Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies

Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies SUV's, "Beach Buggy" Vehicles, Equipment and Getting Stuck

Old 12-10-2008, 01:46 PM

Default nightime headlight issue

i was driving up the beach at IBSP, when i came upon 3 or 4 stuck trucks near the A-23 entrance to the beach. i had my fog lights on (which i've always used) to avoid shining too much light around people fishing and a park ranger was there with the stuck trucks trying to assist them i guess. as i approached him, he asked me if i minded turning my headlights on. without argument i turned them on, but the question i have is, why should i need to turn the headlights on when i have fog lights that shine low on the sand and any one on the beach can still see them from miles away? its not like im driving 60 miles an hour and need to see where i'm going. we're on the beach, and supposed to be going no more then 10 mph! thanks

Last edited by FishinHardWater : 12-10-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: re worded some stuff
Old 12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Default Re: nightime headlight issue

The rangers live by the same laws that apply to driving on the road.
Including Seat belts.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:37 PM

Do they also cite you for not using your blinkers when say, turning off the beach?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

I do believe I heard they will write you up if you don't use headlights. I also used to just drive with my fog lights and was "warned" too.

I'm sure its a safety issue and they probably are right on this one. I can just see some caster sleeping on the sand and being run over. I'm sure its not someone seeing you but, you seeing someone in front of you.

I do drive with my head lights on low beam now but, when turning toward the surf, especially if there is other casters fishing there, shut them down before they shine on them..
Old 12-10-2008, 07:06 PM

thanks for the replys. ill try to remember to wear my seat belt too
Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

The rangers don't realize that you can see better with the fogs than headlamps so they enforce what they know.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob View Post
The rangers don't realize that you can see better with the fogs than headlamps so they enforce what they know.
yea i know... i can see the GROUND very well in front of me with the fogs. in my opinion, who cares whats up beach hundreds of feet away, which is what the headlamps are for... after all, im only going under 10 mph! but i guess your right they only enforce what they know
Old 12-10-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefish4231 View Post
Do they also cite you for not using your blinkers when say, turning off the beach?
or changing lanes (tracks)
Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Moderator, Team SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefish4231 View Post
They could all rules of the road are the same on the beach, as for changing "lanes" it would probably be a easy win in court because theirs no marked lanes. You would have to be a real J.O. to get written up for it meening you probably already did a few more things they could get you on.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Moderator,Team SS 04-08

It's pretty simple. They ask you to turn the headlights on, do so. Stay within the speed limits, road and beach, and they wont bother you. If they pull you over, and you are being an a$$, they can probably bag you for no seat belt or any other Title 39 (NJ motor vehicle law) infraction they can come up with. They do have all the same police powers as any other cop (even before they became "Park Police" over "Rangers" )
Simple solution. Follow the regs and laws, and you probably wont have a problem...
Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM
Senior Fellow

OK, OK Rags --- there you go again!!! Follow the rules and just get along!!! Whatever happened to civil disobedience? Hell, I need the beacon from the lighthouse so I can see where the steering wheel is.
I'm sure it is a safety issue and any fisherman would feel bad after running over some poor dude/dudette on the beach. As much as I hate rules it is easier to follow them and fish than fight them and get kicked off.

Merry Christmas and Healthy 2009 with plenty of fishin for all,
Cheers

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"