Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Click for Daignault Biography Twenty Years Trophy Striper Striper Surf Striper Hot Spots MID-ATLANTIC Striper Hot Spots - NEW ENGLAND Eastern Tides Fly Fishing the Striper Surf
TWENTY YEARS ON THE CAPE - STRIPER SURF - STRIPER HOT SPOTS - THE TROPHY STRIPER
EASTERN TIDES - FLY FISHING THE STRIPER SURF
Welcome to Frank Daignault's "CASTS" - Center for Advanced Studies of Trophy Stripers.
Please be sure to read the Protocol and then join in!

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Main Forums > Ask Frank Daignault

Ask Frank Daignault Frank Daignault is recognized as an authority on surf fishing for striped bass. He is the author of six books and hundreds of magazine articles. Frank is a member of the Outdoor Writers of America and lectures throughout the Northeast.

Old 08-09-2002, 10:33 AM

Have you seen the light....
Ok so I am not a television evangelist...

Frank, Do you beleive in the Big Plugs/Big Fish theory?

How about Area 51?

Mike
Old 08-09-2002, 10:33 AM

Have you seen the light....
Ok so I am not a television evangelist...

Frank, Do you beleive in the Big Plugs/Big Fish theory?

How about Area 51?

Mike
Old 08-09-2002, 04:50 PM

amen, brother. i believe!
Old 08-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Writer, Hunter, Surfcaster

The big bait theory is just that. I would call it pseudo-science. For every example that supports it, there is one available to to dispel it. Pikies work, flys work.

I have no clue what you mean with the 51 thing. :r Clarify.

And Sea, :m

[This message has been edited by Frank Daignault (edited 08-09-2002).]
Old 08-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Publisher, StriperSurf

Frank,
I think Area 51 refers to Roswell, New Mexico where the Feds are hiding all the spaceships and alien bodies. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
Dates back to, jeez the early 50's maybe, you were just a young kid.

Hollywood did a cool job of portraying Area 51 in the movie Independence Day. Which, was a pretty lame movie, for 12-14 year old kids or adult guys who stay up late at night writing HTML code.

BTW: Not all the similies work [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

------------------
Bob
bob@stripersurf.com

[This message has been edited by Bob DAmico (edited 08-09-2002).]

Old 08-09-2002, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the rescue, Bob. There is nothing dumber than feeling dumb in a dumb situation which was created by a dumbagraphic
protoligist. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2002, 10:33 PM

Proctoligist, proctologist -- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

------------------
Frank
Old 08-10-2002, 12:08 PM

Ya know, I wasn't thinkin. grab "Hot spots" and look for 51: Barrington River in Conn.

Then the light goes on, Oh well, never mind. A blonde moment and I'm gray.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:11 PM

Tattoo, another thought I had while filleting shorts in the dunes last night, is that there can be situations where a big bait can cull out the larger bass in the scene. Years ago, on east beach, the hickory shad were being busted major by monsters in the first wave. I mean, when three pound shad are being swallowed, you know all that is in your fore is moby. No bass would take a plug as son, Dick and me tried. Finally, I went small, caught a shad, tied on a big hook and live lined the shad. But by the time it all transpired the bass had either left or were full and no longer feeding. Still, how many times on the Cape have we seen cows wallowing in the sand eels? J caught her only 50 on a Wind-cheater Rebel. And all the girls, including J, have taken fish in the mid to upper 40s on 5 1/2 Rebels. An old and persistent joke when taking 3 pounders on Giant Pikies is that they were trying to do something else to the plug.

No,Sea, I don't bleieve in space men, though I have thought about space women and even spacey women. One night, when me and Momma J were working a stretch in P-Town -- and I hope I'm not taking too long with this -- a woman was skinnieing at the public beach near the Ranger station. I could make out her form in the quarter moonlight, though I could not see nothing, I could see that she was not wearing a suit. Anyway, we always would throw three casts then move. On about the 8th cast, J says, "we gonna move?" And I, dedicated to the mission of finding stripahs, told her that I had just had a hit. Momma J, her, started the buggy and left me there. I just walked east until J came back and she put her high beams on me, a thing no true surfcaster would ever do, picked me up and gave me another another chance. i think that was 1979, right after they invented panty-hose. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Oh boy, let's not go there.

------------------
Frank
Old 08-10-2002, 12:48 PM

Frank,

Bob was right about the area 51 thing. Its was just something I threw in there as an aside, plus I knew you would ramble on about a mis adventure you had somewhere. Those short ramblings of nights in the surf are a great read.

I think I have finally seen the light, Frank. There are no definative answers for what goes on in the big blue, other than stripers have stripes, and bluefish have teeth. I wonder if the injuns ever wondered "Why?".

"Nature is a mother" I think just about sums it up as a whole.

Thanks again.

P.S. That Seawolf guy is a holy roller Hari-Krishna surfcaster.....be afraid, be very afraid.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:14 PM

hey tattoo, wanna see who we can throw in the water tonight?

speaking of flys tattoo, when we going? i need another "telent" watch. any "bait" on the "beach"?
Old 08-10-2002, 05:04 PM

I knew you would come out with a little provoking. Your always looking for a fight. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I wouldn't go to that place on a Saturday or Sunday. Loads of "bait", but getting down Thames street is a pain in the *** . TOO MANY people, too much aggrevation.

My flyrod fiends have all disappeared. Good thing cause rowing that damn canoe around was starting to really **** ! Although it was fun to watch everyone cast as far as they can and still not reach them while all I had to do was drop my fly over board to them toothy critters.

Anywho, Barrington Beach should just about be worth making the 15 minute trip. I think I might take a ride in the early AM. The best thing about that place is the plugs. Man, I never realized it until one afternoone last year. 15 plugs in one afternoon! I guess no one ever looks down when they are chasing them blues up and down the beach. But the locals are on to me. They saw my stash and no you gotta get there real early to get anything.

Speaking of that beach, How was that beach back in yore, Frank. I know you didnt think it was worthy enough to get into Hot Spots, but none the less, an easy place to fish, and always and fish. How was the quality of fish?
Old 08-10-2002, 06:49 PM

Chief 500, yea, he threw us both off with the little men, area 51. If that movie came out when I was at my high point in fishing, I would have never seen it. Even now, old, busted up, distracted, we only get to the movies once per year.

Thanks for the kind remarks, all, checking the copy for loose ends, and at a disadvantage being sober and all, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Barrington Beach could have been an oversight on my part. Frankly, I have no history there as I always preferred the moving water of the two nearby rivers. I'm a sucker for current.

Putting Hot Spots together had a lot of considerations in its formulation. We wanted to be loyal to a spread of locations to appeal to the largest order of the striper coast. I tried, though I may have failed to some degree, not to be overly strong in the places I knew over the areas, say Jersey, parts of Conn, and Long Island, where I had to rely upon help. Fine to write about Watch Hill to P-town, ducks soup, but the other places required a $500 phone budget from the publisher to cover the long discussions and taping from people, who, in many cases, I did not even know. This meant that I often had to do a place twice so that I could be reasonably certain the guy I had was not BSing me. There were other things.

A place where you can only park two cars was not suitable for inclusion. or a place where there were security concerns. Some bait shops were disgusting; others made it work. Most of all, though the book has worked well, it was not fun to write. It was too formula, too factual. Writers enjoy waxing poetic. And I liked trying my hand at that with the others.

Finally, there have been people who were miffed at my letting these spots out. I mean Charlestown Breachway, Montauk? I learned a long time ago, in a firestorm of criticism, that surfcasting is the farmer's daughter -- "if you don't do it, somebody else will."

------------------
Frank