Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM

Default Cape Cod Canal?

I have never fished the canal but would like to at least give it shot. I've read alot online. Anybody got any pointers. I'll be around the west end area at the end of April.
My bag holds 8 plugs. What would be the best to toss in there?
I don't want to spot burn. If you could send me a pm would be great.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Cape Cod Canal?

Wish I knew more about the Canal to help you. All I can offer up is check out Frank D's Striper Hot Spots. Lots of info..
Old 02-24-2012, 05:45 AM

If you go on you tube and watch videos from fishing there all your questions will be answered.....thats how i got started down there
Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 AM

Mako66, Just GO, EVERYONE there at any of the shops will help you. all the knowledge is out there. you have to put TIME ON THE WATER, an LEARN.
GOOD LUCK GOOD FISHIN.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:26 AM

Funny I asked that question a year ago, now I am somewhat educated. Do a search on this site with the keywords CC Canal or similar. Plugs? Bucktail, Slugo, RonZ, surface pencil or popper or Repala, live eel! Stop by Cape Cod Charlies they'll give you some tips or hit Red Top in Bourns for some equipment or the Canal Bait ship on the Cape side. Fish slack or learn to jig bounce off the bottom with current, we're all still learning the canl
Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
SS/Veteran

" The Ditch "
Old 03-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the replies I'll do a search here.

With luck I'll run into a few of you guys.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 AM

Thumbs up Re: Cape Cod Canal?

I fish the ditch and use pencils,shads,jigs, and fish when tide turns. check red top tackle they will help.also if you ride bike you can fish the whole length like all the locals.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM

I gotta get my bike rigged up for the canal.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Team SS '08,SS/Insider

A bike is great. Mine has a rack ($20-30) with a milk crate bolted to it. On the sides are PVC tubes for rod holders. Has enough room for waders plug bag and lunch. I use it all over cana, lakes, anywhere you want to fish and cover some space. Just be careful with stuff in the crate and 9-11' rods the bike won't stay up on the kickstand.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:08 PM

Looking to modify that. Thanks for the posts. I hope I can meet a few ofyou guys out there.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:30 AM
SS/Veteran

I am a canal addict. Search through my old posts you may get a tip or two. I'll highlight a couple below.

The bike: yes they are helpful provided you don't end up riding more than fishing. (lots of canal guys are guilty of this)

Fish Everywhere: Yes and No on that, goes back to what I was saying about the bike, understanding that the bass typically move in and out of the canal quickly is key. Sometimes you'll need to cover the 7 mile stretch, most times it's better to wait for them to come through.

Jigging: Its a must know technique if you want to fish a full tide, also the best method for big fish and most productive method for late morning/daytime canal fishing.

Gear: The canal current magnifies the right of any bass you hook, if you are not loaded for bear chances of snapping off on a large are higher than anywhere else.

First Light: Many a canal fisherman fail because they expect magic at first light every morning and subsequently they only show up at first light. There have been many a night where they were on the surface all night only to stop feeding in the am.

Respect: With the fast current its very important to provide space to the guy next to you. For both your benifit and his. Plugging next to someone jigging is a no no. Jigging 10' away from someone else jigging is a no no. Mugging a guy who's been standing on the same rock all night to get into first light action is a serious offense.

Hopefully that helps some. Pm for mpre details (spot info will never be divludged).