Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Policy Discussion ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
At least you must be alone Chris, as every angler in NJ will be at IBSP, except me.
I'd rather fish by myself and get skunked than participate in that [ethnicity redacted] fire drill up at IBSP. Sure, blitzes are fun, and seeing the birds diving, etc., is exciting, but I just don't like being around people that much, especially the mo-rons who seem to spring up out of the ground when that kind of thing happens. Pass.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:44 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
I'd rather fish by myself and get skunked than participate in that [ethnicity redacted] fire drill up at IBSP. Sure, blitzes are fun, and seeing the birds diving, etc., is exciting, but I just don't like being around people that much, especially the mo-rons who seem to spring up out of the ground when that kind of thing happens. Pass.
Not to digress too much, as I know Frank's solution is to fish only at night, though that itself can still bring a crowd. However, the upside of my past life was frequent, short trips, allowing me to step into the beginning of a blitz, prior to the crowds being onto it. Then one can walk away when the nuthouse begins.

as to Policy: Frank... don't get too discouraged or down on yourself, as this site is not the only one experiencing a downturn. A lot of activity has shifted to the social media platforms.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:37 PM
SS/Veteran

"Not to digress too much, as I know Frank's solution is to fish only at night."

C'mon, fishing at night in the striper surf is a given. Its not my solution other than to catch more fish. Cape or RI, we all came out at sunset. Sure, you could stretch a good night well past the dawn under the right circumstances. I didn't make the night rule; its a no-brainer.

Years ago, a new young faculty member right out of college, called me a liar for saying I spent the summer fishing on the Cape. Her proof? I had no tan.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:32 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
"Not to digress too much, as I know Frank's solution is to fish only at night."

C'mon, fishing at night in the striper surf is a given. Its not my solution other than to catch more fish. Cape or RI, we all came out at sunset. Sure, you could stretch a good night well past the dawn under the right circumstances. I didn't make the night rule; its a no-brainer.

Years ago, a new young faculty member right out of college, called me a liar for saying I spent the summer fishing on the Cape. Her proof? I had no tan.
Frank and fellows...- I never read the policy thread..jumped in on the end.... sorry for the long time not posting. I missed two years of fishing the surf due to a serious head injury and then a wrist injury when I was trying to get back into some sort of shape.... thus no casting.. The night rule... I'm doing it wrong... I start at 3 - 4 am and don't get a fish until false dawn... maybe I'm just fishing the wrong tides?? I DO NOT doubt you guys just I keep trying get some fish but just before dawn and sunset seem to be my times.. Gonna try this morning again... Love lurking and reading these threads - Thanks Frank...
Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 PM
SS/Veteran

if we are talking crowds and rudeness? Thats why I go at 3 am... nobody driving up to me and fishing in my pocket
Old 11-24-2016, 02:50 PM
SS/Veteran

I don't know why people cuddle like that. Maybe they lack confidence and hope to learn from the other guy. Maybe they are lonely. I have spent my life with my wife beside me in both fishing and hunting. Lately, as I mature with age, I have come to realize that I would not do anything if I didn't have her. In our 60 years together she has hunted and fished beside me all but about five years when she was having babies. Lordy, we were married five years before we figured out what was causin it.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:36 PM
SS/Veteran

Sweet! I wish the bride would come for a ride let alone fish... she hooked herself in the head snapper fishing... not a pretty sight.. u inspired me to try harder.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:49 AM
SS/Veteran

My reason for telling that story is that I have had companionship in the field for so long that I lost touch with the lonlyness that no doubt many in the field sometime experience. Looking back there was a period when I was retired and my wife was not and I still did a lot of things without her. I remember coming home from upstate NY with a so-so buck, hanging it in the garage and going to Charlestown in late November for a sellable load of bass and having snow dancing in my buggy headlights coming off the beach. So I have fished/hunted alone.

