Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:04 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Triple Crown 2017

On a different note first, !WOW! is about all I can say about the horse Arrogate, he stomped the field last Saturday in the inaugural Pegasus World Cup run at Gulfstream Park. You had to pony up a 1,000,000 dollars to enter (12 slots sold), in the end it was a pretty bad investment for California Chrome's backers.

Today used to be the start of the main process of gaining entry to the Kentucky Derby, it still does hold large significance even though points are now accumulated for 7 months prior to that race.

We have 3 undefeated horses today in the Holy Bull Stakes, Classic Empire (#3) being the odds on early choice. He has 4 wins, did wheel and lose the rider at the start once so technically he is not undefeated.

Todd Pletcher has Fact Finding (#6) in the race, may end up one of his usual multiple entries in the KD if this Horse can compete in Graded Stakes races.

I'm laying win and show money on a Graham Motion horse, Irish War Cry (#5). This horse has a lot to learn but seems to have that attitude I like to see in a race horse.

It looks like not much of a race, just a couple of front runners along with #3, #5 may get a good run at them if the pace gets too hot. If it goes at a gallop in the beginning the #3 will be tough to catch.

Good Luck to all!

Doug
Old 02-08-2017, 09:10 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Triple Crown 2017

Sorry, I forgot that the protocols were holding up resumption of this thread. I don't have enough racing background to add anything cogent.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:54 AM
SS/Veteran

I haven't paid much attention yet, but I will start soon. One thought that sticks out at the moment is that I haven't seen a wow horse yet, not in any of last year's juvenile races, and not in any of the preps yet. The best-looking 3-year-old I've seen so far is Unique Bella, but she's a filly, and it appears that she will be pointed to the Kentucky Oaks, rather than the Derby. It could end up being a somewhat chaotic year for the boys.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:59 AM
SS/Veteran

Don't worry about the boys. Sorting it all out is a big part of the sport and that might be what makes it fun.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Pletcher scratched his horse, obviously knew he was up against better horses?

Classic Empire was lolligagging in the gate, Irish War Cry took the lead and was gone, still a handful in the stretch but a good job overall.

My odds of 15-1 morning line got crushed without Pletcher's horse in there but a win is a win ����.

We have only had a few wins so far in the preps by horses who were not odds on. Not exciting at all, rather see these young horses tested now instead of galloping easily over eventual non contenders.

The one thing I really hate about this new qualifying system is you have eliminated any Filly ever running for the Roses ��

Doug
Old 02-18-2017, 06:50 PM
SS/Veteran

I'm pretty sure none of these horses running today @ Golden Gate (El Camino Derby) will end up running in the Kentucky Derby but I have a liking for the #4 Tribal Storm. It will be tough to beat the Doug O'Neill and Jerry Hollendorfer entries but at 11 to 1 I think the #4 is a good wager.

Doug
Old 02-19-2017, 12:05 PM
SS/Veteran

Let's take a look at each of the Triple Crown winners starting with the first, Sir Barton in 1919. You can view his DRF history and entire Past Performances chart @ http://www.drf.com/news/triple-crown-winners-sir-barton , once there click on the link [LIFETIME PAST PERFORMANCES: Sir Barton].

On a first note, there was no such thing as a Triple Crown then so it was not a big deal or celebrated as America's first TC winner.

Sir Barton looked like a plodder in his first 4 starts, all sprints at Aqueduct and Saratoga. He was sold and he again looked like a slow horse in his next start, again a sprint at Saratoga. His final race as a 2 YO was next, another sprint, this time at Belmont. The addition of blinkers helped and Sir Barton picked up Place money (finished second). He would run with blinkers from now on except his last race of his career.

His first start as a 3 year old was in the Kentucky Derby on a track that was rated heavy. He was never seriously challenged and went on 4 days later to easily win the Preakness Stakes (run @ 1 1/8 mile then). 10 days later he romped in the Withers Stakes and finished off with the Belmont Stakes win (run @ 1 3/8 mile then) 18 days later.

His Lifetime record: 31 Starts, 13 Wins, 6 Places, 5 Shows. Career earnings of $116,857. 13 times he ran coupled in the betting with a stablemate, I think it was Billy Kelly every time, Billy Kelly could only beat him 3 of those races. Billy Kelly also beat him 3 of the first 4 races as a 2 year old before the sale of Sir Barton to the owner of Billy Kelly.

Sir Barton only ran out of the money once in his career as a 3 and 4 year old. He was soundly beaten by Man o' War in a match race (Kenilworth Park Gold Cup) that took place on October 12, 1920 @ Kenilworth Park in Canada.

He was not rated highly as a stud and in the early 1930's actually stood (stud service) for the U.S. Remount Service (Army) for a couple of years. Colic took his life on October 30, 1937.

Doug
Old 02-19-2017, 02:02 PM
SS/Veteran

Actually, Billy Kelly faced Sir Barton 12 times and finished ahead of him 8 of those times including the including the first 3 (all sprints) and last 4 times (1 sprint) they raced each other. Billy Kelly was a gelding and was considered more of a sprinter, shorter route horse.

