Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > The Fan Zone

The Fan Zone Discuss Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer or whatever you think is a sport. NASCAR?

Old 06-12-2006, 04:25 PM

Default Big Ben

Let's hope Big Ben's injuries aren't too serious and he is back on the field leading the Steelers in their super bowl defense. You hate to see this happen to anyone. And this guy has the potential to be one of the greatest ever. I hope he recovers and has no long term affects.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 AM
SS/Insider

Default Re: Big Ben

Yeah, you hate to see this happen to anyone but come on now!! You're a proffesional football player being paid big $$! Put your toys away until you retire! The fact that he wasn't wearing a helmet makes it even that more studip! I rooted for the guy last year but he's a moron!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 AM

I am surprised the Steelers didnt have it written in his contract, no motorcycles, for year round. I remember seeing a Clemens contract no pick up basketball, football, no motorbikes, snowmobiles, no skiing, white water rafting etc. I was at Westchester CC a few years ago and Davis Love III took me and a buddy on a tour of his new 1,000,000 RV. He made us promise secrecy before he showed us a well underneath that had a motorcycle in it (against his contract with our company).
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

"stupid is, as stupid does"

I mean, anyone who risks their career for a hobby is not playing with a full deck up top.

But maybe that's what makes guys like Ben successful? still, shoulda been in the contract at a minimum.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 AM
SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S
"stupid is, as stupid does"

I mean, anyone who risks their career for a hobby is not playing with a full deck up top.

But maybe that's what makes guys like Ben successful? still, shoulda been in the contract at a minimum.
I totally agree. Take up a hobby like fishing!! Hell, in the off season that's all I'd be doing! Why would you risk your career and the risk hurting the team that's paying you all that $$?? I actually don't feel sorry for him at all now that I think about it... You just won the damn Superbowl... Now you're out riding your motorcyle without a helmet?? IDIOT!! This also was something that was know well before he got in his accident that he didn't like wearing a helmet when he rode.... Shame on the Steelers
Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S
Isn't that what we all do when we walk out on a slippery jetty? Some of the comments above are pretty short sighted. I suppose if you slip and fall fishing and can't work, we should all say you deserve it because you knew it was dangerous?

How many pro athletes get caught with a nice sack of coke? For Christ's sake, Ray Lewis killed a guy. You're going to criticize Ben for riding his motorcycle? What about speeding in a car? What about any other risky behavior?

Riding without a helmet is legal in PA. Enough with the dumbass "he deserved it" crap.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:39 PM
SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy50
Isn't that what we all do when we walk out on a slippery jetty? Some of the comments above are pretty short sighted. I suppose if you slip and fall fishing and can't work, we should all say you deserve it because you knew it was dangerous?

How many pro athletes get caught with a nice sack of coke? For Christ's sake, Ray Lewis killed a guy. You're going to criticize Ben for riding his motorcycle? What about speeding in a car? What about any other risky behavior?

Riding without a helmet is legal in PA. Enough with the dumbass "he deserved it" crap.
Hey, I never said he deserved it... Yes, just waking up in the morning could injure you but riding a motorcycle carry's alot of added "risk"... I feel bad that he got hurt but that's as far as it goes. I feel bad for the Steelers if it's something that will jepordize his career .
Old 06-13-2006, 01:40 PM

I evidently can't edit. But for clarification, I'm not calling anyone a dumbass - I am refering to blaming Ben for crashing.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:51 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresmy50

so, you're saying Ben is not stupid because he didn't get caught with a sack of coke? please. you've missed the point. I've had this conversation with my daughter who is a physical therapist and needs her hands. So why start learning how to snowboard? stupid is as stupid does. She almost wiped herself out seriously and for what? If I get hurt, all I need is one finger (ok not THAT finger) to do my job, plus I've got disability and medical. She doesn't. That's what makes it stupid.

The comment about Ben is that if you're paid to be the starting quarterback and being paid millions, you shouldn't be stupid about it... legal or not.

If *you* think it's safe then fine. I don't. And I don't take back the comment about being stupid. If you don't wear korkers out on the rocks or go out in unsafe conditions then you're being stupid. Espcecially if your families (or just your own) livelihood depends on your returning. Maybe you don't care about that... and maybe Ben didn't either. More likely he never took the time to think about it. It's still not what anyone could call "smart", eh?

Risk? of course there's risk in everything we do. But there's measured risk, that's all.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:55 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter m
I am surprised the Steelers didnt have it written in his contract, no motorcycles, for year round. I remember seeing a Clemens contract no pick up basketball, football, no motorbikes, snowmobiles, no skiing, white water rafting etc. I was at Westchester CC a few years ago and Davis Love III took me and a buddy on a tour of his new 1,000,000 RV. He made us promise secrecy before he showed us a well underneath that had a motorcycle in it (against his contract with our company).
Guess that cat's out of the bag...

Was it the chopper the Tuttles built for him?

I know a guy who wiped out on a poker run (a poker run!) with no helmet - bad move, as he's now got a steel plate in his head and had to go through 18 months of therapy to get his guitar playing back in shape. BR's one lucky SOB to have come through with as little damage as he sustained.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:20 AM

So you think anything that risks your career, health, or family is stupid? On the surface, many people would probably agree. Where the argument falls apart is when you realize that there just about everything you do carries risk, and while some may want nothing more than to make the full circle back to the 'diaper years', others choose to enjoy themselves and accept the risk.

