Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:30 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Pencil Poppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB #1 View Post
I have caught a few fish on pencils...
HABS pencil's rock I picked up a few last summer an did well with em.I can't wait to get my mits on some of the new ones..
My favorites go from 3-3.75 oz's
Color does matter sometimes.
If I had to pick one it would be yellow over white.
Any large bait fish is yellow when it flashes.
Last year I went thru em like water.
parrot,chart/white,white/red head,White/blue head,an plain white...
All did well.Thats my basic color range.
I made up a few carrots(flame orange) never had much luck with em..
NIBbles...what do you mean you went through them like water?? What sized (pound test) leader are you using?? Where you using PP braid by any chance?? Also I threw that YZ Surface Bull (which I love) in factory Pink/Yellow and didn't hook up in a blitz...couldn't figure out why. I pulled out a blue Gibbs and BAM..first cast. I took that YZ home sanded the bitch down, spray painted it white and it was a big producer from then on. Probably just a confidence/superstition thing...but who knows...I don't gamble in that department. BTW are you the reason the Den ran out of pencils last spring??
Old 02-17-2007, 04:00 PM
SS/Veteran

With the size of the blues around last spring they probably got chewed up.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:44 PM

I been down this street before..I had 30 fish over 30 lbs last yr on pencils..One of my friends who was in my circle says it was way more.
I weighed 5 fish in for my club contest that went 182 lbs.
I know i did not put in my five biggest..
Believe me i know what I'm doin.
I use Only NEW 30lb fireline,I changed it out at least twice last spring..80 an 100lb test Big Game for leader an A size 35, 200 lb rosco coastlock snap..I had some fish in late MAy then they dissappeared.Then I was fishing 2 times a day everyday from June 20th to july 14th.Thats 50 trips.right there.I tell ya I never missed a trip......Stuff just Happens If i buy a gibbs the first thing I do is cut the wire out an rewire with my own stronger wirethen Change the swivel to either a 2/0 500 lb,or 1/0 370 lb spro..Change out the hooks with a 6x 4/0 VMC on the front an either a 6/0 old mustad on the rear or a 5/0 VMC.I never leave any doubt in my gear.My friend calls me Bigger Is Better.. Part of the problem was if u used a plug in the evening it would not be dry for the morning shot.I would take my gear an hang it in the garage with the de-humidifier on it.That helped some but i still like fresh ones for the morning.Remember some of them days it poured like mad..Them gibbs soaked up water like a sponge..I had a few 30 fish days. Giant fish in rough water just winch em in,yank em up on the jetty in a wave, release the fish cast out an get another...They just get ruined from fish an rocks....I would give some away.I went an bought a dozen pencils from MAC in july I think I have 8 left.I gave one to a friend in LI said He was killin fish on it.much to all of his buddies dismay when then, he lost it..I primarily use my own.That is when i make em.I had some going into last yr.But they went fast....I like what i see in HABS poppers besides that I have not seen very many that i would consider good.I have used the yo-zuri. Not really found of em.Every now an then They wobble on the cast an take alot of the distance out of em..i read somewhere where someone said they flat out,outcast the gibbs well any day someone wants to put some money on that challenge I'm certainly up for it..
They do catch fish though..I have a dozen or so I bought for real short doe when ronnie was blowin em out round 6 yrs ago..They just don't get much play in NIB's world..
I had the bulk of my fish on 1 or 2 particular colors. I did well with a Mike Fixter pencil.I lost a giant on a mac pencil.When the size 7 triple splitring opened an the tail hook a 6/0 mustad got mangled..The fish had a eyeball like a grapefruit..I would have landed em if i was by myself but someone was in my way. I had em on the line just too long.i didn't realize how big it was till the second she let go..Oh well these things happen.
There u go.Now go write a article...
Old 02-17-2007, 09:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB #1 View Post
I been down this street before..I had 30 fish over 30 lbs last yr on pencils..One of my friends who was in my circle says it was way more.
I weighed 5 fish in for my club contest that went 182 lbs.
I know i did not put in my five biggest..
Believe me i know what I'm doin.
I use Only NEW 30lb fireline,I changed it out at least twice last spring..80 an 100lb test Big Game for leader an A size 35, 200 lb rosco coastlock snap..I had some fish in late MAy then they dissappeared.Then I was fishing 2 times a day everyday from June 20th to july 14th.Thats 50 trips.right there.I tell ya I never missed a trip......Stuff just Happens If i buy a gibbs the first thing I do is cut the wire out an rewire with my own stronger wirethen Change the swivel to either a 2/0 500 lb,or 1/0 370 lb spro..Change out the hooks with a 6x 4/0 VMC on the front an either a 6/0 old mustad on the rear or a 5/0 VMC.I never leave any doubt in my gear.My friend calls me Bigger Is Better.. Part of the problem was if u used a plug in the evening it would not be dry for the morning shot.I would take my gear an hang it in the garage with the de-humidifier on it.That helped some but i still like fresh ones for the morning.Remember some of them days it poured like mad..Them gibbs soaked up water like a sponge..I had a few 30 fish days. Giant fish in rough water just winch em in,yank em up on the jetty in a wave, release the fish cast out an get another...They just get ruined from fish an rocks....I would give some away.I went an bought a dozen pencils from MAC in july I think I have 8 left.I gave one to a friend in LI said He was killin fish on it.much to all of his buddies dismay when then, he lost it..I primarily use my own.That is when i make em.I had some going into last yr.But they went fast....I like what i see in HABS poppers besides that I have not seen very many that i would consider good.I have used the yo-zuri. Not really found of em.Every now an then They wobble on the cast an take alot of the distance out of em..i read somewhere where someone said they flat out,outcast the gibbs well any day someone wants to put some money on that challenge I'm certainly up for it..
They do catch fish though..I have a dozen or so I bought for real short doe when ronnie was blowin em out round 6 yrs ago..They just don't get much play in NIB's world..
I had the bulk of my fish on 1 or 2 particular colors. I did well with a Mike Fixter pencil.I lost a giant on a mac pencil.When the size 7 triple splitring opened an the tail hook a 6/0 mustad got mangled..The fish had a eyeball like a grapefruit..I would have landed em if i was by myself but someone was in my way. I had em on the line just too long.i didn't realize how big it was till the second she let go..Oh well these things happen.
There u go.Now go write a article...
NIBbles...I just got done with an article thanks... ...

