Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-19-2003, 02:49 PM

I recently pulled this off of flyshop.com, flyfisherman magazine's on-line site.

December 15, 2003
Group Calls for Menhaden Conservation
National Coalition for Marine Conservation plan is backed by anglers and Conservationists

The National Coalition for Marine Conservation (NCMC) will go before the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission when it meets in New York this week and present a new plan to conserve menhaden, one of the most important prey fish on the east coast. Citing the diminished ecological role of menhaden caused by overfishing in Chesapeake Bay - in particular the threat it poses to the sustainability of the hard-won recovery of striped bass (rockfish) - NCMC will ask the Commission's Menhaden Management Board to begin immediately the process of amending the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic Menhaden.

"We believe, as do other fishing and conservation organizations along with thousands of anglers, that there is a danger to striped bass and other key predators if we continue to harvest menhaden the way we do," warns NCMC president Ken Hinman, who also serves as a member of the ASMFC's Menhaden Advisory Panel. "We are urging the Commission to amend its coast-wide management regulations to change the way we fish for menhaden, in a way that respects its role in the food chain, before an ecological crisis occurs."

The harvest of the small but nutritionally-rich menhaden, a stock found from Maine to Florida, has become more and more concentrated within Chesapeake Bay. Since 1997, 58% of the entire east coast catch (by weight; nearly 70% by numbers of fish) has been taken from waters of the Bay. Abundance of juvenile menhaden, fish less than 3 years of age that are of prime forage size, has been in decline since 1990.

Meanwhile, adult striped bass, whose diet historically has consisted of 70-80% young menhaden, are exhibiting signs of malnutrition, with many fish carrying only a fraction of the body weight typically found in healthy fish. Up to half the Bay's stripers are infected with mycobacteria, a chronic wasting disease that scientists believe is stress-related and could be linked to malnutrition and/or poor water quality. The disease, rare in wild fish, first appeared in 1997 and has been increasing in frequency and severity ever since. It now has been detected in the coastal population.

In fact, overfishing in the Chesapeake, which produces nearly half of each new generation of menhaden for the coastwide stock and up to 90% of migratory striped bass, endangers stripers and other predators (bluefish, weakfish, waterbirds) throughout their range. Anglers up and down the coast sacrificed for more than a decade to restore the once depleted rockfish. NCMC is coming to this week's meeting armed with strong support from anglers.

On Wednesday, NCMC will present the ASMFC board, which consists of representatives from every east coast state, with a petition signed by thousands of striped bass fishermen from New England to Florida who feel large-scale netting of menhaden in the Chesapeake must be curtailed. The petition was circulated as part of NCMC's "Save the Stripers" campaign, the grassroots portion of NCMC's effort to conserve menhaden. The campaign has also received wide support from numerous fishing clubs, tournaments, striped bass web sites, tackle shops and marinas. In addition, NCMC will be joined in New York by regional and national fishing and environmental groups also requesting action by ASMFC to protect and preserve menhaden's critical role as forage for a wide range of predators and as important filter feeders of bay and coastal waters.

NCMC is urging the interstate fisheries panel to begin at once amending the menhaden management plan to:

Make preservation of an adequate supply of menhaden as forage for predators and as a critical filter feeder of coastal waters, on both a coastwide and regional (e.g., Bay-wide) basis, the primary plan objective.
Incorporate the results of numerous independent studies that indicate a diminished role for menhaden in the ecosystem into the menhaden stock assessment.
Add a new definition of "ecosystem overfishing" that accounts for ecological linkages and includes biological reference points and triggers for management action.
Establish a conservative, precautionary total allowable catch that provides a suitable buffer against ecosystem overfishing, with appropriate measures to control the harvest of immature menhaden and disperse effort away from nursery areas, such as Chesapeake Bay.
"Anglers and conservationists have raised concerns about the menhaden situation for at least the last seven years. Meanwhile, the amount of menhaden that can be taken from Chesapeake Bay remains unregulated, as does the composition of the catch (size/age)," points out NCMC's Hinman. "We need to act now to prevent overfishing of menhaden, by implementing risk-adverse policies, at least until we have the answers to some increasingly disturbing questions - questions that won't go away until they are addressed in a well-defined, informed and comprehensive manner."

