Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 04-11-2005, 10:42 PM
SS/Veteran

quote:
Originally posted by StriperKnight:
Only 56 votes with 1121 views.
I figured more people would vote on this hot topic.
39 percent say it;'s a problem , 61 percent said it;'s not a problem ,
Good forum Jess, wise move !
Old 04-11-2005, 10:52 PM

Let's just say it SHOULDN"T be a problem but the human race is a competitive bunch and the
"its MY spot" mentality will always come to play.

Can't we just go out and catch some freekin' bass?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:15 PM
SS/Veteran

quote:
Originally posted by HeaverRob:
Let's just say it SHOULDN"T be a problem but the human race is a competitive bunch and the
"its MY spot" mentality will always come to play.

Can't we just go out and catch some freekin' bass?
Sure: Tell me where I can hook a nice 50 lb striper, I promise I won't tell a soul ?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:40 AM

It's definitely a problem in my opinion. Bunch of JO's on cell phones and walkie talkies while fish are bustin all over the place. Guys running down the beach and casting as they run, IT'S A JOKE. Half hour later there's 200 guys on the beach and guess what everybody is catching - NOTHING! Same thing happens when you post it, except it's typically the next day. If people were respectful and skillful it's one thing, but thats not the way it goes around here. I love fishing and I love watching a new fisherman catch some fish....but you'll never see me post a specific spot. I earn my stripes.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:38 PM
SS/Veteran

I think there needs to be some clarification here:
{NOTE: One need pay NOTHING to be a site member!}
The Main forums may be read by anyone.
The regional forums are for people whom have "joined". This means getting a handle and going through the steps to join.
The Insider forum is for people whom have paid the entrance fee to get\and share PREMIUM info.
The Platinum forum is for people whom have made a donation to the site,above and beyond the Insider forum, so as to defer some of the cost of running the site, from Bob.

So, if you wish to post highly detailed info, do so in a forum where one must be a member to gain that info.

Keep the following in mind:
This is not a public radio station. Bob does not come and solicit funds from people on a quarterly basis. To host and maintain this site costs $$$. Most of which comes from Bob's pocket!!! So it's only fair that detailed reports be kept as privilages to and for Members.
I think, had Guppie origionally put her report up in the New Jersey forum, this episode would have been avoided.

I spoke with Guppie on Mon. She was not aware that any non-member, surfing the web, could read her report in the main forum. I feel very bad for her. She was not aware how gaurded some spots are, by some members here, in most cases due to spacial limitations in the reported areas, and rightfully so! She does her thing. She's at a point as an angler, that fishing is more than catching fish alone. She loves people and sharing the experience with them. She takes great pride in helping neophytes to striper fishing be successful. She is a valuable friend, and cares about the people fishing around her, and there expierience.

We wouldn't have half the problems we do if when anglers looked at fellow anglers coming their way, they treated the approaching angler the same way they would treat the angler in the mirror!!!

Old 04-12-2005, 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BrettB:
It's definitely a problem in my opinion. Bunch of JO's on cell phones and walkie talkies while fish are bustin all over the place. Guys running down the beach and casting as they run, IT'S A JOKE. Half hour later there's 200 guys on the beach and guess what everybody is catching - NOTHING! Same thing happens when you post it, except it's typically the next day. If people were respectful and skillful it's one thing, but thats not the way it goes around here. I love fishing and I love watching a new fisherman catch some fish....but you'll never see me post a specific spot. I earn my stripes.

I hear what your sayin about people running down the beach chasing fish.
I on the other hand sit in one spot one pole out with bunker chunks and another rod with a popper sitting on the side. While these people are chasing fish down the beach I can sit and catch 10 nice sized blues and bass with little effort. Let em get their exercise. sometimes it's all technique.

I don't hear what your sayin about there being too many people on the beach with cell phones ect. It's america, if the fishing is hot and they want to call a friend thats their freedom, to fish with their friends. As long as they dont come by and push me out of my spot which they wont......... cause I use a sand-spike, I could care less. I for one like reading Guppies Reports, and submitting reports to her.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:03 PM

Not a problem... unless you post MY spots!

