Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 12-21-2003, 01:28 PM
SS/Veteran

Dan from NJ Bunker like all fish have tails and they have no boundaries. (I'm not trying to be a wise guy) As far as the reduction fleet is concerned I'm far from an expert.I do know that they were up here for a short time this past summer.I'm not sure why they left??????
Dan My thoughts are this, If we (all of us/you and I)are so concerned about the stocks.Then why is anybody allowed to harvest these fish????????Politics true or false.The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
The biggest thing that I don't get is.Why is there a commercial harvest in States above and below NJ. Bass have tails and they swim up and down the coast don't they?Why is NJ different?????????
I'm not saying I right or wrong this is just something to think about.

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
OTTENS HARBOR GILLNETTERS ASSOCIATION ><>XXX
Old 12-21-2003, 02:06 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

Hello..

My name is commercial and all I want is to be left alone to do my thing...

NJ recs kill too many fish...T. Foote you are out of tune ...

Comms kill everything...

But I must agree, if the comms and recs in the Chessie...comms in the Carolinas (high grading) people suck, and Mass comms and recs kill their share...

Anyway, NJ recs kill too many Stripers...get it T. Foote and RFA and other savers of fish( Joke)

I propose that all rules be abolished, and when the remaining miserable fish stocks became non existent...there will be a lot of boats for sale, both recs and comms...

Who the hell is kidding whom?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:46 PM

You are right. NJ Recs Kill way too many striped bass. There is a certian level of hypocrasy a foot,the mentioned organizations support and preserve striped bass gamefish status yet insist they be managed like a food fish...Maximum sustainable yield and hell with a trophy fishery and creating an better age structure to the population. I would be all for making striped bass a sport fish meaning catch an release only. I would still fish every bit as often. i keep striped bass for the dinner table from time to time but thats the the primary reason I fish and I would not miss it at all if it meant better fishing.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:23 PM

Boiled Fish: The Delaware River Keeper Network will present a report addressing fish kills caused by the Salem Nuclear Generating Station at a meeting today at 2:30 pm at Congress Hall Hotel,251 Beach drive Cape May.The group claims the Salem plant kills over three Billion fish a year by discharging hot water in the Delaware River. River Keeper claims the plant has been allowed by the Department of Enviromental Protection to replace dead fish rather then upgrade the plants cooling system....

I'd say that was a quiet posting of a important meeting!

Who's fish are they killing, Rec's or Comms or both ?

Are we really the ones responsible for overfishing ?

I never was boarded on my boat and asked to check my holding tank for sewage until the shore towns MUA plants got their sewage problem in some order. They kill alot of fry in the back creeks also dumping chemicals to cover raw sewage they had to let out during the summer evenings while we slept.

We're just shields for the big killers and we're playing the part well.We let the big guns off the hook to easy. Their my fish , No their my fish. You killed them all , No you did...

Sure sounds to me like their the Power Plants, he can kill as many as he want's. Probably replacing them with fresh water trout in some politicians favorite fishing hole in the mid west. Foul Set
Old 12-21-2003, 04:38 PM
SS/Veteran

The great one has spoken!!!!!!!!

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
Old 12-21-2003, 08:14 PM

My point to Boiled Fish is that when i am over the trip limit. which is written with zero tolerance.Meaning that if i am over 1lb or more i am in violation and subject to fine and permit sanctions. I do believe in conservation and rebuilding fish stocks but who is perfect. If the Power Plant can kill Billions of pounds of fish and buy their way out of it. Why can't Comms have a tolerance of error. If i am allowed 5000 lbs of fish and i go over by a certain percent i only get paid for 5000 lb. enforcement get the momney for the rest and the weight goes against the quota.Still stay with in TALF.No harm done.Except the the $ 3000 - $ 5000 fine enforcement imposes on me. Not a bad business for enforcements slush fund ( Raises and Retirement accounts ). So who cares... to make it all work with zero tolerance is a *****. Try being late for work one day and get on the highway and get their on time knowing that for every mile an hour over the speed limit cost you your a $ 1000 but if your late you lose your job.Big business gets a free pass.Now enforcement is big business.....Foul Set
Old 12-21-2003, 08:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Not only are the power plants boiling fish,They are also putting them in special sauces.Salem's house dressing for the billions of fish fried is pesticides(PCB'S) hummm.
If a bunch of "dumb watermen" can figure this out,then why can't the DEP????? Answer $$$$$$$$ politics.I think that is sad that greed is more important then the future.
Come back

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
Old 12-21-2003, 08:42 PM

FP when your electric bill goes up it means that they are killing more fish and they have to pay more politicians off. P{lus buy more propaganda to blame it on the Recs and Comms.
Foul Set
Old 12-21-2003, 09:02 PM
SS/Veteran

This topic came up at a few state crab meetings.I was amazed how fast they put the damper on the PCB's.The one guy almost got kicked out because he kept asking the right questions.The DEP just kept stuttering like john aa aaa aa aaaa aaaaaa.that was the same meeting that the birds name got changed.This is all legal and that is sad.If the general public saw this in person I bet they would be outraged.come back.

