Home

HOME     ARTICLES     Frank DAIGNAULT     TROPHY RIGS     CONTENTS     FAQs     FLY FISHING     OFF ROAD 4 X 4     STRIPED BASS    SURFCASTING

Go Back   StriperSurf Forums > Regional Fishing Forums > Fishing - Massachusetts

Fishing - Massachusetts Massachusetts Fishing Reports and Information from the Plum to the "Race"

Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 PM

First I would like to apologize to all you Cape guys, it seems like 7 out of 10 posts in this forum start out like, "I'm planning a trip up to the Cape around so and so and was wondering if...", rather than just info about fishing. So now that that's out of the way, I was planning a trip up to the Cape around the beginning of October and was wondering if I could get some advice. (I guess these types of things are expected when you live in the mecca of surf fishing.) I have never been up there before, but have always wanted to go, and I am really psyched about it. We are staying in Chatham probably, and I know there are awesome fishing "grounds" right near by. My concern is, without a 4x4 pass for Nauset Beach, are we wasting our time fishing there, is it necessary for success? From what I have read, there is only one access point, and it is a long ways to the inlet. Where should we go to find some productive areas to fish. We are experienced bass fisherman, fishing mostly plugs, so method is not important, just general location for most potential without feeling lost due to being in a new environment. Help!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:14 PM

October is my favorite time for fishing the Cape's Great Outer Beaches - Nauset to Herring Cove.

Stop into the Hook-Up B&T, 85 Rte. 6A in Orleans and I'll give you the latest on what's happening that week on the outer cape. If I'm not in, talk to whoever is working.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
SS/Veteran

Hey Bill does the Hook-Up pay you for all this advertising your giving them LOL.

Keeper of the light
Old 07-28-2005, 08:55 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tattoobob:
Hey Bill does the Hook-Up pay you for all this advertising your giving them LOL. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just my regular day's pay, Bob. And, trying to help newcomers to the Cape's fishing.

Hope you will stop in too, next time your down this way. We are the real deal on the Cape with the best selection of live and frozen bait and a shop that caters to the surfcaster, small boat and offshore fishermen. Also, a fleet of three charterboats for Bass, Blues and offshore for Tuna,etc.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:34 AM
SS/Veteran

I will be down the 2nd to the 24th and will stop in to see ya. maybe we can fish together
I will be camping at North of Highland 20th to the 22nd then staying at Race Point Light House the other nights

Keeper of the light
Old 07-28-2005, 10:48 AM

I'll look forward to it, Bob. Don't know what my schedule will be then and I will also be going as mate on our offshore boat for Tuna mid-September to November. So, shoot me an email just before you come down. Send it to fishinthecape@aol.com.

Your lucky to be staying at the Lighthouse. I met a couple from Pittsfield, MA who stayed there a couple nights in June. Said it was a great experience. Was it a long wait?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:52 AM

I'm looking forward to it, Bob. While my shop schedule will be reduced by October, I will be going as mate on our offshore boat from mid-September through early November. Shoot me an email to fishinthecape@aol.com before you come down.

Staying at Race Point Lighthouse ! That's great. I met a couple from Pittsfield, MA who stayed there in late June or early July and said it was a great experience. How did you arrange it? Was there a long wait? I'd really like to do that next year.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:49 PM
SS/Veteran

I will dig up the info when Julie gets home,
But we were there last year when that big line for our orv pass and got turned away after a 3 hr wait. so we parked and walked miles ened up at the light house. when we arrived home we did some searches on light houses and found that for a large some of money you can stay there. so we booked a 4 night stay. got to know the light house keeper and her boy friend real well and they invited us to come down, they get two nights free every year for doing there keeper duties. I also would like to come down in october this fall and stay again but I am not sure yet. I will look for there web site and email the url to you

Keeper of the light
Old 08-07-2005, 11:33 PM

If it was me...and it will be me this October I'd fish Coast Guard beach down the stairs and by the light. I like it at night because it's cool to cold usually foggy with big spooky clouds blowing under the moonlight with a high rolling surf. Some nights there are some big stripers out there. Time for the 10 4-8oz rod and the 4oz. weight and fishfinder rig with a fresh bait. Its quiet out there then roam the beach until dawn yeh, October at Nauset...
Old 08-09-2005, 04:26 PM

Thanks Sippican, I have recently been doing a bit of reading in preparation for my trip, and have determined the same thing. Due to lack of Nauset 4x4 Permit, I will fish the Southern side of Chatham Inlet, which I believe is the Coast Guard Beach you are referring to. I am also going to give Nauset Inlet a shot if necessary, which I understand is not bad hike north from the Nauset Beach entrance area. I can't *******' wait. I just hope the weather cooperates. What's the avg temp up there that time of year? Also, what wind usually gets everyone going like this... up there???
Old 08-09-2005, 07:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HookedUp:
Thanks Sippican, I have recently been doing a bit of reading in preparation for my trip, and have determined the same thing. Due to lack of Nauset 4x4 Permit, I will fish the Southern side of Chatham Inlet, which I believe is the Coast Guard Beach you are referring to. I am also going to give Nauset Inlet a shot if necessary, which I understand is not bad hike north from the Nauset Beach entrance area. I can't *******' wait. I just hope the weather cooperates. What's the avg temp up there that time of year? Also, what wind usually gets everyone going like this... up there??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coast Guard Beach is the north side of Nauset Inlet, not Chatham Inlet. It is about 10 miles north of Chatham Inlet.

You can fish Nauset Inlet from CGBeach to the North or Nauset Beach from the south. Either way you have to walk. But both way is past great structure and besides, it's good excercise.

Thank God all our good outer beaches aren't at the end of a jeep tral or in front of a parking lot !!!
Old 08-31-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Nauset - October

Hooked, I have hiked from the Nauset lot to the inlet. needless to say travel light, its a long walk on soft sand. plan to stop and fish along the way, you'll get there. I loaded a backpack w/ only the items I'd need for the night, small soft 6 pack cooler w/ eels strapped to the pack and a lightwieght alum chair also strapped on...didnt catch a damn thing that time, but I'd glady make that hike again