[mine all mine hee hee hee NO you can't have them get away hee hee mine mine all mine ahhahahahahahahahahahahaha]

Old 04-12-2005, 09:44 PM

seen many a spot ruined by spotburning, if ya keep it up they'll be no more spots to burn.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:11 AM
Togalicious Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by gottog:

Posting specific locations in the Insider section is fine with me. On the regular boards I don't agree with it but figure it would/should be Bob's decision as to what the "rule" is

Ask and ye shall receive...in a roundabout way.

quote:
Originally posted by Bob D'Amico:
It has been the longstanding policy of this web site to allow any member to post any fishing information he or she wishes. That has been policy since 1998 and is not changing.

• If anyone feels that this is innappropriate they do not have to read it.
  • If anyone decides that they are the "Spot Police" or a few guys declare themselves the "Spot Vigilantes" they are welcome to withdraw from this Message Board System.
  • Anyone may post any fishing information or report they want. BS or actual.
  • Individuals who want to "argue" about fishing reports/info need to leave.
  • Individuals who want to attack the site owner (me), the Moderators and/or other members need to leave before they get banned.
  • If you do not understand any of the above please review the Users Guide and the Terms of Service.[/list]

Funny how you just mention Spot Wars and they erupt.

Scoob, now you know why I didn't edit anything.

There be the rules, so play along.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:14 AM
SS/Veteran

Fish at night in backwater areas in the early summer. If you can handle 1000's of mosquitos, you can join me!

I know the pain involved with fishing "my" spots, at the times I do. A fellow angler gets all my respect if they're there during prime time, when I'm fishin' hard.

Hell, after 24hrs. with no one to talk to, you start answering yourself. Me to myself "Why the hell are we here"? Myself to me "Because big big fishies swim here, and they swim close, and like flies that look like eels"! Me to myself "O.k. you better be right"!!!

So, who wants to fish with me?
Old 04-13-2005, 07:16 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

Man Hank!
I have fished with you,and all those times I thought you were talking to me...Now ya got me wondering....
Old 04-13-2005, 08:14 AM

Gottog,
Why are you posting site rules? Somebody asks a question regarding the readers opinions and you don't agree with the answer and all of a sudden they are wrong. I know people will post specific spots and those spots will get burned, it happens every year. Personally, I don't think it's right, but that's my opinion. I know the sites rule because specific spots are always posted.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:12 AM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

BrettB,
I think Gottog posted the rules,linked from Bob D,because many people might have forgotten they are there.People might disagree with his thoughts on it,but it IS his sandbox.If he wants to allow posting spots,it is allowed,and people who feel this is wrong are free to leave if they choose.There is no one holding a gun to someones head to read the forums.They do it for the same reasons we all do,get some insight on what is happening,and hopefully for the ones doing some travelling,find out if anything is around.I personally dont think ANY spot in NJ can be burned anymore.Sure,if a blitz occurs,you can be sure there will be many others the next day hoping for it to happen again.Most times,it doesnt.Everyone,mostly the ones who look for the fishing reports forget they are history.Fish were there yesterday,and maybe an hour ago,but if you arent there when the are,you lose.Even cell phones dont help much during a blitz,though they tend to crowd the beach sometimes.Pain in the ***?Sure,but if you enjoy fishing,and put the time in to find a productive SPOT,you will get aggrevated when a bunch of people show up the next day( I do),but when they realize the fish arent there at there specific time,they move along.I have found that if you fish a spot long enough,you find the little quirks that time,light,tide etc,provide.Someone who doesnt put the time in,and just relies on reports,loses.Just my opinin though...
Old 04-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Administrator

"Originally posted by Bob D'Amico"

the rules listed above are of the sites owner, not gottog, tog just listed them for everyones viewing..
Old 04-13-2005, 10:41 AM

This is a really interesting thread and got me to thinking.

How did everyone find "Their" spots.
I mean it seems like some of the people here feel that they found a spot that they have to their very selves. Personally, I have spots that I learned from my father, spots that I have found just by chance from wandering around, and spots that friends showed me. Basically all the spots I fish are no secret and I usually see multiple people in the vicinity, so I don't consider them "My" spots. Just spots I like to fish. communications has helped a lot of people to get into the sport and use their time more efficently, but there is still a thing called luck, being in the right place at the right time.
I cant wait for the weather to warm just a little bit more so I can go out exploring, looking for new areas to fish