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
Old 12-22-2003, 04:41 PM

Well, well. Discussion starts off with a proposed regulation on the harvest of Fatback and turns into a another mud sling between rec's and comm's. Ain't this grand.
First of all, nobody can point the finger at the next. Why do you think there is a comm. industry anyway? US!! People like you and me wanting to have a meal for a value. And we are not talking just fish here. Just asking questions, don't anyone get upset, now. Cowboy, got any kids? Ever bought them a pack of chicken nugget from Mc Donalds or Wendy's? What do you think they fed them chickens? pelletized fish meal, that's what.
We are all to blame for the horrifying truth about or natural rescources being exterminated from the face of the earth. We are humans. That is what we do. I agree with the comm. guys about conserving the sounds, back creeks and wetlands. These are the places that make it possible for us to catch striper from the surf. The beginning of it all. DO everything you can to keep those crazy jet skiers and water skiers out of the creeks and marshes. Tote a couple extra flares with you and blast one across their bow. Naw, not a good idea. My luck, I would set the marsh on fire.
Believe me. Rec's are killing fish not only on your shores, but mine as well. I'm an OBX finatic and it boils my guts to see a group of &%$#'s celebrating each caught fish like they scored the winning super bowl touch down. I was there the first week of this month and I got fed up with it all. South Point, Oregon Inlet, OBX. 1000 yard slough, 200 fisherman. Stripers blasting through the bar opening at the fall of high tide gobbling up everthing. I'm gonna tell ya, You NJ guys are tough. No howdy's or pardon me's, just, "this is my world, get the heck out of my way." I fought with you guys for four days. I caught four to five fish each tide, released all of them, ALIVE and well. They never left the water, never put my hand on them. I was in the water with them up to my knees or waist and snapped the circle hook from their lips with my needle nose. They swam away as casually as I brought them in. May take a little more effort, but they live. Ohh, I did carry my limit home almost everyday. Few nice ones, too. How, you might ask. I would take the dying ones that would wash in the surf left by the New Jersey football team down the beach from me. Oh, and please keep the braided lines at home when fishing crowded sloughs. I lost a 30+ pounder because some side casting Delaware boy wanted to sling razor wire.
Mighty Mouse, when it comes to catch and release, gotta have some common sense. Don't drag them on the beach, raking sand over their gills, and hoist them up by the gill plate and bellies puffing your cigar in their face. Snap off a half dozen photos and chunk'em back in the surf like slingin' a hay bail. Not that the cigar does much, but show and ignorant glote and his buddies acting like a batch of silly school girls.
Rec's kill'em and comm's kill'em. We all kill'em, just use the freaking brain God gave you. Regulate the things that need them. Educate the public (not just fisherman), track the improvements anually, update regs. and keep on fishin'.
Key word, Management. Your not going to stop commercial fisherman and your not going to stop recreationals. Thank the Lord above that you have the opportunity and the means to do something about it all.

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:58 PM
SS/Veteran

"Key word, Management. Your not going to stop commercial fisherman and your not going to stop recreationals. Thank the Lord above that you have the opportunity and the means to do something about it all."

Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.
Posts: 2 | From: Martinsville, VA, USA | Registered: 11-07-03

well said Tuck,I think that time to time we should all remember this.

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
Old 12-22-2003, 05:02 PM

Well said, Tuck. You live near the speedway?

Mmmmm... turkey
Old 12-22-2003, 05:56 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

Hey Tuck..I think I have been saying much of what you state almost everyday...

One point, I completely disagree with you: "you are not going to stop comms or recs from fishing".

Nonsense tuck, comms and recs stop themselves,( after taking every species to the brink) look around worldwide, what do you see?

Of course comms can do it overnight, if allowed to...
Old 12-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

mr catch and kill < i mean release> , please dont flatter yourself and take away from the good of tucks post. my impression is you have very different views. ive only read 2 of tucks so far but i read MANY of yours

BENTROD
Old 12-22-2003, 06:04 PM

Tuck,

Your post makes MUCH TOO MUCH SENSE!!

Keep posting the truth and you will not be welcome here very long. RY