HOME   TROPHY RIGS   CONTACT US   FAQs   REGISTER  SITE INDEX  STRIPED BASS

Advertise with StriperSurf
Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > The Frat House > Margaritaville
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Default Basic Lawn Mower Trouble Shooting

The next time a family member or friend ask you to come over and check there mower because it won’t start.
Ask two questions:

1 Is the spark plug wire connected
2 Is there gas in the tank.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Basic Lawn Mower Trouble Shooting

forget about asking. I tell them it's hopeless and to go buy a new mower...
for some reason they never come back and ask again

I should be serious, those are 2 great questions.

The next thing is to remove the spark plug and clean it with a shot of starting fluid.

Last but not least, they probably left the mower out in the rain and it got water in the fuel.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 PM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

3.Did you prime the carb? ( I bought a mower at a gargae sale for half price because "they couldn't start it")

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Exclamation Re: Basic Lawn Mower Trouble Shooting

Way to go Mike! I had a successful afternoon myself, we looked at new refrigerators, she found a GE with a bottom freezer she liked, BUT... Before she agrees she wants to check around for the same model at a lower price. Apparently I could save 3% if I buy it in Plainfield because the town has a special sales tax rate. Part II - Next week....

As I was leaving around 5:00PM we were standing in the driveway talking and a huge puff of smoke came out of the chimney. The oil burner had kicked on to heat up the water tank. I was flabbergasted at the amount of smoke and told her in no uncertain terms that that old damn thing was a hazard and it HAD to be replaced. Told her that we'll switch over to natural gas and I will make all the arrangements with her nephew. She agreed!

When I said that I would also call PSE&G to run a gas line she asked if I had to pay for that.............? I said yes, I should have lied.

All the A/C units are now hermetically sealed...... of course some teeny bug could get in the house by crawling through the vents built into the unit itself but.......

Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Sorry guys, I realize my post above doesn't make sense. Mike and I had lunch together today and were commiserating about "family matters."

Old 04-25-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Fellow, Team SS 04/05/06/07/08 / Forum Member Watcher

Did you tell her she could have a gas stove and gas oven and gas dryer if you run a line from PSEG? And don't forget your BBQ!

Have you clicked on the Google banner today? C'mon...you know you want to.

I'm not just a Fishermen, I'm the fishin magician!
^^^Unauthorized signature edit by grumpy old men.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob D'Amico View Post
Way to go Mike! I had a successful afternoon myself, we looked at new refrigerators, she found a GE with a bottom freezer she liked, BUT... Before she agrees she wants to check around for the same model at a lower price. Apparently I could save 3% if I buy it in Plainfield because the town has a special sales tax rate. Part II - Next week....

As I was leaving around 5:00PM we were standing in the driveway talking and a huge puff of smoke came out of the chimney. The oil burner had kicked on to heat up the water tank. I was flabbergasted at the amount of smoke and told her in no uncertain terms that that old damn thing was a hazard and it HAD to be replaced. Told her that we'll switch over to natural gas and I will make all the arrangements with her nephew. She agreed!

When I said that I would also call PSE&G to run a gas line she asked if I had to pay for that.............? I said yes, I should have lied.

All the A/C units are now hermetically sealed...... of course some teeny bug could get in the house by crawling through the vents built into the unit itself but.......
She agreed!
Good luck with refrigerator and saveing 3%.

I know someone you could take shopping with you when go looking for refrigerators again.
The sale’s person would probably give you 50% off just to get him out of the store.

The rings in the mower are shoot and it smokes like he’s working for mosquito control.
One of his neighbor’s will probably call the DEP.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 AM
SS/Veteran

My favorite was the neighbor who said "it was running just fine when I put it away in the fall"
I check the plug, fuel line, nothing, she backfires a bit, strange .
I pull the top off, yep the key in the flywheel is sheared clean off. Nice ! I pull the flywheel, which if u dont know the trick is a PITA. Replace the key, reassemble . First pull starts right up.
"yeagh, Mr **** , it musta been running just FINE last fall, right BEFORE you hit that STUMP in your backyard" Idiot. gotta love the neighbors.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINMAN View Post
My favorite was the neighbor who said "it was running just fine "yeagh, Mr **** , it musta been running just FINE last fall, right BEFORE you hit that STUMP in your backyard" Idiot. gotta love the neighbors.

LOL...

I know someone who who tried to cut down a 3" stump with there mower on purpose.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 AM
SS/Veteran

Talking Re: Basic Lawn Mower Trouble Shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverrude View Post
LOL...

I know someone who who tried to cut down a 3" stump with there mower on purpose.
My favorite neighbor fiasco is the fellow who whacked the tips off of three fingers sticking them into a snowblower.

When I asked him what he was thinking, his response was, "we didn't have snow blowers in Cuba!"

...ya can't make this stuff up!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:07 PM

A friend of mine had two of his finger tips cut off by a snow blower ,also. Except his father (a lawyer) sued and settled out of court for a little over a million when we where 15 or 16 years old. This is a true story, his father bought a floor model from a chain store (don't want to say which one, in case I'm wrong!) when it was put together and put on display someone forgot to put on this rinky dink plastic guard. They sued for negligence!! It didn't matter that he stuck his hand in it to unclog it. He didn't even lose half his fingers. (up to his first knuckle!!!)