But there is a big difference in a person's performance ability between age 65 and 80. Oh, I can still shoot but I need help getting up from the gut pile. Similarly, I could never climb down jetty rocks to grab a cow today like I did when I was a young, robust 65.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:40 AM
SS/Veteran

All true - In theory....it is always good to share something good with the wife rather then be one of those guys escaping from the ball and chain.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Had I only fished at night I would have missed out on almost every fish over 25 lbs I've ever taken.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redando View Post
Had I only fished at night I would have missed out on almost every fish over 25 lbs I've ever taken.
Thanks for the advice, Redango. Think I will go to fishing in the daytime; sounds like a great idea. I never liked those guys on the Cape who fished at night anyway. They didn't know when to fish. Besides, fish can't see in the dark, so why would we fish for blind fish?
Old 11-27-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Thanks for the advice, Redango. Think I will go to fishing in the daytime; sounds like a great idea. I never liked those guys on the Cape who fished at night anyway. They didn't know when to fish. Besides, fish can't see in the dark, so why would we fish for blind fish?

I've read your books. Been awhile, but if my memory serves me the primary forage were sand eels. I did well plugging at night when there were sand eels around. never did well plugging at night when there were acres of bunker hugging the beaches. they would disappear at night. often saw them in the back at night, bur rarely if ever along the beaches. Just my experience.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:20 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Redando, you only have to talk to the regular NJ anglers in the fishing report section to know that you will catch 10-1 nighttime vs. daytime over the course of any season, with or without bunker. Not that Frank himself would know anything about that (dah).

Yes, there can and are daytime bunker sessions, lots of them. And when the migrating large are in, yes, that is an "easy" way to snag them. But your experience is anecdotal, not a rule.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Redando, you only have to talk to the regular NJ anglers in the fishing report section to know that you will catch 10-1 nighttime vs. daytime over the course of any season, with or without bunker. Not that Frank himself would know anything about that (dah).

Yes, there can and are daytime bunker sessions, lots of them. And when the migrating large are in, yes, that is an "easy" way to snag them. But your experience is anecdotal, not a rule.
I speak of NJ only. The vast majority of my fish over 25 lbs were caught during the day. Livelining, bunker or herring in spring, also a bunch on swimmers and pencils. Some during blitz, some blind casting where I thought they would be.I maybe had two fish over 25 lbs plugging the beach at night. Have caught a ton of fish on plugs at night, but mostly teen sized fish. I'm sorry but just because Frank was an expert at cape cod 40 years ago it does not necessarily translate to present day hundreds of miles from his home waters. Even he would tell you that I'm sure. Same applies to me....I have been out of the game for 8 years. Would never pretend to know as much as someone who's there all the time. Boarding a flight talk to you guys later.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:42 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redando View Post
I'm sorry but just because Frank was an expert at cape cod 40 years ago it does not necessarily translate to present day hundreds of miles from his home waters.
I don't know that I would put myself in this category -- I'm full of self-loathing -- but I don't know a single surfcaster I respect who does not think that the fishing is better at night. That's right: to a man, they all think the night is better. It's not just your opinion versus Frank's; it's yours against just about everyone's.

Does this mean that every individual night between March and December is better than every individual day during the same time span? No. Like you said, sometimes things happen during the day -- and blitzes, with the birds and all, are a good example -- that don't happen at night. But all other things being equal, nighttime is just about always better.

I will fish during the day, especially during the fall migration, if my choices are day fishing or no fishing (sometimes social obligations, i.e. having a life, get in the way of being able to fish at night). But given the choice between day fishing or night fishing, I'll go night 10 times out of 10.

I also chuckle at the loneliness thing -- as a loner, a real anti-social creep , I like being alone. The solitude is one of the reasons I do surfcasting, which is kind of a pain in the XXX to do right, especially if you live more than 30 minutes from the coast, and have a job and a wife and a kid and a mortgage and two dogs and all that. But dealing with all the hassles that come with it is a small price to pay when you experience something perfect, like a rising moon, or a good fish that you caught and released, and that you know nobody but you will ever know about. Some of youse guys may prefer that these moments be shared with someone, but I like 'em better when I'm alone.