Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:27 PM
SS/Veteran

Default Re: Investment Talk -- where is your money?

How can there be any debate about the stock market? Assuming you have some, your money has to go somewhere. Derision for investing is silly and indicative of not understanding. People, including me, have made fortunes through investing. If you have made a half million long term and lost 50 K short term what do you have to cry about? I just got through negotiating with a bank person over CD rates when she had set us up for 1%. Now that same bank is offering 3 percent. But if you are willing to accept a little risk you can do way better. Take the trouble to search for a better yield. Every company in the economy pays a dividend on their stock. Don't know which company to buy? Ask a broker.

I just read in Bloomberg magazine that if you buy ten stocks and only one makes money, that ONE stock will cover the others. This year, for me and my wife, it was McDonalds. Among others, which lost a little, Mickey D's turned 10K into 18K and paid a decent dividend while it all happened. My regret is that I didn't buy 100K so it could turn to 180K. But I am a chicken investor who pussyfoots around.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:35 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
How can there be any debate about the stock market? Assuming you have some, your money has to go somewhere. Derision for investing is silly and indicative of not understanding. People, including me, have made fortunes through investing. If you have made a half million long term and lost 50 K short term what do you have to cry about? I just got through negotiating with a bank person over CD rates when she had set us up for 1%. Now that same bank is offering 3 percent. But if you are willing to accept a little risk you can do way better. Take the trouble to search for a better yield. Every company in the economy pays a dividend on their stock. Don't know which company to buy? Ask a broker.

I just read in Bloomberg magazine that if you buy ten stocks and only one makes money, that ONE stock will cover the others. This year, for me and my wife, it was McDonalds. Among others, which lost a little, Mickey D's turned 10K into 18K and paid a decent dividend while it all happened. My regret is that I didn't buy 100K so it could turn to 180K. But I am a chicken investor who pussyfoots around.
December most of the time it's a dipping month , its a great time to declare losses preparing for the new year . And some worry who will get their fishing equipment when they are gone .......the wife's new boyfriend .
Old 12-17-2018, 06:12 AM
SS/Veteran

We lost a lot of money in December. Right now we are beefing up our safe portfolio what with interest rates climbing.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:34 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

well, I'm glad I'm not depending on stock values right now... "lost" a lot on paper.

Most of my $ is geared toward dividends and I am leaning on the trusted strategy of dollar-cost-averaging to pull me back up on the other side of this downturn.

If I was going to retire in the next few months, I'd be a little worried.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:04 PM
SS/Veteran

I am a big believer in diversity -- a safe group of CDs, tax free munies, utility stocks.

Then there is the risk part which is Fidelity mutual funds that are very spread, dividends reinvested, no pay outs sent to us.

A second risk set with a different broker that sends dividends that we actually cash and spend.

Break down is 1/2 first group in safe group; rest is two 1/4s, one with Fidelity and the other 1/4 elsewhere paying dividends.

And yes, investments are tanking at the worst in over 10 years. At least the Safe group is safe.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:33 PM
SS/Veteran

the market of December 2018 is the worst December since 1931
Old 12-21-2018, 06:17 PM

Like I said, glad I'm not retiring soon.

I'm pretty diverse, include a REIT, annuity, of course mutual funds, cash across 3 different brokers and none I plan on withdrawing from anytime soon.

My work 401K, of course, is where the $ cost averaging comes in.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:40 PM
SS/Veteran

If you minimize borrowing, stay married, diversify investments, control taxes and have as big an IRA as you can handle, long tern you will be able to retire at age 51 like Mister Smarty.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:13 PM
SS/Veteran

We could have gone on safari in Africa and bought the plane with what we lost this month.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:35 PM
SS/Veteran

When the market is down it is not time to boo who but time to buy. On the other side when the market is high it is time to sell. J Paul Getty's secret.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:30 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
When the market is down it is not time to boo who but time to buy. On the other side when the market is high it is time to sell. J Paul Getty's secret.
Not sure. Where is the DOWN in down? Market was down a month ago and had we bought then we would have lost another bundle. You only learn these things after the fact when it is too late. What is bad about the current market is that it is making investors skittish, consequently reluctant to buy in.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:14 PM
SS/Veteran

just as I was wiping the puke from my investment chin, I saw our investments had recovered by 35 K. Now, if we could have that happen three more times, our investments would break even. In other words, it was a good day.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:13 AM
SS/Veteran

My investment plan went up in smoke when McKinzie won the featured Malibu Stakes on opening day at Santa Anita yesterday.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:07 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
just as I was wiping the puke from my investment chin, I saw our investments had recovered by 35 K. Now, if we could have that happen three more times, our investments would break even. In other words, it was a good day.
Today is the fourth or fifth good day on the market but recovery back to December 1st levels is still a long way off. I don't recall ever seeing a period like this past December. I'm going to put any future buys on the safe side. Right now I like 4.5 percent Muny fund, no taxes, no risk, good yield and safe.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:05 AM

a 4.5% muni fund sounds good right about now

there will be a few more bumps depending on what happens with China