Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:15 PM

Default water temps question / speculation

Hey Frank,
So far, and 30 days & counting, it appears as though we can consider this winter a rather mild one. That being said, the water temps at the Jersey Shore, out front, are currently in the low 40's. If this pattern holds, do you think we could have an early spring run? I know its pure speculation, however, I was always amazed at how fast the back bays heated up when in past years we had a mild winter. I never kept a log so if those that do, it would be nice to hear some historical facts.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

Default Re: water temps question / speculation

Thanks, Art. I have lost a lot of sleep trying to correlate water temperature with striper movement. Let me sleep on this and get back to this tomorrow. Meanwhile, I would love to have any number of our members jump on this. We have some savvy guys here
Old 02-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Senior Fellow

I'm not that temp savvy guy but know quite a few who base their fishing upon water temps. I watch the sites were anglers discuss the offshore and inshore temp charts to determine when and where they will fish. The water temps on our NC beaches have remained above normal this winter and in another few weeks we'll see if it changes the surf fishing patterns. One major factor on the local coast is proximity to the gulf stream. With deep water and the stream being within 14-16 miles in several places a subtle change in wind direction can make a big water temp impact in a short time frame. I have also seen a ten degree water temp difference within 12 miles in reference to the beaches below the Point at Cape Hatteras and those just slightly north, the "northern beaches". The Gulf Stream and the Labrador Current greet one another just off of Cape Hatteras. The results are frequently very dynamic weather wise and in regards to water temps. Folks have been catching puppy drum all winter and that is something I don't recall in recent past years.

"You fish --- then you die --- or you don't fish and die anyway --- your choice"
Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

I always thought that 50 degrees F was the water temperature at which we could start catching stripers. But there have been mentions here of much colder than that. Years ago, when we used to greet the first schoolies in RI, we could never catch them until it got to 50. We would be fishing and not catching any. Then, all at once they would start hitting, catching smalls every cast. I would take the temp and it was 50.