Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Fan Zone

The Fan Zone Discuss Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer or whatever you think is a sport. NASCAR?

Old 05-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Talking Bonds Hits 714* Ties Ruth

If I was writing the news reports.

Bonds Hits 714* Ties Ruth

Barry Bonds hit his 714th Home Run on Saturday, May 20th versus the Oakland A's. Due to his declining health and withdrawal from daily body lotion applications it is doubtful if he will break Hank Aaron's record of 755 homers.

Giants manager Felipe Alou is probably praying that Bonds hits 715 as soon as possible so he can replace him with a player who understands the concept of "team," is willing to put out a little extra effort to catch fly balls in left field and will RUN to first base.

* Drug Enhanced

Old 05-22-2006, 08:05 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Bonds Hits 714* Ties Ruth

He makes me sick. The only positive out of this is that due to his awfulness as a human, anytime anyone brings up him in a conversation we wont need an asterick. We will always remember. Yech.

I feel the same about Sosa and McGuire, they are living asterick marks.

Long live Ruth, Maris, and Aaron.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck
He makes me sick. The only positive out of this is that due to his awfulness as a human, anytime anyone brings up him in a conversation we wont need an asterick. We will always remember. Yech.

I feel the same about Sosa and McGuire, they are living asterick marks.

Long live Ruth, Maris, and Aaron.

and Mantle He still holds the yankee record for number of inside the park home runs as well. The Mick burned the base paths when he started.

I've lost all respect for the 'roid generation. Even down to the high schoolers
who do it because of parental, peer and "career" pressures. Still no excuse.
Had a couple of kids (brothers) on a softball team that all of a sudden
bulked up one year, along with commenserate personality changes.
Made me sick to see what happened to them, all to try to get ahead
in collegiate sports... not worth it. Ask Lyle Alzado if it was worth it.. oh
yeah, you can't.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 AM

Bonds has to live with the scorn and discredit of millions of baseball fans, I wouldnt want that for the world.

I am surprised at the media sort of defending and promoting him (Espn's "being barry bonds" reality show).

I do think MLB and the players union share in a major part of this. It was ridiculous that nothing was done until last year. The players should want to protect themselves and the owners have got to want to protect the integrity of the game.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:50 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Pujols and Arod stay healthy and Bonds will be a less than meaningful statistic in 10-12 years in HR totals, like Sadaharu Oh's 868.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:21 AM

How the hell can you post DRUG ENHANCED when they have not proven a damned thing yet!! You guys crack me up with this stuff.

Ya ' know I have been around the juice for about 20 years in football alone. I can tell you this, it wasn't banned if and when he took it and you can bet your bottom dollar many other players shot up also ...even pitchers.
You better be prepared to post the same asterisk with Perry and Fingers>>>>>just to name a couple of admitted CHEATERS with the spitter....oh wait....that was illegal to doctor a ball right>>>>>??????Please man!!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:22 AM
SS/Veteran

uuhhhhh,,,
Bonds admitted it. And you dont and did not see Rollie getting world wide attention.
And when I used to say to my mom "but everyone's doing it" she would say to me; "if everyone jumped off a bridge would you do it?"

How can you give these guys a pass, and how naive to wait for proof. Google McGuire's Rookie picture. And Bonds too, but he already admitted it. Then google a current pix of McGuire. I guess he was retaining water.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:46 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cuz
How the hell can you post DRUG ENHANCED when they have not proven a damned thing yet!! You guys crack me up with this stuff.

Ya ' know I have been around the juice for about 20 years in football alone. I can tell you this, it wasn't banned if and when he took it and you can bet your bottom dollar many other players shot up also ...even pitchers.
You better be prepared to post the same asterisk with Perry and Fingers>>>>>just to name a couple of admitted CHEATERS with the spitter....oh wait....that was illegal to doctor a ball right>>>>>??????Please man!!
sorry, doctoring a ball and a bat is NOT in the same league as performance enhancing drugs. for the record, if you care to look it up, the spitter was actually legal in the early days of baseball, but by RULE, the UMPIRES are required to detect and enforce the spitter rule, or any doctored ball. And that's part of baseball, players trying to get over the umpires, the umpires catching them and ejecting them and/or reporting them to the commisioner etc. That's all part of the "GAME"... oh yeah, this is a game... sport/competition...albeit not a "pure" game for many many years now.

in one case, the action is illegal ONLY within the rules of baseball.

in the case of drugs, whether baseball had an explicit policy or tacitly accepted it, these drugs were obtained and used ILLEGALLY... that is, not under prescription for a diagnosed condition. ALL the trainers knew this, and the doctors.

you're wrong about BONDS, but I also include ALL the current crop of baseball players in the asterisks. Get off your rose colored glasses and admit that this is bad for ALL sports.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Cuz, I'm going to ask that we respectfully agree to disagree on this one.

These drugs are illegal because as we all know they are easily abused. They offer an unfair short term advantage while doing long term damage to the users as well as the integrity of the game. I wouldn't want my son using them, why then should I approve of other's doing it just because "everyone is doing it"?

I wish we could ask guys like Lyle Alzedo if it was really worth it but we can't cause the damn crap killed him.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:17 PM

Hey Cuz, O.J didn't do it either.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Member Team SS

************************************************** *****************************************
************************************************** *********************************** :p

vinny@stripersurf.com
Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation Re: Bonds Hits 714* Ties Ruth

Personally I think the Babe should get "extra credit" for playing inebriated (PWI) and the two hot dogs he ate during every game. He probably would have had a couple of beers during the game too if they allowed it in the dugout.

No matter how many people may break his records he remains the top baseball player in history. Check Ruth's career stats to Aaron's, there is no comparison.

I am BTW I big Aaron fan from his days as Milwaukee Brave and saw him hit #714 at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati. He was a classy professional ballplayer and is a first class man.

Babe Ruth
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...php?p=ruthba01

Hank Aaron
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=aaronha01

Old 05-26-2006, 07:58 PM

I remember getting my first baseball almanac. I looked up all my favorite Red Sox, then a man I knew and respected, Paul Hopkins - Senators,who pitched Babes 59th HR the year he hit 60, and then other greats. The black bold #s on Ruths was stunning. He was so dominating, its no wonder he is revered like he is. Its not a white thing, its not a Yankee thing, its a stat thing, look at a baseball almanac and compare him to anyone, its amazing.

Just like Clemens, another great trained by the Red Sox (ha ha ha)

Bonds is a baseball great. Its too bad for baseball and him personally that he made the choice he made.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:53 PM
SS/Veteran

715 today. barf .

Then again, the Nats are (finally) winning some games, and I've got Pujols to watch for my Cards. Pujols, if he can stay healthy, will likely be the greatest of them all. Just amazing what this kid's doing... and the class with which he is doing it.

One thing about Ruth - could the guy field and run the bases, or was he a 1-D player? I mean, he looked about as athletic as Fernando Valenzuela in his prime.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Based on Ruth's 968 fielding percentage, he was less than mediocre in the field BUT his .671 winnning percentage as a pitcher with 94 wins AND those homeruns, yes, I'd say he was an awesome athlete.

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.