I wanted to mention a couple things...what you said was true, all of it...but I have gone to a lot of YZ (Braid has some new HUGE pencils...talk to Ron)because of exactly what you said about the Gibb's that is SOOO true, I just keep hanging em up to dry take the dry one's and then stuff the dry ones in the bag...after a while that got beat so...YZ's solid plastic (btw these are said to weigh 3.5 but I have weighed them, both the cruisers and the bull's they are 5.5 oz. ...if I remember straight , that would explain the difference in distance) ...never changes in regards to weigh, never gets water-logged...the problem was however I had two snap but not at a fishes expense. (but it's OK Ron takes em right back). The through-wire is heavy gage. I busted one one morning last July on a dink 17 3er and then continued to use it all day...20 fish and 12 hours later, it was still blasting but it was now a 2 pc.) It comes with at least 4/0 VMC on front and on the back I put a single 7/0 dressed Musatd which have never failed me. I do that on just about all my big poppers. I also like the big Gibbs Polaris poppers...they can do it all. I am definitely going to try Johnny B. Goode's biggest pencil this year.

Line-wise I switched to 50# Sufix Performance Braid last year and it blew the doors off the PP junk. I use 100# TripleFish leader material.

BTW...I wasn't questioning your ability...it is well known that you are an ace. I just like to process and filter good from trash, in regards to equipment and technique.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

NIB #1
I'm amazed that you change out all the tackle on a new gibbs.
I guess you can never be to safe when you playing with the big girls.

Thanks for sharing your insight.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Hey NIB...u ever through the big Habs needles to the spring fish???
Old 02-17-2007, 10:54 PM

There was a time last yr there where really big fish blowin up on bait right at the very end of a 150 yd cast.I never hooked one but i had one blow up an miss.I'm not doing that with a yo zuri.There is a fine line in my gear where the weight of a plug or extra weight of a plug diminishes the casting distance.
In other words a 5 oz plug will not cast further than A 3.5 oz plug just because it's heavier.For my gear i have found that 3-3.5 is the optimum range.
The gear it would take to cast a 5 oz plug further I think one would be too cumbersome even for the NIB an 2 not necessarily work a pencil better...
U have to change the split rings out immediately on the YZ although they look decent they are pure crap.
I have been usin fireline for 12 yrs.I experimented some with other things had some bad experiences.Learned my lesson.. I will never change there is no reason to..
I only scored the HABS pencils last fall..
They worked well for me.They will be abused this yr..
if ur usin Mustad siwash they are junk also.Seems closin em causes a weakness.Take one on ur plug an bend it to the side wit pliers an watch how fast it breaks.Use VMC an change em out when they rust. I have seen the trend in the single tail hook.Been there dun that..Not for me, it's not a bluefish bomb.I prefer a big treble.
I don't miss as many hook-ups.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:12 PM
SS/Veteran

NIB...can you email me your email address??? I have some more comments....djmull13@msn.com
Old 02-18-2007, 01:10 AM
SS/Veteran

What about Big Don's pencils?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:15 AM

Tried the Big Don's didn't care for em.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:53 AM
SS/Veteran

Mr. T,

You should write a book of your own.

My wife had her yappy girlfriend over last night. She was giving me crap about fishing. She is an animal rights chick. She said fisherman unfairly bait a hook sit comfortably and kill stuff. She annoys me.
I told her it was a little more than that.

Then I remembered your response to saltys request for a wood story. I just made her read that post. It made the point. My wife, who is more educated (English Lit), read it and really liked it. She said you have a voice. I told her she had no idea. lol

Anyway it was very compelling and I bet you got more.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 AM

I have to agree with shipwreck on that one. You are a good writer. Have you considered sending some samples into some of the Fishing Mags?

Anyone here try the fixter pencils, I've heard some good stuff about them?

Oh yeah, NIBby, have you already done any writing for magazines? It would be ashame to waste all that creativity on just banging the boards.

Armand
Old 02-18-2007, 10:12 AM

No desire to write books or articles. I prefer to share for free.
I figure if I am gonna be surrounded it is better to have someone with a clue next to me that someone with less than no clue..
The compliments are nice but really unnecessary.
My gourd is already big enough.
RI, it's in writing. In the last paragraph the second sentence I said I have done well with Mike Fixter's Pencils.
Classic case of too much information..

SW tell ur wifes friend to get invovled with Human rights.
It's so easy to sit an preach..
Bla Bla Bla killin animals is bad.
Well we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for dead animals..
Tell her to start with the ethical treatment of children..
Old 02-18-2007, 11:21 AM

Nib, Working on something Nice for You..............
Old 02-18-2007, 11:37 AM

I scored some custom builder pencils in some trades.
2oz. These are some of my favorite colors.
Come on spring!