If the ASMFC responds, as it should, by setting into motion the plan amendment process in 2004, the public will have the opportunity, as it should, to review along with fishery managers the options for taking an ecosystem-based approach to managing the menhaden fishery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The National Coalition for Marine Conservation, celebrating 30 years in 2003, was founded by conservation-minded anglers. The NCMC is dedicated exclusively to conserving ocean fish and their environment. The organization was a major player in the return of striped bass. In 1977 NCMC held a workshop laying the groundwork for the Interstate Striped Bass Management Project; in 1980, organized a national conference that influenced adoption of the first Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan; and in 1984, lobbied successfully for the federal Striped Bass Conservation Act.
Since 1997 the conservation group has spearheaded efforts to incorporate predator/prey relationships into fisheries management; served on the National Ecosystems Principles Advisory Panel which submitted a Report to Congress calling for a change to ecosystem-based fishery management; in 2000, NCMC published its influential report, "Conservation in a Fish-Eat-Fish World."

I can assume BENTROD is totally against this, so there is no need for his comment. All others please sound off.

surf cowboy
Old 12-19-2003, 02:49 PM

I recently pulled this off of flyshop.com, flyfisherman magazine's on-line site.

December 15, 2003
Group Calls for Menhaden Conservation
National Coalition for Marine Conservation plan is backed by anglers and Conservationists

The National Coalition for Marine Conservation (NCMC) will go before the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission when it meets in New York this week and present a new plan to conserve menhaden, one of the most important prey fish on the east coast. Citing the diminished ecological role of menhaden caused by overfishing in Chesapeake Bay - in particular the threat it poses to the sustainability of the hard-won recovery of striped bass (rockfish) - NCMC will ask the Commission's Menhaden Management Board to begin immediately the process of amending the Interstate Fishery Management Plan for Atlantic Menhaden.

"We believe, as do other fishing and conservation organizations along with thousands of anglers, that there is a danger to striped bass and other key predators if we continue to harvest menhaden the way we do," warns NCMC president Ken Hinman, who also serves as a member of the ASMFC's Menhaden Advisory Panel. "We are urging the Commission to amend its coast-wide management regulations to change the way we fish for menhaden, in a way that respects its role in the food chain, before an ecological crisis occurs."

The harvest of the small but nutritionally-rich menhaden, a stock found from Maine to Florida, has become more and more concentrated within Chesapeake Bay. Since 1997, 58% of the entire east coast catch (by weight; nearly 70% by numbers of fish) has been taken from waters of the Bay. Abundance of juvenile menhaden, fish less than 3 years of age that are of prime forage size, has been in decline since 1990.

Meanwhile, adult striped bass, whose diet historically has consisted of 70-80% young menhaden, are exhibiting signs of malnutrition, with many fish carrying only a fraction of the body weight typically found in healthy fish. Up to half the Bay's stripers are infected with mycobacteria, a chronic wasting disease that scientists believe is stress-related and could be linked to malnutrition and/or poor water quality. The disease, rare in wild fish, first appeared in 1997 and has been increasing in frequency and severity ever since. It now has been detected in the coastal population.

In fact, overfishing in the Chesapeake, which produces nearly half of each new generation of menhaden for the coastwide stock and up to 90% of migratory striped bass, endangers stripers and other predators (bluefish, weakfish, waterbirds) throughout their range. Anglers up and down the coast sacrificed for more than a decade to restore the once depleted rockfish. NCMC is coming to this week's meeting armed with strong support from anglers.

On Wednesday, NCMC will present the ASMFC board, which consists of representatives from every east coast state, with a petition signed by thousands of striped bass fishermen from New England to Florida who feel large-scale netting of menhaden in the Chesapeake must be curtailed. The petition was circulated as part of NCMC's "Save the Stripers" campaign, the grassroots portion of NCMC's effort to conserve menhaden. The campaign has also received wide support from numerous fishing clubs, tournaments, striped bass web sites, tackle shops and marinas. In addition, NCMC will be joined in New York by regional and national fishing and environmental groups also requesting action by ASMFC to protect and preserve menhaden's critical role as forage for a wide range of predators and as important filter feeders of bay and coastal waters.

