Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Computers, etc

Computers, etc Computers, Networking, Printers, Electronics, TV's, SAT Radio, iPods and why you too hate Microsoft.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:33 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default access and sharepoint

Anybody familiar with these M$ tools?

My boss wants me to create a db such that MS Query will work, can do (I suppose VBA) queries from Excel as well as pull reports etc.?

I've strictly been a unix, oracle, sql plus middleware-to-the-max guy, this M$ stuff has been learn-only-what-I-need... but now am being stretched.

I know there is a TON of info out there, but looking for some pointers to the clearest direct path to building an Access DB + any integration with Sharepoint.

I'll be hitting the bookstores and looking online, but trying to see if there are good jumpstarts out there.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:07 AM

Default Re: access and sharepoint

MS Access should feel familiar after you get used to the quirky UI that tries to make a simple RDBMS "user-friendly"...it uses the standard joins, tables, etc. underneath what's basically a Forms wizard. You need a system running as the "server" to share stuff obviously. It's not for heavy-duty use, so maybe you just want to create a MS access UI to your Oracle DB?

Not sure why you care about Sharepoint if you just want to do queries against it.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:39 AM

I actually know very little about sharepoint, but that is a tool used by the org for some workflow right now, beyond just doc sharing where requests get entered, status tracked, etc. Regardless, my need is for the db to have some kind of form frontend so that users can enter a request for "data" (not important what data for this discussion) and have a chunk assigned to them, with some workflow between the request and the data chunk (for lack of a better term) being assigned...one or more people have to do some work. Of Course all this has to be tracked and reported ( e.g. # of reqs, cycle time for example ) nothing exotic here but the nature of the data drives the need for a db, really, to help manage this..email and xls not cutting it
Old 09-18-2008, 08:28 AM
SS/Insider

Wish I could help you out Rob but I don't know how to tie sharepoint and access together as you need it. Are you just looking for people to use access to "request" and then have someone grant this request using sharepoint to give them access to the information? If that's the case you're actually asking for help to create a form in Access.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:51 AM

ok, Chris, that may be what was in mind w.r.t. sharepoint (it's use is fuzzy in my mind right now), but yes form help w/Access would be great. I know stuff is out there and will be looking at it today.. from what I've read so far, should be straightforward to just set up the access db for me (started using the wizard, have done some queries and built rudimentary tables....) but tying this all together will be my challenge