Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Fly Fishing the Salt

Fly Fishing the Salt Questions, answers & tips about Patterns, Lines, Leaders, Rods, Reels, Techniques and how to avo

Old 03-24-2007, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Two handed casters

The show was Fly Fish USA or Fly Fishing America.

It was odd... But I think they were somewhere in BC. Doesn't make sense for a Fly Fishing America show. I've seen the episode twice.

It's what got me so interested in spey.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Hank, now do you see what I mean about how well that work in the sedges? A nice tiny fly all the way across the channel to the undercut bank.

Please, it would be deadly. Hmmm, I have a good idea now......
We may need to meet up with mr delarock huh?

The spey community is very close. Their gatherings are called 'claves' I think thats also what they call their groups. And yes the attitude is refreshing. Folks who have fished their whole lives in the NE have a very skewed and rude view of their brothers. I can tell you out west you stroll into a fly shop and start asking questions you best have some time on your hands.

I have seen really nice people out on the NE beaches,,,every once in a while. And to tell you the truth I am not all that friendly with strangers. When I am fishing with you and I see you bump into a stranger and in minutes be laughing and giving your flies away, I am reminded of fishing out west and down south and how fun it is. It is great. Plus you keep em away from me, which is an added bonus
Old 03-25-2007, 10:18 AM

FT the sacrifical lamb for the masses.........I like it we fead him to the wolves and then go fish. Ship FT & I were in the shop talking last night and I said the only difference is that we have the X-factor(Jersey Factor) here. That always screws the equation.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
SS/Insider

I have fished strickly with the two handers. I have both CND and have had great success with them. You will spend more time in the water than false castly to get distance. It is usually one backcast and then send the line. It is also a slightly easier to cast into the wind and it is less tiring and stress on the shoulder. I have not been disappointed with either of them and they are lined with the distance 40.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 AM
SS/Veteran

Hey Grizz, good to see you around!!!

I remember when you came out with us you had one. They are sweet out fits for inlets. Also, best scotch I've ever had!!!

Keep in touch Pal!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:20 AM

I am selling a CND 11' 9/10 two hander that is new and unused, with blank warranty card. I bought it after enjoying a friend's rod, but I only fish the surf once a year these days, as I live out west and spend my time spey casting for steelhead in rivers with longer rods. These surf two handers made fishing too easy, and are real fun if you can get your hands on one that isn't too meaty of a stick. The TFO and T&T 12-12 rods are pretty beefy, and throw 11 - 12 wt lines. This CND throws 9 and 10 wt lines. I wish I had more opportunity to use it.

if someone is interested, see my classified ad on flyfishingforum and speypages, as I don't check in here very often.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:19 PM

G.Loomis makes a nice rod for LLBean for the beach. It's a 11'6" 4pc 10/11 wt. If you buy the combo, it comes with an awesome Airflo line. I have a few of these combos. Although the reel is made in Korea, it has held up very well. The rods are truly remarkable and they are available at a great price!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:50 PM

If you want questions answered by someone that is very well thought of throughout the "Spey Community" and also the "Overhead 2 Hand Casting Community" google " Tight Lines Fly Shop", Pine Brook, NJ. Andrew has been a tremendous help to me re: rod selection, lines and the how to's. Once you get the basics down, 70 - 90', 2-hand overheading is easy and when you hit it right, 120+. Most of these rods are in the 11' - 12' range and much stiffer than classic spey casting rods. Spey is great if you have flowing water but it takes some real experience to do a proper spey cast in the surf. IMHO 2 hand overhead casting will make it possible for me to fish the surf, with flies, for another 10 to 15 yrs and I am 71 now. Wish it was available 15 yrs ago when I started one handing in the surf.