NCMC is urging the interstate fisheries panel to begin at once amending the menhaden management plan to:

Make preservation of an adequate supply of menhaden as forage for predators and as a critical filter feeder of coastal waters, on both a coastwide and regional (e.g., Bay-wide) basis, the primary plan objective.
Incorporate the results of numerous independent studies that indicate a diminished role for menhaden in the ecosystem into the menhaden stock assessment.
Add a new definition of "ecosystem overfishing" that accounts for ecological linkages and includes biological reference points and triggers for management action.
Establish a conservative, precautionary total allowable catch that provides a suitable buffer against ecosystem overfishing, with appropriate measures to control the harvest of immature menhaden and disperse effort away from nursery areas, such as Chesapeake Bay.
"Anglers and conservationists have raised concerns about the menhaden situation for at least the last seven years. Meanwhile, the amount of menhaden that can be taken from Chesapeake Bay remains unregulated, as does the composition of the catch (size/age)," points out NCMC's Hinman. "We need to act now to prevent overfishing of menhaden, by implementing risk-adverse policies, at least until we have the answers to some increasingly disturbing questions - questions that won't go away until they are addressed in a well-defined, informed and comprehensive manner."

If the ASMFC responds, as it should, by setting into motion the plan amendment process in 2004, the public will have the opportunity, as it should, to review along with fishery managers the options for taking an ecosystem-based approach to managing the menhaden fishery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The National Coalition for Marine Conservation, celebrating 30 years in 2003, was founded by conservation-minded anglers. The NCMC is dedicated exclusively to conserving ocean fish and their environment. The organization was a major player in the return of striped bass. In 1977 NCMC held a workshop laying the groundwork for the Interstate Striped Bass Management Project; in 1980, organized a national conference that influenced adoption of the first Striped Bass Fishery Management Plan; and in 1984, lobbied successfully for the federal Striped Bass Conservation Act.
Since 1997 the conservation group has spearheaded efforts to incorporate predator/prey relationships into fisheries management; served on the National Ecosystems Principles Advisory Panel which submitted a Report to Congress calling for a change to ecosystem-based fishery management; in 2000, NCMC published its influential report, "Conservation in a Fish-Eat-Fish World."

I can assume BENTROD is totally against this, so there is no need for his comment. All others please sound off.

surf cowboy
Old 12-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

mr cowboy, before you discuss any type of bunker fishing with me maybee first you need to know where s.f stands on this.i am moreinterested on knowing what the person thinks not the organization, ,,, with all them degrees im sure your capable of coming up with YOUR OWN VIEWS,,, but maybee not

BENTROD
Old 12-19-2003, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

when any type of management is based on the science , and the stocks of any fisherie, im all for it.. and you"ll find many , many, comms feel the same way.
BUT when the petitions rule nmfs because of public beleifs thats how the proscess gets weak.. nmfs is becoming weaker all the time because of the direction of the ignorant rec.
let the science talk. an open eez would be a great boost for nmfs to get back on track

BENTROD
Old 12-19-2003, 03:48 PM

I think my post made it abundantly clear that I'm through discussing ecology with you. I posted this as news-worthy information, not for you to get your panties in a bunch.

surf cowboy
Old 12-19-2003, 04:46 PM
SS/Veteran

Good afternoon Mr Cowboy I must say you come up with some great post! Where do you get them from ?

Right off the bat I would like to ask you a question.In your post it says that stripers eat lots of these small bunker. true/false

If the estuaries keep getting destroyed then how in God's green earth will Fry (small fish),Be able to grow to the next level.This is where it all starts!true/false
Why do we keep ignoring this fact.We need to make sanctuaries in the sounds not in the oceans.When I used to work in the back bays,I used to see hundreds of Jet skis zooming through the Meadows.POLLUTING/Destroying habitat by the second.Yet nobody says A thing about that.Why why why
Nobody wants to fight a billion dollar industry because too many people have so much fun destroying the marsh's.
So instead of addressing the real problem we go down the line.WHO IS THE NEXT WEAKEST LINK?? Humm???????? I got it the commercial guys!!!!(Hell they get blamed for everything).
Guys serious when is the last time ya saw a striper that was starving/emaciated? Surf Cowboy I don't know how long you have been following fishing politics.But this is almost like when they changed the name of the birds.(Pipping clover/Red Knot)
I said it yesterday and I'll say it tomorrow,I/We are all for conservation we need it.I have a hard time digesting and trusting biased stats from scientist that are being paid by our opposition.