For example. Everyone knows cigarettes kill people, so are all people who smoke and have families to support irresponsible? What about the 60% of Americans who are overweight? What about people who enjoy a medium-rare steak, a little sushi, a few beers, or driving a sports car? What about the people who live in say, Denver, and expose their families to the risk of the increased radiation associated with living at higher altitudes? What about riding a bicycle? What about eating a peanut butter sandwich (peanut butter contains a toxic compound that has a statistically verified level of risk)? What about people with families who take risky jobs over safe ones? Should all men whith families who want to be firefighters or police officers try to teach instead?

All of those things increase your chance of getting sick/hurt and being unable to support your family. Are they all stupid, or is there a cutoff? Should the amount of pleasure be weighed against the increased risk? Snowboarding is pretty safe - would you object if your daughter rode a bicycle for exercise?

The point of this exercse is that only you can decide what is too risky for you. Ben is an adult and completey capable of deciding if the pleasure he got from riding was worth the associated risk. Is he also stupid for risking a lifetime of aches and pains to play pro football instead of trying to be an accountant? "To each, his own."
Old 06-14-2006, 11:40 AM
SS/Insider

From ESPN dot com this morning,
"League and team officials confirmed for ESPN.com on Tuesday night that the Steelers last year sent a letter to Roethlisberger's representatives stating their concerns and the possibility his contract could be affected if he was injured while riding a motorcycle." IF not stupid, then irresponsable??

Yes, Ben is a BIG boy and has to make his own decisions. Who am I to say what is right and wrong for him to do. But in MY opinion, he was irresponsable and stupid. I could care less if it's legal to ride without a helmet.... To me it's domb not to...He is very lucky to have escaped with such minor injuries that won't end his career.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

I don't ride motorcycles because I am a crazy nutjob. At least I am aware of this and can openly admit it.

That being said, I think (read my opinion) that riding a motorcycle without a helmet is stupid and irresponsible. I'm glad he didn't get hurt too bad and I hope he learned a lesson from this ordeal.

Most of the time when someone signs to play a professional sports contract there are many no injury risk clauses. Basically if one signs for five years or whatever, they (their bodies) essentially become property of the franchise for the term of the contract even in the offseason. Any activity which could lead to unnecessary risk of injury is not permitted. For the kind of money these guys are making it should not be a problem to conform for a few years.

Hell, Aaron Boone screwed his Yankee contract by playing basketball recreationally. Shame on the Steelers organization if they did not take the precautions to protect their investment in Big Ben.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyB
I don't ride motorcycles because I am a crazy nutjob. At least I am aware of this and can openly admit it.

I don't trust myself or other drivers to get one, and I grew up driving and dumping dirtbikes, mostly in illegal spots,without my parents knowledge, but even at 12 I never did it without a helmet.
As said above their is risk in everything, Would you cross the street without looking? Go out on a jetty without korkers? Enter a burning building without a Scott SCBA? Go out on patrol without a bullet proof vest? If you have others who depend on you, you will take the time to do everything as safely as possible. Would Ben drop back without a helmet? If you drive a motorcycle in some states you don't have to wear a helmet, but your stupid or don't care about others if you don't. You can be the best rider out their, but you have no control of others, like the 62 year old lady who seems to have turned into Ben. Even if you have no family and don't care what happens wear a helemt so passer by's don't have to see brain matter when you get run over by someone running a stop sign.
IMHO Ben proabally didn't like wearing a helmet, with it on he's just another guy on a bike, helmet off, he's Super Bowl Champion QB of the hometown team for all to see riding around town.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 06-14-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Guess that cat's out of the bag...

Was it the chopper the Tuttles built for him?

I know a guy who wiped out on a poker run (a poker run!) with no helmet - bad move, as he's now got a steel plate in his head and had to go through 18 months of therapy to get his guitar playing back in shape. BR's one lucky SOB to have come through with as little damage as he sustained.
This was before the show, now everyone knows.

The thing that would hurt Titleist is if any player gets hurt doing something they were not suppose to do, we cant get a replacement of the same caliber. They are locked up before the season starts. We paid handsomely for exposure that will never be there. Now there are 4k workers for Acushnet company (Titleist), working hard all year, that could be negatively affected.

Think about a football team, and the investment a team makes in a position like quarterback. The upside in personal freedom of not wearing a helmet vs the downside if something bad were to happen is lopsided. For that, why risk letting teammates and patrons down. You cant sign up for $millions$, take every commercial opportunity for more $, and have it all your way (privacy, public image, etc).

Ben got a COMPLETE "do over". Best case scenario nearly happen as his injuries are minor in relative terms.
1) I hope he does some good with this event
2) He needs to write an apology to all the 12/13 yr old boys who was inches away from talking his mom into a dirt bike (ha ha ha ) that now have no shot.

BTW, from the Pittsburgh Post gazette, Bens agent acknowledge receiving a letter from the Steelers last spring specifically mentioning motorcycle riding activity a breach of the dangerous activity clause in his contract (saying it could void his contract). Good for the Steelers for keeping their public statement on Bens health first