Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:17 AM
SS/Veteran

Default Happy birthday, Mister Smarty!

Happy birthday to our fearless leader! Here's to good scotch, moby stripers on the fly, deer in the woods, and the back seat of a '53 Ford. Happy Birthday, Frank!

Oh, and by the way: we'll waive the protocols for this one. Feel free to jump in before Frank responds -- the more the merrier. Cheers!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 AM
SS / Curmudgeon / SSc Storm Watcher

Default Re: Happy birthday, Mister Smarty!

Happy Birthday Mr. Smarty! The original internet pontificator of the striped ones!
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM

Happy Birthday Mr. D !! Tonight I will pour my beer in a glass in your honor. Thanks for all you do. Probably my favorite quote from Mr. Smarty “It is she or I as the leather of my drag washers comes out in a paste .” Cheers !!
Old 11-14-2018, 09:26 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramp 32 View Post
Happy Birthday Mr. D !! Tonight I will pour my beer in a glass in your honor.
Tonight I will swill right from the bottle, just to spite him!

Old 11-14-2018, 09:46 AM
SS/Veteran

Many happy returns
Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 AM
Senior Fellow, SS/Platinum, SS/Insider, Team SS

Happy Birthday Frank, stay healthy and happy.

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Education does not guarantee intelligence.

Prepare for the worst and you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:37 PM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Garrity View Post
Happy birthday to our fearless leader! Here's to good scotch, moby stripers on the fly, deer in the woods, and the back seat of a '53 Ford. Happy Birthday, Frank!

Oh, and by the way: we'll waive the protocols for this one. Feel free to jump in before Frank responds -- the more the merrier. Cheers!
It was a '51 Ford, two tone with skirts, foxtail on the antennae, radio blaring a Fats Domino oldie, "Blueberry Hill". I'm 82 today. Nice to hear from yuz all
Old 11-14-2018, 09:20 PM
SS/Veteran

HBD Frank! May all your stripers, turkey, and deer be a short drag to the car! (...and may your backseat have more miles on it than the rest of the car!)
Old 11-15-2018, 04:17 PM
SS/Veteran

Never thought I would see the day when the length of the drag would be a factor. Today, the first thing I do is measure the spaces between the trees to see if we can fit the SUV through to drive in and get it. $45,000 scratched beyond reason. At oil changes the mechanic always asks, "where the phuck you taking this buggy?"
Old 11-15-2018, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Happy Birthday Francis...
Old 11-16-2018, 01:47 AM

Happy Birthday !!!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:50 AM
SS/Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Daignault View Post
Never thought I would see the day when the length of the drag would be a factor. Today, the first thing I do is measure the spaces between the trees to see if we can fit the SUV through to drive in and get it. $45,000 scratched beyond reason. At oil changes the mechanic always asks, "where the phuck you taking this buggy?"
Youre driving it where it was meant to go!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:40 PM
SS/Veteran

My 50 years on the beach taught me a lot about all-terrain driving. I have gotten a lot of people out of trouble who were stuck in mud, snow, beach sand, thin ice. I have seen grown men cry in terror over being stuck, unable to move their vehicle. The most common solution is tire pressures where people might know to air down but commonly they don't air down enough! Another issue in off-road is clearance. There is no solution to hanging your undercarriage on a rock. Biggest mistake when buying a 4-wheel is to lack adequate clearance. More and more they are making SUVs which are less rollover prone by building them closer to the ground. Fine. Then stay on paved roads and get a hernia dragging out your trophy. Like so many things, trade offs.

I also have learned how to comfort distraught drivers by starting with "I promise that if you do what I say, I will get you out." In years in the wild -- beach and forests -- I have never had a charge resort to a tow-truck. On the Cape I had a reputation for getting people out of trouble. Sure I once did drive into eleven feet of water, another story.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:06 PM

Going back down to Hatteras this weekend to do some Drummin. On the island they have a humorous campaign going called “Don’t be a clown.. Air down!!” . Last month I was talking to a ranger at the local B & T and he told me he just had to call a wrecker for a Jeep that was totally buried in the sand because they were running on full pressure. On the back of said vehicle... the air down sticker you get for free with your beach driving permit . Can’t make it up
Old 11-16-2018, 05:10 PM
SS/Veteran

I rarely drive sand but have a Subaru Forrester. Remind me again what you should air down to...

(Apologies... I know it's the birthday thread)