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
OTTENS HARBOR GILLNETTERS ASSOCIATION ><>XXX

[This message was edited by Fish Picker on 12-19-03 at 04:59 PM.]
Old 12-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

ALL THE N.J RECS that sign these petitions and have so many great thoughts on wanting to push the bunker fleet out of the chesapeke---- REMEMBER 1 THING---- when you kick the reduction boats out of their fishing grounds where they been doing it forever-- where do you think these boats will go.. just dissapear???? no way n.j recs -- THERE COMING TO YOUR BACKYARD RECS.... thats right kick em out of the chesapeke sounds so sweet doesnt it. well i can see that day coming soon, and watch THE CRYING FROM ALL THE N.J RECS WHEN THE REDUCTION FLEET IS POUNDING N,J WATERS.. YOU WANT TO SEE SOME BOATS WIPING OUT THE BUNKER STOCKS OFF OUR COASTS-- KICK EM OUT OF THE CHESAPEKE AND SEE WHERE THEY GO

BENTROD
Old 12-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

HEY COYBOY--- s.f realy has it figured out

BENTROD
Old 12-19-2003, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

this is going to be fun. fighting over little 100 box pods of bunker off n.j, zig zagging between the reduction fleet

BENTROD
Old 12-19-2003, 06:42 PM

Bentrod, reduction boats are banned from NJ waters already.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:35 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

Hey fish picher..

I caught a starving Bass 12/10/03.

Let's be reallistic, the oceans can't support commercial fishing in it's present form.

These guys have wiped out every edible, and non edible species from the face of the Earth.

What more proof do you want?

What are your grandchildren going to eat?

In seven years...US population ...300,000,000, not counting illegals

World population...zillions...what are they going to eat?

Anybody out there..Hello...

Humans are the scourge of the Earth...bring back the dinosaurs. Naw..cockroaches will take over..thank you.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Mr CatchnRelease I understand that the world is growing.
1,why are we ignoring the fact that the sounds "the breeding grounds" are slowly being destroyed.

2,Why does everyone point the finger at the commercial guys first?I have yet to hear anybody volunteer to put down there rods and lures.I can't help but wonder what the harvest ratio is across the board.I bet that its close to 50/50 across the board.I'm gonna try and find those stats.
My point is this.Two user groups one is not better then the other,So why is one being forced into an all time low stock status.Just something to think about!!!!!!

PS the name is FISHPICKER no need to start off whit a insult,Thank you

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
Old 12-19-2003, 08:56 PM
SS/Veteran

Mr CatchnRelease I understand that the world is growing.
1,why are we ignoring the fact that the sounds "the breeding grounds" are slowly being destroyed.

2,Why does everyone point the finger at the commercial guys first?I have yet to hear anybody volunteer to put down there rods and lures.I can't help but wonder what the harvest ratio is across the board.I bet that its close to 50/50 across the board.I'm gonna try and find those stats.
My point is this.Two user groups one is not better then the other,So why is one being forced into an all time low stock status.Just something to think about!!!!!!

PS the name is FISHPICKER no need to start off with a insult,Thank you

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
Old 12-19-2003, 09:52 PM

It's funny the ways things connect -

Fish picker's comment about the coastal breeding and nursery grounds are right on. Fish don't come from nowhere. (Incidentally, that argument goes a different way for groundfish - since the nursery grounds are offshore and likewise need protection.)

Even so, you can't expect that increasingly efficient commercial harvest doesn't have an effect.

You want to really save the menhaden? Stop eating chicken and buy eggs from vegetarian fed hens. Fish meal is the market - and we're not the ones who are eating it - at least not the first time around. This is not a traditional fishery to serve the needs of coastal communties. It's to feed poultry for your chicken McNuggets. But how many recreational fishing groups will support vegetarianism?
Old 12-19-2003, 09:59 PM
SS/Veteran

A fact that isn't being mentioned These reduction boats have been doing this since the beginning of time.The last few year the schools have been spreed out thus you see more fish in a bigger area instead of one huge ball.
I will stand by on two facts I myself have never seen a striper starving.
The sounds need to be protected!

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA