Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies

Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies SUV's, "Beach Buggy" Vehicles, Equipment and Getting Stuck

Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: 4x4 vs AWD

CHSTRIPER, diggin' out sucks!!!

For every shovel of sand you take out 1\2 a shovel falls back in. Then you're covered in sand, not to mention if it's a 90deg. day and no wind you become sweaty which the sand sticks to, and the greenheads swarm, and worst of all is how much digging around the vehicle is necessary. Then once you are out you have to shovel all the sand back into the crator you just created{that's for the conciencious ones out there, many don't replace their divots!!! }

Above all, for people like me who have to travel 3hrs. to get there and only have about 30hrs to fish, it's an aweful waste of time.

Now if you're real lucky someone offers to pull you out, but then you have the stress of hoping you don't damage their vehicle, or that they connect their side of the strap correctly so it doesn't fly back into your windshield, or if they're an idiot and connect to their bumper they don't rip that off. Along with the fact that they are risking getting stuck too.

Getting stuck is a b!tch!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

PC, that is very common in early spring. The sand is tossed by storms one after another so air forms in the whipped sand. It just gives out under your truck's weight, usually when making a turn.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:20 AM

Really did not realize getting stuck was that big a deal, I stand corrected. Hope I never have to find out.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 AM
SS/Veteran

Good to know Wildbob. Thanks. We don't usually have access in the spring.
I learned something from that day. We were down to 12 #'s and still plowing.
CHSTRIPER-I hope you never find out too. Ever hear the term "Shoveling sand against the tide"?
that's the way it is.
Fish Tank forgot to mention that it also wastes time for the people who help you.
We have dug out quite a few people over the years and it sucks.
It's worse when you find out that it was because they were just plain stupid.
So many people 'think' they will never get stuck, oh no not them, after pulling them out you find out they were riding on full tires. Ruins my day and theirs.
As others have said if you feel yourself even starting to spin just stop. I do what FT does, back up and go a different path.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 PM

Bob , could not view your video , all I saw in the post was a one liner and a:dunno:
Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDOLLAR View Post
Bob , could not view your video , all I saw in the post was a one liner and a
You need Adobe Flash Player to view it.

----------------------------------------------------
Untied we Stand
Divided we will Fall!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman View Post
Obviously a very expeirienced driver driver in the sand, as evidenced by the sand flying from the spinning wheels and revving engine... Probably how he got stuck in the first place....
Seriously, thats a situation where true 4x4 will outperform AWD. Feel yourself getting stuck, stop, drop it in low range, and let it creep out of the mess. Cant do that with the common AWD.
I was thinking the same thing. It also looked like he had those low profile street tires, which have very little side wall which would hurt traction.

I also heard it is better to pull from the rear because the tracks go back to where you came from, and the resistance would be less.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:40 PM

The way the sand was flying from only one front wheel seems to suggest there's no positraction on the truck. They may call it AWD, but without posi it's just two 2WDs. 4WD with limmited sllip on both axels, or at least the rear.