Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies

Off Road 4 X 4 - Beach Buggies SUV's, "Beach Buggy" Vehicles, Equipment and Getting Stuck

Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 PM

Default cooler rack

i am thinking about purchasing a cooler rack for my truck in the spring... i want to get a full size cooler (120 qt)rack with bucket holders on both sides and everything...

the problem is, is that i have a mid size truck and the headlights will probably be blocked completely. has anyone ever seen a real cooler rack on a mid size truck before?

if i buy one, i am thinking about buying a set of snowplow lights for the front... but dont know if this is a 'seasonal' (winter) thing only with plow lights. after all, a cooler rack is not a permanent fixture, just like a snowplow, and can be removed and called 'temporary' . so i dont see why it wouldnot be legal ...any suggestions are appreciated thank you.

THE BELOW PICTURE: this looks to me like a ford explorer? and the headlights are only blocked by the rod holder tubes, not the cooler, this is a 94 qt cooler. and i'm not sure if the lights on the front are legal because they dont have turn signals?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Moderator, Team SS

Default Re: cooler rack

I don't know the legality of it on the headlight front, but turn singals I'm pretty sure hand signals can still be used. I think when doinga rack like that the thinking is not to do much night driving or only driving thru "friendly" towns.
Wurk2fish might have some more insight and he'll probably direct you to the same buiilder I think you may have gotten that pic from, Norm?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM

yes, from norm's website (i didnt post a link because im not sure if im allowed to on this forum)... by friendly towns, do u mean ones that are near the beach and are used to these types of racks on the trucks traveling thru them? such as seaside park, and the other island towns
Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 PM
NJBBA, Capt. Team SS, SS/Insider, SS/Platinum

That is probably OK if those are legal headlights installed on the rack. There may be a state formula as how bright they can be and how far apart they can be mounted. If you get a pair of the lights that the snow plows use you will have turn signals included, too.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Hey Fishin'......looks are deceiving....those headlights are not as blocked as you may think.....example:

It's just what it appears to be happining at the dead-on shot....as you can see from an offset shot...the rack below looks blocked at first.....and then you see it's not.....AND that's a 150 qt. on a midsized vehicle.

You will have to do a step-up receiver system from under a Ford Explorer as you won't have enough ground clearance if you just come straight out!!!

And yes...call Norm...Google Norm'sWelding

Headlights NOT Blocked!!!

W2F
Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 AM

thank you. i have a 2005 ford ranger, im hoping i can use double square tube receivers instead of a tow hitch receiver. i am probabaly going to have to do the step up receivers because i dont want the rack plowing into the sand on bumps and inclines. thanks for the pictures and info! i like the rack you have because it dosent have the rod holder tubes down the sides, they are all behind the cooler which keeps them away from the headlights.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Team SS '08,SS/Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHardWater View Post
thank you. i have a 2005 ford ranger, im hoping i can use double square tube receivers instead of a tow hitch receiver. i am probabaly going to have to do the step up receivers because i dont want the rack plowing into the sand on bumps and inclines. thanks for the pictures and info! i like the rack you have because it dosent have the rod holder tubes down the sides, they are all behind the cooler which keeps them away from the headlights.
You should be able to find a spot to bolt a double square reciever. I had a '99 ranger I would still have it if it were not for the $9,000 in damage after an accident. Poor truck was never the same. BTW my insurance company says "100% satisfaction" not true the front axel never worked after that and they refused to fix it.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHardWater View Post
You'll be able to use a double mounting system if ya go to a fabricator....the rack in the pic is not mine....but one I made. You pic how you want your rack made when you go custom(rod-tubes on side or rear)!!! All the racks I made....where technically made by the buyers...I just put together what they asked for....Norm will do the same for ya!!!

W2F