Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:50 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Wind + Current

Frank,

When fishing places with a strong current, such as inlets, which wind do you think is the best? Do you want wind against the current, making it kick up, or wind with the current, increasing the intensity of the rips? Or perpendicular to the current?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:52 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: Wind + Current

Great question. There may be other variables beside just those two which would explain why a hot spot perks up under certain conditions related to wind and current that we don't fully understnd. I don'twant my answer to be absolute but I think places where currents make bass gather which are on the weak side, a wind adding to the current would naturally help. Similarly, the wind might hold back a marginal current and dull the activity. I would also watch currents which are altered by a side wind and moved. When that happens likely the fish will be moved by such an effect. I think these are important things to watch as long as you don't over-theorize and start trying to explain every picky little aspect of what is going on to the point that you are not watching what is important ...whatever the flip that is.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 AM
SS/Veteran

When I fish in a strong tide I like wind against tide to slow the line drift down an allow me to work the open water thru most of my cast. In the bay it also gives you good water action. In one spot I fish the harder the better.
In another place I go wind against tide stops it and the fish don't show.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 AM
SS/Veteran

From the shore the wind in relation to the current is not as large of a factor as when you are in a boat. Wind against tide can ruin your drift and too much wind with the tide can make your drift too fast. A very strong current (Hull Gut on a moon tide) with a light opposing wind (ebbing tide/light North wind) is ideal as you can stay straight "up and down" with 2-3 ounces.
On the open beach, wind in your face is bad for casting but hold bait against the shoreline so casting far is not important. In a bay or inlet, current and structure will be places rips and turbulance are used to ambush bait. These rips become more pronounced when the wind opposes the current. Gamefish will concentrate in such places weather you see them or not, I think people sometimes recognize rips better when wind against tide conditions prevail and associate the contition with the better fishing when it was the condition the simply told them the right place to fish. They might have caught the same fish in the opposite conditions (wind with the tide) if their feet were in the same place but the couldn't recognize the rip in those conditions.....JC
Old 10-28-2007, 04:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I guess that sort of reinforces what I observe. In places with real strong tides maybe it doesn't matter so much although it might make the place look fishier or slow the current down for more effective fishing. The other thing I've notices is it strong winds will change the time of slack. A strong southwest wind will make the canal slack earlier (on low slack) but the corresponding east or north wind will delay it.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:28 AM

Some spots the wind can combine to help or ruin the fishing; others it is not a factor. We currently fish an outflow whre the wind has no meaning.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM
SS/Veteran

It all depends on where your fishing, The important thing is too be able to size up a new spot. So you don't walk away skunked.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 AM

True Al. The outdoors is all problem solving and memory. Some of the dumbest guys I know are smart enough to go back and do what they did last time they caught fish there.