Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > MAIN FORUM

MAIN FORUM We want You! - This is the place for general discussion of fishing for striped bass, bluefish, albies, weakfish, etc.

Old 02-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Allen

If anyone hasn't heard yet, Kennedy Space Center and the Mission Command in Houston has lost contact with the space shuttle Columbia on its re-entry this morning.. It was reported around 9 on all stations..

It seems that it might've "broke apart" on re-entry and the remnants were taped on their descent back to earth, in many, many pieces..

Very sad news

E-Mail:
Allen@stripersurf.com
Old 02-01-2003, 10:33 AM
Allen

If anyone hasn't heard yet, Kennedy Space Center and the Mission Command in Houston has lost contact with the space shuttle Columbia on its re-entry this morning.. It was reported around 9 on all stations..

It seems that it might've "broke apart" on re-entry and the remnants were taped on their descent back to earth, in many, many pieces..

Very sad news

E-Mail:
Allen@stripersurf.com
Old 02-01-2003, 12:38 PM
SS/Platinum
SS#0126

All the energy has been sapped out of me.....my shoulders are sunken, and my heart weighs heavy.....being an engineer, this hits me especially hard, thinking all the "What if's"....

My only wish is that the world keeps it's head, and dismisses any thought of the "terrorist" aspect of this, or else, we are all in big trouble......

"All I want for my birthday is ANOTHER birthday...."
Old 02-01-2003, 02:02 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

The only thing for us today is to say a simple prayer for the souls of the seven men and women and trust they did not suffer.

There are men and women who put their lives on the line every minute, of every hour and every day for our towns, cities, states and our country. We never really think of them until a great tragedy such as this occurs. I'm embarrassed to admit that I did not know that Columbia was returning from its mission this morning.

Bob
Email: bob.damico@stripersurf.com

Old 02-01-2003, 02:14 PM
SS/Veteran

May their families be comforted by the knowledge that these men and women passed on in the service not only of America, India, Israil; but of all man kind. Although the media doesn't cover it as much, the spirit of duty, hope, and bravery that NASA was built on in the 50's and 60's lives on. We should remember these brave souls in that light.

Roger Smith <x//////><
Old 02-01-2003, 03:04 PM

dear SS friends: I'm uplifted somewhat by the piognant messages of grief, especially SteveMA...I am completely distraught and can't deny that have to turn away from the TV screens right now. I am thankful that are heros are in a better place and I'm trying to rationalize the cost of despair...the despair of a nation, the despair of 300 kids waiting to greet their teacher on the ground...the despair of the nations of India and Israel...

I am overwhelmed now...thank you for your kind words, they are so meaningful...

peto veritas...peto vicissitudo
Old 02-01-2003, 04:57 PM
SS/Veteran

This saddens me so deeply. I remember the challenger 51L disaster like it was yesterday.I watched it unfold live that morning in jan 1986.I worked afternoons back then and space shuttle launches were still in their infancy and always watched on tv. Christa McAuliffe, a schoolteacher was the 1st civilian as i recall to have the opportunity to go into space.That made the tragedy especially heartbreaking.
Today brought back so many of those same emotions that had been buried deep in my subconcious. Like watching a close friend die all over again.
My prayers to the families & friends of these American Heroes. May they always be remembered in our hearts.

Old 02-01-2003, 05:12 PM

In the 17 years since Challenger, we've again grown blase about space travel, accepting it as routine, like flying from NY to LA. Like Bob, I'm embarrased too--not only didn't I realize it was scheduled to land, but I didn't even realize we had a Shuttle crew in orbit.

I rememeber the drama of the early Mercury flights, sitting in grammar school, a snowy black and white TV tuned into Cronkite, having the nuns lead us in prayer as the T-clock hit T-minus 1 minute. We knew then that those fellows crammed into that garbage can sized capsule were truly heroic. It's something all of us have lost sight of in recent years, and something I pray we never again forget
Old 02-01-2003, 09:21 PM

I am just so sorry for the families waiting for their loved ones to land.... It seems we have too many sorriful momments, its just bad....
Thanks for letting me vent

Smooth
Old 02-03-2003, 12:13 PM

it takes a different kind of person who goes on a mission knowing the odds.

The guys at NASA figure that they will have a major event every 75 flights, this as 2 in 130 flights that cost 14 lives.

It is too bad we get bored into thinking that Space flights are routine and need this had to happen to appreciate the Men and Women who have "the right stuff".