He was the victim of foul play when a sponge was stuffed in one of his nostrils after he had won 6 races in a row. Apparently he raced 3 times with that in his nose before it was discovered. His lifetime record was 69 Starts: 39 Wins, 14 Places, 7 Shows and career earnings of $99,782.

Also, Sir Barton was so good in the Spring of 1919 that he only faced 2 other Horses in the Belmont Stakes.

Finally, the starting gate had not been invented yet, the start of these races only had a tape stretched across the track as a barrier.

Doug

Last edited by Doug : 02-19-2017 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add final note
Old 03-04-2017, 12:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Looks like #4 El Areeb will get a paid workout today in the Gotham Stakes @ Aqueduct today. It would be a surprise if any horse seriously challenges him. So Conflated flies in from the West Coast with his regular pilot in the saddle. He has to overcome the long flight here and a large difference in weather, temperature.

The Fountain of Youth Stakes @ Gulfstream Park should be a great race with a large field of speed runners, a couple of pacers and some closers. If I had to bet on this race I would probably be looking at the #2 Gunnevera as he will have things set up much better for him today as compared to his last race (Holy Bull Stakes).

#8 Irish War Cry is in real deep today. His trainer (Graham Motion) will find out today exactly what he has in this good looking colt.

#6 Practical Joke makes his 3 year old debut after an impressive string of weekly workouts, should be in this at the end.

#7 Three Rules loves this race track with 5 wins and a place in 6 starts so if he pulls this off it would not be a shocker.

Doug
Old 03-05-2017, 06:23 PM
SS/Veteran

In 1930, Gallant Fox became the second horse to win the Triple Crown.

The high expectations of the Horse brought jockey Earl Sande out of retirement for the Horse's 3 year old campaign. Gallant Fox started by winning the Wood Memorial Stakes on April 26. That race was run at a distance of 1 mile 70 yards at Jamaica Race Course which was located in Queens.

The Preakness Stakes was run first this year on May 9 and Gallant Fox won it by 3/4 length. 8 days later he would easily beat 14 other horses in the Kentucky Derby and would only face 3 horses in another easy win at the Belmont Stakes three weeks later.

The starting gate was now being used at some tracks, this year it was used in the first 2 races, the Belmont still used the tape, standing start.

Gallant Fox would only lose once that year, Jim Dandy pulled off the upset at Saratoga in the Travers Stakes at odds of over 100-1 on a muddy track.

Gallant Fox had a Lifetime record of 17 starts, 11 Wins, 3 Places and 2 Shows winning $328,165.

Gallant Fox was very successful in the breeding shed (22 years) and his first crop of foals included Omaha, the next Horse to win the Triple crown (1935).

Doug
Old 03-25-2017, 07:12 PM
SS/Veteran

Forget about this years TC, Arrogate is the story. Another absolutely stunning victory today in the Dubai World Cup to become the all time leading money winner.

He blew the start, literally. Then easily ran down Gun Runner in the stretch from at least 20 lengths behind in a mirror racing style of Zenyatta. WOW !!!!!!!

Doug
Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 AM
SS/Veteran

And Arrogate got a 115 Beyer -- after spotting the field about 20 lengths. He's something else, all right.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Coinciding with the stripers starting to turn up on the hooks of many we have the final preps for the Kentucky Derby this week and next week.

The Florida Derby has produced 2 of the 4 winners since the new qualifying format was installed. If Gunnevera (#11) wins today it will be tough to deny him being the favorite as Horses that have won both the Fountain of Youth and the Florida Derby have taken the Kentucky Derby too.

I think the big thing against him today is the entry of several horses that really appear not to belong so Gunnevera will have to avoid getting stopped by one or more of them getting in his way when he tries to run them all down around the final turn and in the stretch.

State of Honor (#1) and Three Rules (#10) should battle for the lead to the first turn, Battalion Runner (#9) should be right on their tails, if these three horses turn this into a speed duel then Gunnevera will have the setup he needs, more likely #9 will stalk those 2 and may prove too much for the Favorite if the pace stays moderate.

Doug
Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

When is the Kentucky Derby and how do I bet it? Or am I not supposed to ask that. My New Orleans daughter handles the betting each year and we always enjoy it. Of course we are still googans at this stuff.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:43 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daignault View Post
When is the Kentucky Derby and how do I bet it? Or am I not supposed to ask that. My New Orleans daughter handles the betting each year and we always enjoy it. Of course we are still googans at this stuff.

The Derby is May 6, a week from tomorrow. It's always the first Saturday in May.

I haven't posted much about it because I've been busy, but also because the prep races this year didn't really provide any clarity: this seems to be as wide-open a group of 3-year-olds as I can remember. It could be a year for a completely chaotic result.

I'll start looking at it more closely over the weekend, and will post more stuff next week. Now, I gotta go home and get hammered -- it's been that kind of week.