reel seat is too large for the blank in the area that one wants it to be seated. With that in mind, the blank area must be built up and yes, there is spacing between the ends of the reel seat and the blank. This area must be filled and tappered.

St Croix tends to use CARDBOARD to fill this space. I just had 2 rods repaired due to the reel seat failing and twisting when under torque of a fish.

Most custom rod builders will use a material suitable for the task. Cardboard is not suitable.

The only way to avoid that problem is to have every reel seat fit perfectly to the blank in the location that it is to be mounted. That my friend is not going to happen 100% of the time. But, in my 45 yrs of fishing, I have found the custom rods to far exceed production rods in all but a very few times.

I own several St Croix rods. The reel seat has failed on all of them that were production rods. The rods that were built on St Croix blanks by custom builders have had no reel seat failures.

You gets what you pays for.

American by birth....
Southerner by Choice.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:33 AM

Like FH said in most cases you should try to get the closest fit. But in some cases we have to use larger size seats. EX if the guy is going to use a Newell reel we have to use at least a #20 trigger seat because the newell has a round bottom and will not tighten down on a #18T which is a flat seat.It is up to the Builder to know and ask these questions.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:49 AM

quote:
MikeCC - how much do those big strippers run? Just curious...

John
I will shoot you a PM .

I just got back from the Tackle Trade show in CT and trying to catch up on the boards.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:29 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is an old saying auto machanics used to say. "Chrome don't get you home!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bikers use that term just like i Did

Cape Cod Guide
Old 11-12-2003, 12:42 PM

Lets add some more complication that the rod builder takes into consideration. One guy has huge hands , the other small hands. The reel seat size changes.

Some rods , usually fast action rods , have quite a taper , some rods have much less taper. The reel seat changes to accomodate the taper.

Some guys want the reel seat 18 inches from the butt , some want it 32 inches from the but. The reel seat changes. All these things have to be accomodated by the custom builder. I use two systems to mount the reel seats. One involves the use of a very liquid epoxy system (Flexcoat rodbond) that allows for good filling of thin gaps between the reel seat and the blank. Tthe next uses a very viscous epoxy (Kardohl) system , more like putty than liquid , which I use when there is a big gap to fill. The methods used to shim the seat and apply the epoxy vary greatly between the two systems.

Some people don't use cork tape. They use real cork or just neoprene. Some people don't even want a continuous handle , just some handle material in a couple of small lengths down from the reel seat with the rest a bare blank. A reel seat , if properly applied , could be used without any grip material at all and it should not come loose.

Anyway , maybe the methods for doing this stuff is best left up to the collective knowledge of the people who build thousands of rods amongst them and discuss this stuff freely in person and at rod building seminars and on the rod building forums. Also remember that most of the rodbuilders are also pretty good fisherman.

My last comment is about the cheap shots at guys who feel its worth the money to pay for art work. just cause they think its worth paying extra for a nice looking design , doesn't mean they are ignorant about the functional aspects of the rod. Some of the best fisherman I make rods for insist on all black rods. That's not because an all black rod fishes any better or worse than a rod with a fancy butt wrap. Someone who specifies an all black rod is in his own way , making a "fashion statement". Some people choose a navy blue suit and some people choose a black suit. It doesn't mean that the guy who chooses the blue suit has less awareness than the guy who chooses the black suit that the primary purpose of the suit is to cover his butt crack.

It sounds to me like KMB is a little defensive and trying to justify why he uses a factory rod that has repeatedly had a reel seat come loose vs getting a custom rod built. His way of justifying his own medeocre choice is to run down the custom rod and the people who would choose to spent the money to get the very best rods available. By running down the custom rod , he hopes to make his factory rod look like the best choice. To a truly knowledgeable fisherman , that trick just doesn't work!
Old 11-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Togalicious Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Saltheart:
My last comment is about the cheap shots at guys who feel its worth the money to pay for art work. just cause they think its worth paying extra for a nice looking design , doesn't mean they are ignorant about the functional aspects of the rod. Some of the best fisherman I make rods for insist on all black rods. That's not because an all black rod fishes any better or worse than a rod with a fancy butt wrap. Someone who specifies an all black rod is in his own way , making a "fashion statement". Some people choose a navy blue suit and some people choose a black suit. It doesn't mean that the guy who chooses the blue suit has less awareness than the guy who chooses the black suit that the primary purpose of the suit is to cover his butt crack.

My custom rod was made for me to PERFORM the way I want it to. The fancy, tricked-out wrappings are just the icing on the cake!!! Well said Saltheart.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:11 PM

Tight Lines!
-Vic