Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:46 PM
SS/Platinum

quote:
Originally posted by CATCHnRELEASE:
Hey Picker..do you think that the want of the rest of the word's fleet of a piece of what's left on the East Coast....tells you anything?

I think, Picker, the rest of the Oceans are DEAD, or dying, and the comms of the world only have the rest of East Coast to finish off...

Sorry Picker, you seem like a sensible guy, but I see THE DEAD SEAS IN FRONT OF ME AND MY OFFSPRING.

You see the "Dead seas in front of you and your offspring"?
Please go get your eyes checked. I see more fish now than I have in the past 20 years, what do you see? propaganda BS from PETA, or Pew charitable trust?

HocusPocus
Old 01-03-2004, 09:49 PM

CnR got skunked last time out so the oceans must be empty.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:05 PM
CATCHnRELEASE

What world do you guys live in?

Do you know what is going on?

What a stupid question...eh...
Old 01-04-2004, 08:54 PM

STop all comercial fishing!!! no one needs fresh fish that bad iff u want it so much go out and catch it commercial kills us
Old 01-04-2004, 09:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Jake321 With your plan will there be a bait fisheries so your team can go fishing ? Or are REC'S gonna have to use fly's and plugs ? Lets keep it fair . How about the poor folk that live far far away from the SEA ? Who will catch there fish ? How about seafood restaurants ? oops you'll fill there cooler on the weekends . {Extra cash hummm!!!!!!}
The list just keep rolling !
If you took the time to read the laws and Reg's that we MUST to abide by . Then you would see , that we have been all but shut down .

Fish Picker
Director,OHGNA
OTTENS HARBOR GILLNETTERS ASSOCIATION ><>XXX<><
Old 01-04-2004, 11:53 PM

You'd think they'd leave the bunker alone and use some of that hog and cow **** keeps running into the river polluting everything from the evaporation ponds
Old 01-05-2004, 06:22 AM
SS/Platinum

quote:
Originally posted by Jake321:
STop all comercial fishing!!! no one needs fresh fish that bad iff u want it so much go out and catch it commercial kills us

Date of Birth: 02-10-89

Well I see that you have been brainwashed at a very tender age.

HocusPocus
Old 01-05-2004, 07:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CATCHnRELEASE:
I think, Picker, the rest of the Oceans are DEAD, or dying, and the comms of the world only have the rest of East Coast to finish off...

Sorry Picker, you seem like a sensible guy, but I see THE DEAD SEAS IN FRONT OF ME AND MY OFFSPRING.

The seas are dead so commercials should stop. But not dead enough that it can't absorb the 8 to 12 % mortality rate that you holier-than-thou C & R guys inflict upon it. Is that what your saying CnR? If you're THAT concerned take the hooks off of your plugs or better yet leave your plugs in the garage. Have ya tried golf? RY
Old 01-05-2004, 07:58 AM

I realize that most Comercial Fishermen who fish in the US waters have strict limits for both gear and quanities. But what about the limits on the quanties of Menhaden that are taken. The reduction fleet can take as much as they can catch and they are very effective.

Digger
Old 01-05-2004, 09:52 AM

bentrod and fishpicker,under your names is the word,moderater.i take that to mean you are supposed to moderate these posts.it seems to me that you both lean heavily towards the comm side of this issue.there will always be extremists on both sidesof an issue.while our two groups(recs and comms)are duking it out,the extreme animal rights groups(pete,et.al.)are lurking in the shadows.their agenda is to stop fishing all together!they are who we should be
fightingout two groups will eventually compromise and learn to co-exist,but peta and such will not!you talk about brainwashed,those people are the classic..inmates running the asylum!
sorry abut going off the subject.will try to stick to subject from now on.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Administrator

You can get, anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant.

Old 01-05-2004, 11:28 AM

A couple of years ago, there was a very good article in the Sunday Times magazine entitled something like A Tale of Two Cities (Fleets? Industries?). It compared commercial fishing in an Australian town with that in a New England town. I think it may have been just lobstermen, but may have been comm fishing in general.

Evidently the Aussies limit the number of commercial licenses, much like taxi medallions in NYC. The result: not everyone can go into the biz, but those who are in it live well. Nice houses, don't have to go too far out or hoist as many lobster pots to get a catch.

The New England fishermen, on the other hand, were at sea longer because they had to go much further out to find lobsters - they had decimated all stocks closer to shore. They mostly had back problems because they had to hoist so many pots.

There is a historical term that applies: the Tragedy of the Commons. Basically, a shared resource with no restrictions gets destroyed by over use, causing the poverty of those who depend on it.

I understand the Chilean sea bass population is being wiped out because the regs which are in fact in place are not enforced by the Chlilean government. That is one fish I do not order in restaurants - I don;t like to contribute to the poverty of those who are fishing themselves out of a livelihood.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:30 AM

BTW, I suppose the Australian lobsters/fish are fresher, too. Haven't been at sea for days.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Digger:
I realize that most Comercial Fishermen who fish in the US waters have strict limits for both gear and quanities. But what about the limits on the quanties of Menhaden that are taken. The reduction fleet can take as much as they can catch and they are very effective.

Digger

Well yes and no. There aren’t any TACs for menhaden at present. But if the fishery (and I’m including Pound net, Bait, and reduction fishing here) goes above a threshold mortality, or the SSB goes below a certain point…then managers will have set up restrictions. It isn’t exactly a free-for all. If the fishery takes too many fish, then they will be overfishing, and the stock will have to be rebuilt.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:19 PM

MDC (or any one else) well then who determines the population for Menhaden and what goes into the calculation for the threshold mortality. Do they include the take by other users (fish?) Do they include the other purposes that Menhaden do such as clean out algea etc.

Digger